SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 07-20-2006, 10:55 PM
Sage Advanced User

I have to stay at version 3.x - can't upgrade to 5.x

It sucks...

I have XP SP2, and a Hauppauge 350, and 1 USB/2 tuner.

Works fine for a while on verison 5, and then I get an error message (approximate from what I remember - I will upload a screenshot in the future) "error during recoring/playback - you need to install the latest drivers".

(This is for the USB/2)

I have installed the latest version from Hauppage, and I have also tried the one on shspvr.com with no luck.

This bugs me because I miss a ton of shows when that tuner goes down.

Prior to getting the USB/2, I have a 350 and 150 in the same system at the same time, and it worked great, and then all of a sudden the IR program would no longer work, so I had no remote. I tried a bunch of registry stuff with Andy, but still could not get it to work...

Has anyone had similar problems with the USB/2 tuner?

edit: here is the screenshot - happens about 4-5 times a day.

Thanks,

Steve

Last edited by Steve2112; 07-21-2006 at 12:48 AM.
Old 07-21-2006, 03:02 AM
Sage Icon

When things like this happen, I would shutdown SageTV completely and try another software such Hauppauge WinTV to see if it a driver issue or SageTV specific issue.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 07-21-2006, 08:06 PM
Sage Advanced User

I don't know where the problem really is - I think it is buggy drivers for the USB/2, but I don't know for sure. All I know is that my system is 95% stable on version 3.0.7, and when I upgrade to 5.0.4, I get the above error message about 4 times per day, and is basically unusable - certain shows on the 350 will record, but items in the queue for the USB/2 crap the bed.

I have tried different things (I make a Ghost backup before making changes so I can fall back on that..)

I tried the HWCLEAR, and reinstalled all the drivers from Hauppauge, and I also tried the SHSPVR versions.

My other minor pet peeve is that as the days go by, my remote slowly stops working. You have to press pause/play several times to get it to do the task. If I reboot, then it is fine, but will slowly get worse as time goes by.

Other than those two issues, I love my Sage..... it would be awesome to have a 100% troublefree install like some people have. I would have that if I only had 1 tuner.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:37 PM
Sage Icon

so does the USB2 tuner work in WinTV or does it not?

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:40 PM
Administrator

You could try sending a debug log to support.

But, SageTV doesn't do anything directly with the Hauppauge remote; it just repsonds to the commands it receives from the Hauppauge software that interacts with the IR receiver. I've heard of it not working well when there is antivirus software that scans the recordings as they are played. If this is happening, you would exclude the recording/import dirs from autoscanning by the antivirus software.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:52 PM
Sage Advanced User

When I am getting the error message in the screen shot above, it does not work in WinTV2000 until I reboot, and then it works.... until that error message comes back.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:54 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
You could try sending a debug log to support.

But, SageTV doesn't do anything directly with the Hauppauge remote; it just repsonds to the commands it receives from the Hauppauge software that interacts with the IR receiver. I've heard of it not working well when there is antivirus software that scans the recordings as they are played. If this is happening, you would exclude the recording/import dirs from autoscanning by the antivirus software.

- Andy
Thanks, I may do that. The remote thing is weird, I know it does not have anything to do directly with Sage.... it is almost as if the battery is dieing, yet that is not the problem.

The only thing I have not done (which I dread) is a complete wipe of the machine, but maybe that will be the miracle cure.
Old 07-22-2006, 11:16 AM
SageTVaholic

80070017 is a CRC error, which generally means corrupted data from the USB device. You might try a different USB cable to see if that makes a difference.
Old 08-12-2006, 02:10 AM

Send a message via MSN to jisenhart
Howdy all - I'm a newb on the TV thing with PCs but have a TON of experience with XP and studio/audio recording environment (consulting and personal) and general support... I have no clue if I'm repeating something you've already tried or heard before starting this thread but what you've described is solved about 90% of the time by disabling power management SPECIFICALLY on the USB Root Hub device in the Device Manager.

To get to that setting:
System ==> Hardware(tab) ==> Dev. Mgr (btn) ==> +Universal Serial Bus Controllers(hit the "+" to see the child devices)
... and you will see some (between 4-8+?) devices called "USB Root Hub" ==>
Right-click, choose "Properties" and then you'll see the "Power Management" tab. Unless you've specifically changed it here, the checkbox WILL be checked here for "Allow the computer to turn off this device to conserve power"
==> UNCHECK THIS for all ports or play the "Which port is the device on" game by looking at loads on the "power" tab here and disconnecting devices etc. -- I turn ALL the hubs' power mgmt off - it just makes bad decisions...

"WHY is this hurting me?" you ask... My experience with respect to the IR/remote degradation and failure is that the remote simply isn't talking to the IR reciever in a period of time sufficient for XP to realize it should remain active, and it powers the port (and IR reciever) down, a one-way trip to be sure - the dang port (or child device perhaps) never does wake up without a reboot that I can see...

As to the USB-based PVR, I'm speculating based on my experiences with the mBox, NI.RigKontroller and several other pro-audio catagory USB devices, but what I find is that XP doesn't notice passive (hint: streaming) data flowing thru USB ports beyond the start and finish "events", and thus thinks that the port is unused, and so it shuts it down. My recording studio apps lose audio streams after some minutes if I forget to uncheck these after rebuilds etc. and I start recording without a timely pause (and no keystroke/USB active event on the port) to reset the port's shutdown timer...

That's my two cents anyways - it almost always sounds like the issue you describe - particularly if it's a few minutes or more prior to death, and it resets and works a bit after reboot/power up... Oh yeah - it also happens all the time on the PC Card slot for laptops - that one cost me some hours to find out and it's a BIOS setting in that case - you are warned! ;-)

Good luck and pardon the long reply there - let the thread know if this works because I haven't heard anyone mention this issue with regard to IR i/f yet - tho I'm about 1 day in on my SageTV world here...
- John I. -