SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 07-20-2006, 07:18 PM
Sage User

All of a sudden, I get digital cable thru firewire?

I just did a re-install of Sage5 last night. I had firewire HD running successfully prior to this, but could only tune the 4 network stations that Comcast wasn't encrypting through firewire, as is normal. I COULD NOT see "normal" cable stations (same as I could see through the tuner card) through the firewire connection. Now, for whatever reason, I can tune Sage to one of the HD channels, then if I leave Sage on that channel and tune the Comcast box (Moto 6200) to a normal cable station, I can view it through Sage. The quality is crap (just like the STB connected straight to the HDTV), but at the least it's like having a 3rd tuner card for free. The video gets choppy from time to time (low frame rate, but the audio is perfect) but hey... free Is this standard for these boxes or did Comcast flash a new firmware or something?
Old 07-21-2006, 07:23 AM
Sage Icon

What do you mean when you say "normal cable channel"? If you are referring to analog cable channels, the DCT-6200 has an MPEG2 encoder built in that will encode analog channels and send them over the firewire ports.

If you are referring to non-HD, digital channels, then it looks like your provider turned off 5C. To check it, tune to a digital channel with the 6200 remote (viewing the 6200, not sage) and then press the power button on the remote, and immediately after the screen goes black, press select. This will bring up a service menu, scroll down to number 11, select it, and you will be able to see if 5C=0 or 1.

Last edited by Kirby; 07-21-2006 at 08:24 AM.