SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 07-24-2006, 09:51 AM
Sage User

Question Recommended media formats with extender

I've seen several people recommend sticking to standard media formats for use with the extender to maximize compatibility and minimize transcoding. I've seen that my wma lossless files don't play on my extender, and neither to my canon digital camera's native .avi files.

Maybe this is a codec issue, but all of the content plays in my windows media player, and the wma lossless plays fine on my sage pc, just not the extenders.

If anyone has any suggestions on which audio and video formats offer the best experience with the media extender, or any tips on how to make sage play my canon .avi files, I'd appreciate it. I'd rather not have to convert all of my digital camera's .avi files to use them with the sage system.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:30 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmarch
I've seen several people recommend sticking to standard media formats for use with the extender to maximize compatibility and minimize transcoding. I've seen that my wma lossless files don't play on my extender, and neither to my canon digital camera's native .avi files.

Maybe this is a codec issue, but all of the content plays in my windows media player, and the wma lossless plays fine on my sage pc, just not the extenders.

If anyone has any suggestions on which audio and video formats offer the best experience with the media extender, or any tips on how to make sage play my canon .avi files, I'd appreciate it. I'd rather not have to convert all of my digital camera's .avi files to use them with the sage system.
Based on this DataSheet pdf from Hauppauge only MP3, MPG-1, MPG-2, JPEG and GIF formats are supported so looks like your only option without transcoding is MP3 for audio and MPG-2 for video.

BobP.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:12 AM
Sage User

And Sage will transcode anything you have a codec for on the host pc?

I guess I need to search for some kind of batch converter from .avi to .mpg-2 for the video.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:44 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmarch
And Sage will transcode anything you have a codec for on the host pc?

I guess I need to search for some kind of batch converter from .avi to .mpg-2 for the video.
I _believe_ Sage uses a _MODIFIED_ third party app (FFMPEG I think) to transcode files for the MVP. So anything that it will accept for input will be transcoded but I don't know if it uses a codec on the host PC or not. I _believe_ that it reads the file directly and does not rely on a codec to process the file. However all of this is speculation on my part. Someone else that knows for sure can give you the correct answer.

BobP.
Old 07-24-2006, 12:07 PM
Sage User

I see, thanks. I guess this stuff is all in the manual, which is a little daunting. I guess I'll have to make time to read it