SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 08-07-2006, 11:43 AM
Sage Aficionado

Need help expanding my SageTv system?

I need help expanding my SageTv system. I currently have one computer running the full version of SageTv (Version 5 ) in my living room at the TV. I want to add a server computer running STV that I will put in a closet in the back of the house, and out of the way. I want to move my ATSC receiver card(s) (I plan to add a second ATSC card) from my living room computer to this STV server. I will also move my hard drives (and add some more) to the server in the back of the house. I need however to still keep my Hauppauge PVR-150 encoding card in the living room computer so that I can record DirecTv from the STB (via s-video) that is at that TV. From reading this forum I understand that I need the full version of STV on the computer with the PVR-150 in it in the living room just like it has now. Since I already have the full version of STV on the computer in the living room I need to purchase another full version to put on the server computer in the back of the house. My question is how do I make this work? The full version of STV in the living room would need to function like a client except for the recording of DirecTV using the PVR-150. You want to be able to schedule the ATSC cards in the server and the PVR-150 card in the living room (client) all from the living room computer. I searched this topic and found some old info about it but nothing less than a year old (that I found). I saw something about adding a command line parameter that I really didn’t understand how to do. Will what I am saying I want to do work ok? Is there any up to date instructions for doing what I am asking? I already have the server built and ready to install I just need to get it worked out as to how to configure STV. Anybody on the forum doing this? Eventually I want to setup another computer in a bedroom and configure it the same way.

Thanks!
Steve

Central Sage Server Win 10 64 Bit, Two HD200, Three HD300, & One PC Client 21 TB storage. SageTv 64 Bit
Old 08-07-2006, 11:48 AM
Sage Icon

Why don't you just put your DirecTV STB in the back room also? Then you can run the server license on the back room computer and just run the client on the living room machine.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:53 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxMox
Why don't you just put your DirecTV STB in the back room also? Then you can run the server license on the back room computer and just run the client on the living room machine.
Two reasons:
1)WAF (Easier to surf from STB than STV)
2)Encoding with the PVR-150 is almost as good as live TV, but not 100% as good. There are time when you want the best quality you can get, and that is directly from the STB to the TV.

Central Sage Server Win 10 64 Bit, Two HD200, Three HD300, & One PC Client 21 TB storage. SageTv 64 Bit
Old 08-07-2006, 12:23 PM
SageTVaholic

In your shoes I would probably just buy a second STB off Ebay and move the existing server intact from the LR to the closet. Then add MVPs or SageTVClient machines as needed in LR, bedroom, etc. Seems like a safer bet than dismantling a working server and trying to rebuild it on new hardware.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:27 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKusnick
In your shoes I would probably just buy a second STB off Ebay and move the existing server intact from the LR to the closet. Then add MVPs or SageTVClient machines as needed in LR, bedroom, etc. Seems like a safer bet than dismantling a working server and trying to rebuild it on new hardware.
Nothing will be removed fom the living room sageTv box except one pci card and 1 HDD. The STV install there now is not setup as a server since it is the only STV installation I have.