SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 10-11-2003, 12:38 PM
Sage User

Want to buy SageTV but....no volume control!

The subject says it all. I have a CardDeluxe which I am not willing to part with (http://www.digitalaudio.com). It's just too good sounding, despite the somewhat subpar drivers.

The volume up/down inside of sagetv does absolutely nothing. Winamp and foobar both work correctly to adjust the audio, I haven't tried anything else that uses volume controls.

Only other information I have is that the windows volume control/mixer is not available with my card/drivers. I'm sure that is related.

Would a different audio codec work, or is there an alternative volume control I can change somewhere?

Any help is appreciated!

Oh, I am using Windows XP.

Thanks,

Andrew
Old 10-11-2003, 01:12 PM

have try changing the audio renderer?.
Old 10-11-2003, 01:15 PM

For me the Sage slider is a direct perpesentation of my windows Master Volume. I suggest you try SHS suggestions or new audio drivers. It is probably something outside of Sage you have to fix.
Old 10-11-2003, 04:13 PM
Sage Fanatic

I have an M-Audiio Revolution and the latest drivers have the same issue. I use my receiver volume. If you figure out the cause let me know, maybe it is the same for the m-audio.

John
Living Room: WinXP Pro SP2, AMD XP3200+, 1GB, 1.3TB 3ware 9500S12 RAID5, GigaByte GA7N400Pro2, 2xVBOX USB2 HD Tuner<-Antennna, 1xHDHR<-Antennna , HD100 to HDMI Splitter 1080i->32" 4:3 HDTV or 1080i->92" 1080P LCD Projector
Kitchen: WinXP Home SP2, Celeron 2.0Ghz, 512MB, 40GB, Saphire ATI MB, ATI9200->19"LCD
2 BedRooms: MediaMVP
Old 10-11-2003, 06:07 PM
Sage User

I've tried a different renderer, choosing directsound (emulated) and MME drivers.

If the Revolution is anything like the Audiophile, which I have in another computer, it operates outside of the windows mixer as well. So it's probably identical problems. I'm hoping I can find a codec that works, and the problem is not SageTV just adjusting the Windows mixer for the soundcard, and if it doesn't work for that card, too bad

And using an external reciever is not an option. I have a really minimum setup, just 1/4" balanced outs straight into my powered speakers. Works great and sounds great. No fluff!

They are the "latest" drivers, about a year old, but it's miles ahead of something like my audiophile, which probably would suffer from the same problem.
Old 10-12-2003, 05:25 PM
Sage User

Just a small update. I tried the Nvidia audio codec, and while the NVDVD app controls volume just fine, it made no difference to SageTV.

I'm going to guess that NVDVD, Winamp and Foobar have some sort of software control of volume, whereas SageTV just adjusts the master volume in the windows mixer, however that is done, and depends on the mixer being linked to a soundcard, which in the case of the CardDeluxe and M-audio cards is not the case.

Since I'm using the Hauppauge WinTV PVR USB2, SageTV is pretty much my only choice outside of MCE. And I refuse to use that, MSDN subscription or not, and free or not

So hopefully there is a way to resolve this.

It would even be livable, but every channel change or start of a show resets the volume I set with the the CardDeluxe mixer to maximum, scaring the bejesus out of everybody in the house.
Old 10-13-2003, 03:58 PM
Sage

Is there some registry setting so you can change what volume the CardDeluxe resets itself to? (and make it something that's acceptable and won't scare the cats)
Old 10-13-2003, 04:08 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally posted by Narflex
Is there some registry setting so you can change what volume the CardDeluxe resets itself to? (and make it something that's acceptable and won't scare the cats)
Not that I could find. I've been poking around in there and everywhere else. I even hoped that there would be an app out there someplace that pretended to be windows mixer while controlling the volume with software for compatibility for cards that suffer from this.

Does that mean that I am screwed? No way to control soundcards that aren't compatible with the windows mixer?

Will this change in the future?

This is depressing.

I saw SageTV, ran out and got a capture card, and it's always something@!$

Computers
Old 10-13-2003, 05:42 PM
SageTVaholic

Did you try these?

CardDeluxe WDM Audio Driver-BETA

Reading the specs:

This BETA release implements the following features.

Analog and digital output streaming
Analog input streaming
Windows Mixer support
Internal clocks only
Support for Windows 2000 (SP3 or later) and Windows XP

This will do what you want...I think. Unfortunately you have to apply for these drivers. Give it a shot. This should fix your issue. Hope this helps.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 10-13-2003, 05:54 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally posted by gplasky
Did you try these?

CardDeluxe WDM Audio Driver-BETA

Reading the specs:

This BETA release implements the following features.

Analog and digital output streaming
Analog input streaming
Windows Mixer support
Internal clocks only
Support for Windows 2000 (SP3 or later) and Windows XP

This will do what you want...I think. Unfortunately you have to apply for these drivers. Give it a shot. This should fix your issue. Hope this helps.

Gerry
Gerry,

That is awesome. That link wasn't there when I last installed windows a couple months ago, and after 2 years of checking for WDM drivers I kind of gave up.

Thanks a lot. I applied, but even if they say no, the release is scheduled for November.

Overall, if the issue really is that SageTV only controls volume through the mixer API, perhaps a future feature would be doing something in software like other mp3/dvd players.

Thanks again
Old 04-08-2004, 04:01 PM
Sage Advanced User

did anyone find or figure something out for the m-audio audiophile card?
Old 04-08-2004, 05:15 PM
Sage Advanced User

I believe that most of the "high end" audio cards are similar. Certainly, my AP24/96 behaves the same way. I believe this is done intentionally, to keep as few processes as possible from changing the audio stream. Some software that can change the volume in software seems to do it outside of the Windows mixer. It is unlikely that this will change, given the market at which these cards are aimed at. The best bet is to get a high-quality pre-amp to control volume. Another possibility is using Girder to control the volume within the control panel of the soundcard. I am pretty sure somebody on the AVSForum developed a Girder GML to control the M-Audio volume in the M-audio control panel. It may be possible to do the same with your CardDeluxe.