SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 08-23-2006, 06:31 PM
Sage Icon

Question RDP and audio issues

I had problems with WinTV and Remote Desktop if I brought sounds to the local computer. Not during the session, but after I'd disconnected and Scheduler started the app to record a show. WinTV would pitch a fit and give some kind of audio exception. Best I can figure it was still trying to hook into the laptop's audio even after I'd closed RDP. The only way around this was to set it to leave sounds at the remote end or not play them at all for the duration of the link. Or make a 2nd brief connection where sounds were left at the remote end after I was done.

I'm wondering if anyone has had any kind of issues like this w/ Sage server as I'd like to reduce the number of RDP connections. I currently have to run 2 over a 256kbps pipe; 1 to a box for yahoo and the other to the sage box for admin etc. I'd use yahoo here on the laptop, but charter is having big issues and the yahoo server loses touch w/ the client randomly. WAF = 0.

I'm chicken to experiment with it this close to moving day (<2wks).

Clients: HD300 x2; HD200 x2; Placeshifter

Service: EPB Fiber (1Gb); OTA (we "cut the cord"); Netflix, Hulu, etc.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:26 PM
Sage Icon

do you have the audio enabled while using RDC and do you need audio? If not, try disabling the audio in the RDC settings if you haven't already, and that would reduce the bandwidth needed also.

I use VNC (UltraVNC) and it has no problems with SageTV. Of course, VNC doesn't support audio and RDC does. So I'm guessing thats where the problem is if you have audio enabled.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 08-24-2006, 05:37 AM
Sage Icon

Yeah, that's pretty much it; the way RDP handles audio when the connection is closed. Sound makes things convenient in yahoo.

I have VNC set up on 2 other systems so I can "teach" the local user how to do stuff as I go through the motions. RDP stinks at that since logins are a 1:1 setup. RDP also makes file transfers more intuitive than VNC. I do like VNC though. It has its usefulness. If it wasn't for SSH and port forwarding I'd not use RDP.

Oh, I think I see something I left out...

Sage and Wintv both work just fine over RDP, but it was after the connection (bringing sound here) was closed that WinTV would go belly-up on a scheduled show.

Old 08-24-2006, 03:07 PM
Sage Icon

Which flavor of VNC are you using, or are you using the default version? I use UltraVNC but there's TightVNC and RealVNC also. Each flavor gives new added features. File transfer in UltraVNC is pretty straight forward. As for SSH tunneling, I'm not sure but I think there's a way to get that working with VNC also. But as far as I know, there's no audio support in VNC, so if that's a must have feature for you then you'll have to stick with RDC. No idea how to fix the audio conflicts with WinTV though, sorry.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 08-27-2006, 08:48 AM
Sage Icon

I run a couple of flavors; ultr@ and tight. My question didn't really pertain to WinTV as I don't use that anymore now that I have Sage chugging along . I was probing the waters to see if there were any known issues w/ Sage and RDP such as that w/ WinTV BEFORE I started experiementing. It's hard to troubleshoot this kind of thing when I'm 300mi from the server 4 days at a time. Anyhow, since our work authorization w/ that company has been terminated the discussion is probably moot for now. I'll comment later on when I get a chance to really test things.

Thanks for the responses.