SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 07-19-2006, 08:06 PM
Sage User

Dual Core?

Dude, you're getting a Dell.

After a previous post, I've decided to just purchase a Dell for my server. So...which would be better for Sage, a dual core 2.8Ghz 800FSB, or a 3Ghz single core? I mean to the naked eye, I would think a dual core would be better, but what do I know. So, I guess, my question is this...is it better to get a slower dual core, or a faster single core?
Old 07-19-2006, 08:30 PM
Sage Icon

if you plan to run other things like comskip, placeshifter, DVD burn stvi, etc.. then use the dual core.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:56 AM
Sage Advanced User

I agree mayamaniac, if you are going to run more then just the SAGE service then a dual core will make a difference.
Old 07-21-2006, 04:23 PM
Sage Advanced User

Lightbulb

Dual-Core, no doubts about it!
Old 07-21-2006, 05:50 PM
Sage Icon

Is there a way to set the core affinity for certain tasks yet? Maybe force the Sage instance to Core 1, and let things like Comskip and placeshift (if its a separate thread from the sage server) default to Core 0?
Old 07-21-2006, 09:07 PM
Sage Advanced User

you might try launching sagetv and comskip using batch files with this utility:
http://www.appliedvisual.com/xcpu.htm

that will give you some things stuck to a cpu/core.

you could also use this app for setting affinity after a app is launched, as it is a daemon that monitors the task list and sets affinity.
http://www.majorgeeks.com/WinLauncherXP_d870.html
Old 07-22-2006, 09:44 PM
Sage Expert

I don't think you really need a dual core. I run Sage on my computer and stream it over the network and I am able to do any task just as if I wasn't running Sage except when I was playing around with Windows Media Encoder. But I am able to game on my machine with full specs or encode DVDs just fine with no lag. And I am only running an Athlon 3200+ with a gigi of RAM. Granted I am going to dual core soon but it's because it's better but I don't think you need to have it unless if you want. Really the prices are so cheap that I say go dual over a faster single.
Old 07-22-2006, 09:51 PM
Sage Icon

Although it's not dual-core, I'm really glad I picked up the machine I'm using for a server, dual proc Xeon 2.8ghz machine... Used to be if I had a bunch of stuff recording in a given day, Show Analyzer would run most of the day processing, and using most of the processing power of the box. Now it's done almost as soon as the next recording starts (seems like it anyway). I can also stream a placeshifter client, and my MVP box at the same time, both transcoding without any slowdowns (none apparent anyway, and still be recording 3 or 4 shows). All in all, I'm very pleased with the performance of my box, although I was maxing out the 1g ram that was in the box. Dropped in another gig of ram yesterday, and the whole box feels like it's on speed .

SO I'd say, if you have the $$ to get the dual-core, by all means go for it. With the price difference, it won't take a big hit on your pocket, but will most definitely help out when you start using MVP's, Showanalyzer/comskip, and other processes on the same box.
Old 07-23-2006, 04:43 PM
Sage User

Well I ended up ordering a Dell XPS400 here are the specs:

2.8GHz Dual Core
1GB DDR2 SDRAM
250GB HDD (and I ordered a 320GB HDD from newegg)

I also ordered 2 PVR 150s from newegg, and a vBox DTA-150 from pcalchemy.

It should all be in by Tuesday so, I'll get to download Sage for the first time and start playing. I'm pretty excited.
Old 07-23-2006, 05:26 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by heffe2001
Although it's not dual-core, I'm really glad I picked up the machine I'm using for a server, dual proc Xeon 2.8ghz machine... Used to be if I had a bunch of stuff recording in a given day, Show Analyzer would run most of the day processing, and using most of the processing power of the box. Now it's done almost as soon as the next recording starts (seems like it anyway). I can also stream a placeshifter client, and my MVP box at the same time, both transcoding without any slowdowns (none apparent anyway, and still be recording 3 or 4 shows). All in all, I'm very pleased with the performance of my box, although I was maxing out the 1g ram that was in the box. Dropped in another gig of ram yesterday, and the whole box feels like it's on speed .

SO I'd say, if you have the $$ to get the dual-core, by all means go for it. With the price difference, it won't take a big hit on your pocket, but will most definitely help out when you start using MVP's, Showanalyzer/comskip, and other processes on the same box.
Looks like you need to update your specs in your sig then!
Old 07-23-2006, 06:13 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KorCar1

2.8GHz Dual Core
1GB DDR2 SDRAM

It should all be in by Tuesday so, I'll get to download Sage for the first time and start playing. I'm pretty excited.
I believe you are going to need to purchase a 2nd hard drive caddy. Dell has gotten cheap and only includes caddies with drives, do if the system can hold 4 hard drives, and you order 1, you get 1 caddy. Check on ebay, probably cheaper. Or mount your 320gb in a 3.5 -> 5.25" adapter in one of the external bays (thats what I ended up doing).
Old 07-24-2006, 03:39 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by KorCar1

2.8GHz Dual Core
1GB DDR2 SDRAM

I would actually cancel that order and wait a couple of days for the Core 2 Duo. It will give you some pretty big improvements. It comes out I beleive on the 27th but I'm sure you could order it now, or at leat on the 27th.