SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 08-03-2006, 03:49 PM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via MSN to steingra
Good A/V Switch???

I am wondering if anyone knows where I might find an A/V switch that has lots of inputs on it? 10 - 12 would be ideal. And 8 might be OK. It is for home use.

I know there are lots of A/V receivers you can buy that have lots of inputs, but they never seem to have enough of everything. Its like you get some component inputs and some digital inputs...but I would basically like to have one that has at least 8 of everything matched up.

I was thinking more of like a a/v panel that might be used in a place like best buy or circuit city where they have lots of inputs/outputs.

There must be a source for such things, I just havent had much luck finding one yet on google.

I actually use a Pelican 8 port manual a/v switch...which is OK except you cant control it with the Remote. And thats a major bummer to the others in the house that are as famliar with all the equipment as I am. Its like the chink in the armor. If I could automate that portion, I would have a completely automate-able system.

If this device had DVI inputs that would be really nice. Since I have 4 DVI sources too. Right now I have to use a Geffen DVI switch which does have remote control with it. So I can automate it. But having everything running through one device would be sweet!!!

And with HD-DVD's coming out...there will be another device to hookup...and I dont know if those will even use DVI or only HDMI???

Thanks for any ideas on big a/v switches.
Old 08-06-2006, 01:32 AM
Sage Expert

I used to use something like this: http://www.smarthome.com/8380.HTML many years ago. I got it from smarthome (the linked site). Except the one I had was a 12 port model. I later discovered that smarthome is seriously overpriced. Not sure if that is still the case since when I got it smarthome had just launched (yes it was a really long time ago).

I got it because it was the only switch I could fine which would convert s-video input to composite (I was using VHSes back then and s-vhses were overpriced) and it was one of the very few that was remote controllable. Also, I was in school and didn't have the money for a reciever of the quality required to support what I needed. Now I am sure there are many such devices around but maybe I have given you a place to start looking? Anyway, I haven't used a switch in long while because none offered component which is what I started using. Now, of course, its all computer connectors like DVI, optical and HDMI which I am using recievers for (and doesn't help you at all). Oh well, hope I was helpful in some manner.

Last edited by silkshadow; 08-06-2006 at 01:35 AM.
Old 08-06-2006, 11:18 AM
Sage Expert

FWIW (I haven't investigated it yet for usability and PQ/SQ) but Gamestop (and Bestbuy) have a ~$90 component video, svid, composite (and audio I think) switcher that has an IR remote. It's about 1U high and I've seen it in silver.

There, now you know as much about it as me