SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Linux
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Linux Discussion related to the SageTV Media Center for Linux. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Linux should be posted here.

Old 08-10-2006, 12:06 PM
Sage User

Java Errors (I think)

Okay, I've tried a clean install twice. Standard Gentoo install w/ the installprofile.xml file loaded. Both Gentoo install and sagesetup.sh install go just fine. Upon first reboot I receive an error:

In a GUI; "Error connecting to server of:java.net.ConnectException: Connection Refused."

I check the sagetv_*.txt log and it shows:

<DATE> ERROR resolving hostname:java.net.UnknownHostException: STVMC-***: STVMC-***

I tried adding the computer name to the /etc/hosts file. First install this helped, I would receive a new error in the log file. However the GUI still displays this same error: "Error connecting to server of:java.net.ConnectException: Connection Refused."

I just got done with a second install and it did not change the error. These are clean installs, new partitions.

If I click ok on the error message it dumps me to the F1 desktop session, and is displaying status reporting indicating it is trying to run Placeshifter, which appears to be why this error keeps occurring.

Anyway I can switch to a different desktop, like F2, log in, startx and the system seems to work fine. I just need to find out what this goofy error is all about, and how to config the server to bypass and simply start up the SageTV client. I don't know why it's trying to run Placeshifter, that just seems goofy.

Any ideas?

Hardware:
nMedia MP-300
Asus P4SP-MX motherboard
P-IV 3.0Ghz Hyperthreaded
1GB Kingston DDR memory
300GB HDD, western digital
Geforce FX 5500, 256MB, AGP
Hauppauge PVR500
BenQ DVDRW
Old 08-11-2006, 06:31 AM
Sage User

Hi,
I had the same problem. The problem isn't the /etc/hosts file. The problem is that the client is trying to start up and access the server before the server is fully instansiated (up and running).

Here's a quick work around

Edit the "/etc/X11/Sessions/sage" file
Look for the line that reads "sleep 3" (without quotes, of course)
change 3 to 10, save the file, reboot

This worked for me.
Old 08-11-2006, 06:44 AM
Sage User

Bingo

Yep, that did the trick. I bumped the time out to 10 instead of 3, it worked like a charm. I knew it had to be something small and silly. Thanks.

Okay, so quick question, are Placeshifter and the client the same thing now? I was mislead because I thought Placeshifter was trying to run, and it was bombing because it couldn't find the server. (Which makes sense, since the server wasn't started yet).
Old 08-11-2006, 08:01 AM
Sage User

From what I know (and I could be wrong) the client and placeshifter are 2 different programs but they both need the server in order to run. I haven't gotten that far yet, I'm stuck at source selection, I keep getting sage.PlaybackExceptions when I try to preview my tuner or watch a show i recorded on my older sage box. It says it has a problem accessing the filesystem.

I have a call into tech support to try and fix that. I wonder if anyone else had this problem on Linux and know a fix?

Thanks.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:40 AM
Sage User

Well I know this much. Linux is VERY finicky about hardware when it comes to distro and the tuner cards you use. I'm on my third motherboard. All ASUS; I started with a P5LD2-VM, went to a P5V800-MX, both had very weird problems with the Gentoo installer as laid out by Sage documentation.

Prior to finally digging up one of my old motherboards, in this case a P4SP-MX, with a standard IDE HDD and socket 478 processor all my problems revolved around integrated NIC problems, TV tuner card detection problems, or SATA HDD problems.
And I went through multiple versions of *nix. Tried Mythdora, Debian Sarge, FC4, Ubuntu Badger. It finally dawned on me that I might have imcompatible hardware when I was booting to Knoppix and AnonymOS and still having stuff not working.
After slowly discovering that that latest hardware was just incompatible I switched to old tried and true hardware. Gentoo and Sage was a breeze then. Mythdora also. I was getting some squirrely playback errors like your when using the other motherboards. Finally tracked it down to the tuner cards being detected, but not working.

Is this a new box, and are you sure your tuners are working?
Old 08-11-2006, 11:11 AM
Sage User

I had an old working sage 4.x linux box. But the motherboard was old and operated at 733. I had to upgrade. I got a Via M10000 and attached my PVR 500 from the old box to the new box. When I tried to install sage I had to modify the setup script to not install NVidia drivers and to not use their modified xorg.conf file. The only other mod was the sleep value in /etc/X11/Sessions/sage. I get it to boot right but can set up my video sources I've been at this for about a week now, contacted Sage tech support and waiting for their take on the situation.

Old 08-11-2006, 11:46 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risasi
Okay, so quick question, are Placeshifter and the client the same thing now?
For Linux, the Placeshifter is the client UI, so there is no separate SageTVClient.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.