SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 07-17-2006, 11:44 AM
Sage Advanced User

Ideal Sage AMD processor/memory combo ?

I have just got an AMD Sempron 3200 computer that I would like to use as a dedicated SageTV server.

I realize that while the Sempron 3200 will be just fine for recording/encoding using hardware tuners, it is too "light" to use effectively for PlaceShifting and commercial processing using ShowAnalyser IMHO.

I would like to upgrade the processor and put a decent amount of RAM (it has 256 which is too low to run XP Home, let alone anything else), so I was wondering if anyone had any opinion on the "sweet spot" I should be considering. Is an AMD dual core worth it as opposed to a single core. Where should I spend my money ? As always, I could spend $600 on the processor, but that would only be sweet for AMD. Given that AMD processors are dropping in price, I was thinking I could get something for a very reasonable amount of money.

The motherboard has a socket 939 so I should have lots of options and room for up to 4 Gb of RAM. It also has a PCI-X 16 slot that could be used for a good video card down the road.

I am using the current server to record SD from 3-4 tuner, but will be probably start using the server for some HD (there is not much content in Canada OTA unless in the three largest cities).

Any advice/wisdom you could share would be appreciated !

Last edited by Berg; 07-17-2006 at 11:48 AM.
Old 07-17-2006, 12:01 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berg
I realize that while the Sempron 3200 will be just fine for recording/encoding using hardware tuners, it is too "light" to use effectively for PlaceShifting and commercial processing using ShowAnalyser IMHO.
I don't know about placeshifter, but it's definetly fast enough for commercial processing. I've run SA and comskip on a celeron 366 and it was fast enough to process 1 show on the fly. I run comskip on a xp1400 and it's fast enough to process 4 shows at once on the fly. Anything more would be pushing it though.
Old 07-19-2006, 07:19 AM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks Blade.

I just had pretty poor performance wathcing a show when ShowAnalyzer was running, but that was on the same machine (client/server on the same machine).

It might be that seperating the client and the server will make the difference !!

Thanks for your feedback.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:49 AM
Sage Aficionado

A Sempron 3200 is faster then my Athlon XP 2000+ and I haven't noticed problems running showanalyzer, placeshifter and watching a prerecorded show all at once. I only have 512MB of ram as well....256 is not nearly adequate though, sage will use all that by itself. I can see issues if you are running HDTV however, but I like you am in Canada....I'm not getting OTA HDTV anytime soon.

The major needs for a better cpu might be lots of background video encoding of recorded shows, HDTV playback and ffdshow processing. But even HDTV playback can be handled with my cpu and a decent vid card. Anyway, I think your sempron will probably be just fine, with more ram.....give it a try, you might be surprised,
Old 07-19-2006, 04:24 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks Ben95sl1,

Yeah, there is no question that more memory is an absolute must. I was thinking that a couple of 512K sticks might be just the trick. Maybe I'll just give it a try with more memory and go from there.

As for HDTV, how I would love to have OTA sources. The only way I can get HDTV is with a Scientific Atlanta set top box, and it won't play nice with Sage will it - Maybe, one day Rogers will allow for CableCards and Sage will support them ... we can always dream, can't we
Old 07-19-2006, 05:01 PM
Sage Fanatic

memory

512MB is the minimum I put in PC's these days. I have an Athlon Xp2700 and dont see much difference betweem 512Mb and 1GB on most applications, but for the price these days I'd definately upgrade your memory, I recogn thats all you need to change.
Old 07-19-2006, 05:15 PM
Sage Icon

AMD price cuts

You will want to wait out the AMD price cuts in a few days. Example, the AMD X2-5000+ will be able to be had for $290 or so! I believe that CPU dropped nearly 55%! You can already get the AMD savings if you go through Monarch Computer, and do a combo deal with motherboard.
Old 07-19-2006, 06:34 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirby
You will want to wait out the AMD price cuts in a few days. Example, the AMD X2-5000+ will be able to be had for $290 or so! I believe that CPU dropped nearly 55%! You can already get the AMD savings if you go through Monarch Computer, and do a combo deal with motherboard.
Yep, that was what I was waiting/thinking about. Off course, spending more money than I need just to buy a more powerful processor is not what I am trying to do.

I figure after the price cuts, I should be able to place a nice and healthy processor boost in that machine .... I just don't want to put in more than is really helpful - this is a dedicated Sage server !

And yes, I know - I'm a cheap b@$t@rd
Old 07-19-2006, 06:58 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berg
I just don't want to put in more than is really helpful - this is a dedicated Sage server !

And yes, I know - I'm a cheap b@$t@rd
No, running a celeron 366 with 320 mb of ram on a BX chipset is cheap......

Works great though, been running it for over 1.5 yrs without any problems.
Old 07-19-2006, 07:16 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade
No, running a celeron 366 with 320 mb of ram on a BX chipset is cheap......

Works great though, been running it for over 1.5 yrs without any problems.
No kidding !!!! I feel like a big spender !!!