SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 07-26-2006, 09:01 PM
Sage User

WinTv 500MCE tuners not changing channels.

Installed Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-500MCE Windows XP Media Center Edition, and SageTV ver4 into
Dell Dim 8400.
Pent 4 Processor 540 (3.2GHz)
1.5 GB SDRAM 533MHz
ATI Radeon 300SE series 128MB.

Settings in Media Center and SageTV recognize both tuners and load automatically. One connected s-video other composite.

MCE remote will change channel numbers on both tuners in setup and in guide but will not actually change the picture.

SageTV will schedule two simultaneous programs on seperate channels. Will start and stop recording at the correct times. But both record whatever channel that is selected by the Satellite DirectTV Remote. Will notify me of scheduling conflict if I try to schedule a third. All appears to work nicely but the only way I can actually change the channels is with the DirectTV Remote for the satellite.
Can you please point me to a place to start troubleshooting. I have read SageTV,Hauppauge, and MCE forums. Kind of saturated and very confused.
Thank You
Old 07-26-2006, 09:15 PM
Administrator

From your previous posts on this subject: did you ever look into setting up an IR blaster so that SageTV has a way to control the external converter boxes?

As I mentioned in that other thread, SageTV cannot directly use an MCE IR blaster, so if you want to use that, you will have to control it via something like Girder or HIP.

SageTV can use a USB-UIRT for IR blasting.

Or, you may be able to use serial connections to control your DirecTV boxes -- if so, that would be the most reliable way to go. ("Reliable" in terms of fewer channel changing mistakes from errant IR codes.)

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:21 PM
Sage Icon

First thing you'll need for the DTV box is either a USB-IRT (IR blaster) or a serial cable if the box has a 9pin port. I use a serial cable to change channels on the Charter-provided motorola box here at the apt. I assume your s-vid is from the Sat box and the composite is from a separate box or analog cable. You need to distinct sources to record 2 different shows at once. Search for 'DCT2000' if you can go the serial cable route, but I can't remember if it's Dave (DTV) or Charlie (Dish Net) that can use it.

Opus4 beat me to it. and it sounds better than what I typed.

Clients: HD300 x2; HD200 x2; Placeshifter

Service: EPB Fiber (1Gb); OTA (we "cut the cord"); Netflix, Hulu, etc.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:02 PM
Sage User

Eureka

Opus4 and Hemicuda,
OPus4, Yes I have installed HIP.

I think you both finally got through my thick skull. I have both tuners connected to the same DirectTV Satellite Box! I assumed each tuner altered the signal. My bust. Now that we all know that electronics is not my strong point, tell me if this thought is correct. I get another DirectTV box. Connect one box to tuner via S-Video cable. Connect the second to the other tuner via composite. Use the RF connect through the DVD/VCR.
I see some light, hope it's not a train. Thank both of you for responding and please let me know if the above looks correct.
Thanks Jim
Old 07-27-2006, 05:42 AM
Sage Icon

Seems ok to me. You might also look on the 500 card for a white header near the top edge. pcalchemy.com sells an Edge Plate w/ s-video & stereo ports. My MCE came w/ one and I bought another for my 350. Remember that there can be a maximum of 2 connections to the card. Might as well use s-video for both if you go w/ 2 STB's. Late for work.. hope that made a little sense.

Clients: HD300 x2; HD200 x2; Placeshifter

Service: EPB Fiber (1Gb); OTA (we "cut the cord"); Netflix, Hulu, etc.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:28 AM
Sage User

hemicuda,
Thank you for quick reply. Great suggestion. In the process getting second box into my study so I can test. Will send for the s-video edge plate. Let you know when all is put back together.
Jgart
Old 07-27-2006, 09:57 PM
Sage User

Hemicuda,

Jerry-rigged a second receiver. Seemed to correct most of my problems. New receiver will be installed Sat. Checked my 500mce tuner, has white A/V recepticals. Ordered the edge plate from Pcalchemy. Channel changing seemd to work, but kind of on and off again. I'll wait till new receiver in place and reset all paramaters. I'm not real thrilled with the Remote Control and Receiver for Media Center PC. Thank you and Opus4 for the directions.
Will update progress Sun.
Jgart