SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 07-19-2006, 01:21 PM
Sage Icon

Lost server connection stops DVD

I was watching a DVD on a client the other night when Sage Client lost its connection with the server. The Sage Client immediately stopped playing the DVD and went to the lost connection screen.

I realize that this is necessary when watching streamed media such as recorded TV or imported video but when playing a local DVD there is no reason for this. The client should have waited until I was finished watching the DVD before alerting me about the lost connection.

At least this is how I felt when my movie was rudely stopped in the middle so that Sage could tell me about a problem that had no effect on DVD playing.

Scott
Old 07-19-2006, 01:31 PM
Sage Aficionado

I had that happen too. Very annoying.

i would like to see a temporary transparent pop-up in the corner alerting us to the issue. Not staying on the screen or anything. Then, when the connection is back up, the same things happens to alert us it is back up and running.

Again, nothing large or long term. Just quick transparent pop-up with the alert in the corner
Old 07-19-2006, 04:10 PM
SageTVaholic

I'm guessing this is not fixable in the current architecture. The client can't do anything without an active connection to the server. Even when playing back local content (on DVD or hard disk), the client handshakes with the server every time you push a button on the remote. I don't know why this is necessary, but it seems to be a fundamental feature of the design.
Old 07-19-2006, 04:22 PM
Sage Aficionado

Thanks for the info Greg
Old 07-19-2006, 04:57 PM
SageTVaholic

I just tried an experiment. While watching a DVD I downed the Server and got the connection lost screen. However I was able to hit back and then (still while the server was down) start up the DVD from the begining again. I tried to just add a "BeforeMenuLoad" hook to the Server Connection Lost menu and redirect it to the MediaPlayer menu but the screen remains black until you go back to the MediaCenter screen and press play again. Not sure what this means for sure but it may be possible based on my results or at least with only a momentary lapse anyway.

BobP.

Edit: This assumes that SageTV keeps a time value for where it is in the DVD like it does for an MPG however.

Last edited by BobPhoenix; 07-19-2006 at 05:46 PM.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:56 PM
Sage Aficionado

I keep having the Lost Server Connection screen pop up in the middle of viewings, then go away after 5-10 seconds. Even in DVD's. Very annoying, especially with company.