SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Placeshifter
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Placeshifter Discussion related to the SageTV Placeshifter application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Placeshifter software application should be posted here.

Old 07-26-2006, 11:47 AM
Sage User

Question about moving from Lan to Internet

I've been a Sage user for 2 years, starting with 2.x. I've got 5.0.4, and I'm thinking of buying a Placeshifter license for my laptop, and putting it in my Computer Office at home so I can have TV while gaming.

I'd also like to be able to take the laptop to work and connect from there, or a Starbucks.

I've read that the Internet Compression (whatever it is called, I forget) is disabled for LAN use. Does this setting auto detect when I'm on the LAN versus over the internet? Is it determined by IP? (Example: at home I connect to my Sage Server as 192.168.0.100, where as if I'm out on the road I'd connect via my Comcast IP).

Because my wife would also use this, I don't want to have to be changing my server IP in settings each time I set it up. It would be most beneficial for me to set it to use my Comcast IP all the time, even when at home (with proper ports open), and have it know when I'm on the LAN so that my wife can just plug it in and watch TV, then I can take it to work and have it work without any setting updates.

I'll download the trial this afternoon, but I'd just like some clarification on that before I start it up.

Also, since I have Sage 5.0.4 - this is all I need to act as a server, right? Currently it's my Client on the main TV in the house... I've never used it as a server. I just want to make sure that I don't need any extra software but the Placeshifter and register the license.
1.0 TB of television storage goodness
Hauppage PVR-250 + PVR-150
Old 07-26-2006, 11:59 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortanis
I've read that the Internet Compression (whatever it is called, I forget) is disabled for LAN use. Does this setting auto detect when I'm on the LAN versus over the internet? Is it determined by IP? (Example: at home I connect to my Sage Server as 192.168.0.100, where as if I'm out on the road I'd connect via my Comcast IP).
The PS client can be configured to use dynamic rate streaming, no compression, or always use a specific rate. Dynamic should work fine for you to use on a LAN or via the internet.

Then, you can add multiple connection setups so that the PS Servers Manager will show you the local and internet connections. All you have to do is choose the correct one to get a LAN connection while at home, or the internet connection while away. (If you choose the internet connection while at home, it will still end up transcoding since it doesn't see it as a local connection, as far as I know.)

Quote:
Also, since I have Sage 5.0.4 - this is all I need to act as a server, right? Currently it's my Client on the main TV in the house... I've never used it as a server. I just want to make sure that I don't need any extra software but the Placeshifter and register the license.
Yes, it is all in the server you already have installed. You just need to go to Detailed Setup -> Advanced & turn the server & PS servers on. You should toggle the "SageTV Server" option off & back on after turning on the PS Server option to make sure it gets reset.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:06 PM
Sage User

Excellent. Sounds perfect. I'll give the trial a bit of a run to verify it works on my clunky laptop, but I'm looking forward to getting this all set up. Thanks again!
1.0 TB of television storage goodness
Hauppage PVR-250 + PVR-150