SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 07-22-2006, 10:29 AM

Changing sources and Video Library disappears

I was given Sage TV version 4 as a gift a few months ago and didn't get around to installing it until a few days ago. So far i've been very happy with it but I have run into a few snags.

First, I'm using a hauppauge 150 as my tuner card... it has a tuner and composite inputs. So my idea was to set it up so that I'd mostly be using the tuner, which would recieve cable from directly from my wall. In this way, i'd be able to tune to the first 80 or so channels without having long delays while changing channels (a pet-peeve). But since I have a cable box, which has a bunch of movie channels, I was hoping to connect that to the hauppauge as well through the composite imputs. This way I'd be able to switch to using an external cable box when I felt it necessary. But after setting up both video sources, I couldn't find a way to switch between them. Meaning, I can't switch from sage tv using my tuner versus my composite inputs.

The second thing that is bothering me is that my video library keeps disappearing. Usually when I first start up SageTV, I'm able to find all of my imported videos in there... but after doing other stuff in sage tv for a while, if I come back... there's ntohing listed.

If someone could please help me out with this, that'd be fantastic!

Thanks,
Jonathan
Old 07-22-2006, 08:07 PM

Bump
Old 07-22-2006, 08:42 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by meandmyatm

First, I'm using a hauppauge 150 as my tuner card... it has a tuner and composite inputs. So my idea was to set it up so that I'd mostly be using the tuner, which would recieve cable from directly from my wall. In this way, i'd be able to tune to the first 80 or so channels without having long delays while changing channels (a pet-peeve). But since I have a cable box, which has a bunch of movie channels, I was hoping to connect that to the hauppauge as well through the composite imputs. This way I'd be able to switch to using an external cable box when I felt it necessary. But after setting up both video sources, I couldn't find a way to switch between them. Meaning, I can't switch from sage tv using my tuner versus my composite inputs.
Sage doesn't really have a way to specifically select a tuner or input while in use. I think the best way for you to set it up is to set up the coax input to tune channels 1-80, and then to set up the composite input to tune everything higher than channel 80.

YOu will need to configure two separate sources to do this. For instance, on the coax, use the standard lineup and unselect any channels you can't get on it. Then, pick a different lineup, Digital?, near-by city?, that has the correct lineup for the extra channels that the cable box can get. Unselect any channels you don't get, (premium channels?) and also unselect the channels that you want to use the internal tuner for, such as channels 1-80.

Sage will build one consolidated channel list that you will see, the Program Guide. Just select the channel you want and Sage will automatically use the internal tuner for 1-80 and the cable box for 81+.

Oh, and just a reminder, you can upgrade to V5 for free, just download the latest version and install with your existing serial number.

Quote:
The second thing that is bothering me is that my video library keeps disappearing. Usually when I first start up SageTV, I'm able to find all of my imported videos in there... but after doing other stuff in sage tv for a while, if I come back... there's ntohing listed.
Where are your imported videos located, on the Sage box, or a separate computer? Using mapped drives or UNC paths?

Last edited by ke6guj; 07-22-2006 at 08:45 PM.
Old 07-22-2006, 09:19 PM

Thanks for letting me know about the channel line-up thing! That's even easier to use that the way I was hoping to do it! As for the videos, they are on a separate hard drive inside of the same computer...

And I had not realized about the version 5 upgrade, thanks for the notice!

-Jonathan
Old 07-22-2006, 09:57 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by meandmyatm
As for the videos, they are on a separate hard drive inside of the same computer...
In that case, I would probably suggest contacting Sage directly for some help on that. In case you didn't know, "Official Sage Support" is not offered here through the forum, but through direct communication with Sage Support http://sage.tv/request.html. The forums are mainly for user-to-user support, however, you will see Sage employees occasionally posting as well.

You will probably be requested to turn on Debug logging, here is the link for info on that. I have a problem using SageTV and was asked to enable debug logging. How do I do that?. Basically, you want to run Sage until you see that the videos have disappeared, then copy/save the sagetv_0.txt file. You can read this file and see what Sage is doing, and may see some info regarding the specific video files that are disappearing.

Sage support will need to have you send them this file so that they can figure out the problem.