SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 07-13-2006, 06:25 PM
Sage User

Multiple Tuners

I am wanting to start using a media center of some type and Sage looks pretty slick. Can anyone tell me if it is right for me?

I have 4 televisions that I want to be able to watch different programming on at the same time. I have 6 DirecTV satellite tuners for this today. Can I get three dual tuners for the SageTV server so I can record a couple of things and have 4 tv's watching live? I know I will need the media extenders but how will each extender know to pull a separate stream so we aren't stuck watching the same thing?

Any direction is appreciated.

JM
Old 07-13-2006, 07:23 PM
SageTVaholic

Each media extender is basically a sage client and you can watch live tv or recorded t.v. from each one seperately. You tell the server what you want to see and it streams the video.
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 07-13-2006, 07:45 PM
Sage User

RE: Multiple Tuners

So just so I understand correctly. I can have 6 different video inputs into the Sage Server and each media extender can watch a different live stream or recorded event on the server... correct?

Thank you

JM
Old 07-13-2006, 08:11 PM
Sage Fanatic

More or less correct.

Keep in mind that with ANY pvr, "live" streams aren't really live. They ARE recordings only with a delay of a couple of seconds from "live". This is what allows you to 'Pause live TV' as they like to say.

To answer your question though, yes each media extender can watch it's own DIFFERENT stream live or recorded any time you wish. In fact, each can have it own .stv (Sage 'speak' for custom UI ).

-PGPfan
Sage Server: Gigabyte 690AMD m-ATX, Athlon II X4 620 Propus, 3.0 GB ram, (1) VistaView dual analog PCI-e tuner, (2) Avermedia Purity 3D MCE 250's, (1) HD-Homerun, 1.5 TB of hard drives in a Windows Home Server drive pool, Western Digital 300GB 'scratch' disk outside the pool, Gigabit LAN
Sage Clients: MSI DIVA m-ATX, 5.1 channel 100w/channel amplifier card, 2 GB ram, , (1) Hauppauge MVP, (1) SageTV HD-100 Media Storage: unRAID 3.6TB server
Old 07-13-2006, 08:33 PM
Sage Icon

Is it possible to control 6 Sat boxes if they are all the same model?
Old 07-13-2006, 10:10 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd_maniac
Is it possible to control 6 Sat boxes if they are all the same model?
Certainly! It requires having multiple serial ports (if DirectTV) or a couple USB-UIRTs (if Dishnetwork). The serial setup is easy. As for IR, the trick is to use IR 'chicklet' style blasters. They are tiny, and paste directly on the front of your IR window. I open the case of my recievers and mount the chicklets 'inside' the units, right next to the IR reciever itself. This prevents any stray IR signal from interfering with the other boxes.

-PGPfan
Sage Server: Gigabyte 690AMD m-ATX, Athlon II X4 620 Propus, 3.0 GB ram, (1) VistaView dual analog PCI-e tuner, (2) Avermedia Purity 3D MCE 250's, (1) HD-Homerun, 1.5 TB of hard drives in a Windows Home Server drive pool, Western Digital 300GB 'scratch' disk outside the pool, Gigabit LAN
Sage Clients: MSI DIVA m-ATX, 5.1 channel 100w/channel amplifier card, 2 GB ram, , (1) Hauppauge MVP, (1) SageTV HD-100 Media Storage: unRAID 3.6TB server
Old 07-14-2006, 06:50 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGPfan
Certainly! It requires having multiple serial ports (if DirectTV) or a couple USB-UIRTs (if Dishnetwork). The serial setup is easy. As for IR, the trick is to use IR 'chicklet' style blasters. They are tiny, and paste directly on the front of your IR window. I open the case of my recievers and mount the chicklets 'inside' the units, right next to the IR reciever itself. This prevents any stray IR signal from interfering with the other boxes.

-PGPfan
Many people also just stick them on the front with black electrical tape...this isn't the most eye catching but if it is in an AV cabinet who cares.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:19 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGPfan

-PGPfan
When you say serial port.. if I don't have enough serial ports is there something I can use that will allow this via usb? I have DirecTV and will need to control two receivers sitting right next to each other.

Thank you for any advise.

Justin
Old 07-25-2006, 08:35 PM
Sage Icon

Belkin makes a usb -> serial adapter. I've had good luck with the ones I use.

Clients: HD300 x2; HD200 x2; Placeshifter

Service: EPB Fiber (1Gb); OTA (we "cut the cord"); Netflix, Hulu, etc.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:37 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemicuda
Belkin makes a usb -> serial adapter. I've had good luck with the ones I use.
Thank you for that but one more question if you have time.

What else do I need? Do the IR blasters come with the hauppage 500 dual tuner card?

Thank you.

Justin
Old 07-25-2006, 09:51 PM
Sage Icon

I haven't messed w/ the IR stuff yet although I fear I may have to if the Comcast STB doesn't play nice and have a DB9. My 500MCE didn't come w/ anything IR and it actually hosed up detection of the IR module that came w/ my 350.

Unless you get some kind of bundle I think you'll have to order blasters separately. Seems the usb-irt is the method of choice if the serial cable(s) not an option. Hope that helps a little.

Old 07-25-2006, 10:58 PM
Sage Fanatic

IR 'blasters' don't come with the PVR-500, only an 'IR reciever' does (unless it is the MCE version that is).

As for IR 'blasting', your best bet is to get a USB-UIRT (it is both a reciever and a trasmitter for IR) which will allow you to control 3 different "zones" (think 3 different STB's or 3 of the same STB's (Set Top Boxes) for a very reasonable price and is fully supported by Sage.

-PGPfan
Old 07-26-2006, 08:51 AM
Sage Aficionado

I'm using a USB-UIRT to control 3 ExpressVu stb's and it works great. There is a small bit of manual editing to do to get this to work though. The forums here step you through it easily. I have not tried multiple USB-UIRT's. Something else to keep in mind when the number of clients or media extenders grows is your network bandwidth. IMHO putting four to six clients on a 100 megabit LAN is tight but likely workable. Consider gigabit if you can.
Old 07-26-2006, 06:23 PM
Sage Icon

Question

AtariJeff:

I've got a dumb question... Even if one was to go Gbit LAN as you say, the MVP is still a Mbit port. I'm thinking maybe a switch w/ a Gbit backbone and Mbit ports? That may be old school as it's been several years since I looked at stuff like that. Mind clarifying for me? My server/workstation box has an onboard Gbit port, but all my other hardware is 10/100. My current setup is only wired for 4 clients so I may not have an issue w/ it, but I'm still curious. More so when HD MVP's hit the market.

Old 07-27-2006, 05:14 AM
SageTVaholic

That is what I use for my network. I have a 26 port switch (24 10/100 and 2 GB). I have my sage server hooked into one of the gigabit ports and all of my clients into the 10/100. This gives plenty of bandwidth for all of my clients to access the server. Like you, I figured there was no reason to buy a switch with all gigabit ports (and I needed one with at least 16 ports to support all of the ethernet drops in my house) as all my clients are 10/100 and the cost of all gigabit was pretty prohibitive for me.
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 07-27-2006, 05:23 AM
Sage Icon

16 drops? Man that must be a nice house.

Old 07-27-2006, 07:25 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
16 drops? Man that must be a nice house.
Dang, and all I've got is 12 with a 16 port Gigabit switch!
Old 07-27-2006, 09:29 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
I'm thinking maybe a switch w/ a Gbit backbone and Mbit ports?
I think that will work OK. It's the server and/or video storage box that needs the bandwidth to serve multiple clients. I went full Gbit just cuz (I'm a geek). One of my clients is actually over wi-fi and works fine.
Old 07-27-2006, 06:14 PM
Sage User

Multiple Sat Receivers Question

Ok, hopefully the last question for a while. I have 2 DirecTV standard receivers and one Hauppauge PVR-500. I currently have one receiver plugged into the PVR-500 via composite cables. When I plug the other receiver into the TV in coax jack on the PVR-500 I cannot get the Sage to complete the adding of that Video Source. When I get to Channel Setup and I click on any channel to view here is the error I get... "Watch request failed ERROR (-6) The selected input does not exist on this capture device"

I am a bit lost on this one and I sure would like to get a 2nd input going so I can DVR one system while watching another. Any help is appreciated.

Justin
Old 07-27-2006, 07:33 PM
Sage Fanatic

Hi Justin,

The problem you are having is that you can't use the coax input and the composite input at the same time. The only way you could achieve that is to connect the 'optional 2nd input bracket' that is normally shipped with the PVR-500 (if purchased from "PCAlchemy" at least) and use that for your composite input. The other advice I'd give is to try to connect using s-video only. That will give you the best possible picture with standard definition.

Using either the coax input or the composite input on board the card will get you 'tuner 1' only.

Hope this helps!

-PGPfan