SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 08-24-2006, 12:38 PM
Sage Icon

Exclamation 64 bit processor *required* for Vista hd-dvd & blue ray playback

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=3922

Microsoft Senior Program Manager Steve Riley:“Any next-generation high definition content will not play in x32 at all This is a decision that the Media Player folks made because there are just too many ways right now for unsigned kernel mode code [to compromise content protection]. The media companies asked us to do this and said they don’t want any of their high definition content to play in x32 at all, because of all of the unsigned malware that runs in kernel mode can get around content protection, so we had to do this,” said Riley.

In order to playback high definition Blu-ray or HD DVD content, your PC must have a 64-bit processor and a 64-bit version of Windows Vista. Running a 64-bit version of Vista means that all drivers have to be signed. This ensures that content protection is kept in place and is something that the movie studios have been pushing for to get help stomp out piracy.

Looks like we'll be forced into buying AMD64 & Core 2 Duo systems for high-def HTPC's.
SageTV server & client: Win 10 Pro x64, Intel DH67CF, Core i5 2405s, 8 GB ram, Intel HD 3000, 40GB SSD system, 4TB storage, 2x HD PVR component + optical audio, USB-UIRT 2 zones + remote hack, Logitech Harmony One, HDMI output to Sony receiver with native Intel bitstreaming
Old 08-24-2006, 01:05 PM
Sage Aficionado

Before anyone assigns blame, note that this isn't a Microsoft requirement, but rather a requriement imposed on Microsoft by the movie studios/publishers.

That being said, does this really matter very much to anyone? I am less than enthusiastic about either high definition format. Neither of them is significantly better (in practice, not on paper) than existing DVD and they both offer very little except more DRM. I'm going to vote with my money and simply not purchase HD-DVD or BLU-RAY. I'll keep purchasing DVDs though. If enough people do that, I suspect the point will be driven home some day. (Or, worst case, prices will fall while I'm avoiding the format and I still win if I eventually decide to go that route.)

So... I'll need 64-bit VISTA to play movies that I don't intend to purchase becasue I'm perfectly happy with DVD. Darn.

As for 64-bit Windows... I don't think its unrealistic to expect users to have it some time in the next 5 years. Once drivers have been released that are stable and useable, and once people either let go of their legacy software or emulate it using virtual machines, there won't be much to hold people back. The lack of a 64bit processor isn't whats holding back the transition to 64bit platforms, its the lack of compatible software and drivers. That should all change in the next few years. (It won't change by tomorrow, though.)
Old 08-24-2006, 06:32 PM
Sage Advanced User

Not True (probably)

The joys of a 24 hour news cycle.
http://news.com.com/2061-10794_3-610...9427&subj=news

HTPC/Server: A8 3850; Win 7 Home x86 + Java 1.6.0_26; Sage 7.1.9; Driving Epson 8500 pj @ 1080p | Office: Core2Duo E8500 w/ EFI-X running OS X 10.5 & Win 7 Pro x64 (dual boot) + Java 1.6.0_20; Sage 7.0.23; Driving 30" Samsung 1900x1200 monitor
Old 08-25-2006, 05:52 AM
Sage Advanced User

I think both story's are right. The original comment by Steve Riley referred to Media Player 11 - Not Vista itself. Content owners are worried (legitimately) that copy protection is easily circumvented in the 32 bit OS and have asked that playback of HD content be limited to the (presumably) more secure 64 bit version. It is likely that companies providing playback software for sale in the US will comply. If you live beyond the reach of DMCA and the American bar, you may be able to find playback software that will work with 32 bit Windows.

I have had a copy of XP 64 bit sitting on my desk collecting dust for close to a year waiting for Hauppauge or ATI to provide drivers for one of my TV tuner cards so I could upgrade. I suspect that ATI will eventually provide drivers for the Theater 550 but those of us whth Connexant chips may remain stuck in the 32 bit world. Not that this is a serious hardship. It will take me a while to outgrow the 4Gb of memory the 32 bit address space provides.

In their paranoia, the studios have done a pretty good job of alienating the enthusiast community who tend to be the early adopters and evangalists for new technology - this is bound to slow adoption of HD. There are also a lot of us who think that SD content looks pretty good - especially with the upconverting technology built into the newer software and TV sets. This creates a double whammy for HD - too many hurdles, not enough incentive.