SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 08-28-2006, 08:25 PM
Sage Icon

MVP not connecting

I have recently pruchased SageTv and an MVP. I have followed all of the instructions to the T. I have installed the Hauppauge software and had ZERO problems with the MVP. Uninstalled the Hauppauge software and add the MVP License to Sage as outlined in Appendex M. Also enabled the Extender via Setup-Detailed-Adavanced menu. The MVP starts up and sees the server and goes to connect and that's it. NADA - nothing - Not a happy camper.

THe MVP is wired and works fine with the Hauppauge software. SageTv is running as a service on WIN 2003 server w/3com NIC's. Also PC clients can attach fine.

EDIT: WOW This is not the post I posted. definetly heavy edit including the title! That's not right!

Last edited by Skybolt; 08-28-2006 at 09:39 PM.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:02 AM
Sage Icon

Update: I have tried this on a XP Pro machine and as described above, the Hauppauge software works fine and Sage does not. The MVP has the servers listed but will not connect. Also I noticed the when the MVP boots and lists the servers the Perfered column has a "O" instead of an "X" listed, not sure what that means if anything.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:10 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybolt
EDIT: WOW This is not the post I posted. definetly heavy edit including the title! That's not right!
That's because the title gave no info at all about the content of the post & was, in fact, misleading with a remark in the post about 'sorry for the title, but I wanted to get your attention.' That's not right!

- Andy
Old 08-29-2006, 11:27 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
That's because the title gave no info at all about the content of the post & was, in fact, misleading with a remark in the post about 'sorry for the title, but I wanted to get your attention.' That's not right!

- Andy
Ok - Sorry -But since I have your attention, do you have any ideas as to what might be the cause? I now believe that htis is a Licenseing issue as the hardware appears to be sound and working at least from the Hauppauge side. I also opened a Tech-support request. Thanks.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:05 PM
Administrator

Quote:
do you have any ideas as to what might be the cause?
If you've followed all the directions, including opening the firewall ports, then no... those instructions are all I know.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:29 PM
Sage Icon

Well thanks anyway. It seems that a lot of people are haveing issues with version 5 and MVP's. I hope Tech support has some ideas...
Old 08-29-2006, 03:45 PM
Sage Aficionado

Sage 5 and the MVP works just fine. I also doubt it is a licensing issue either, as if it was, the MVP would still connect it would just say something along the lines that your license is expired. Although this probably isn't your problem, I have had some cases where I had to delete the "clients' folder from the main Sage install folder. But I had never had the MVP fail to connect on a clean Sage install, so maybe you have something weird going on...
Old 08-29-2006, 04:50 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelofDeth
Sage 5 and the MVP works just fine. I also doubt it is a licensing issue either, as if it was, the MVP would still connect it would just say something along the lines that your license is expired. Although this probably isn't your problem, I have had some cases where I had to delete the "clients' folder from the main Sage install folder. But I had never had the MVP fail to connect on a clean Sage install, so maybe you have something weird going on...
I agree very strange. I even unistalled and reinstalled. I have no "CLientrs" folder to delete. I have also tried port forwarding my router. I would blame the MVP except when the Hauppauge software is installed everthing works fine with that. The sage install is as plain Jane as it gets.I am going to try a network sniffer and see what that unvails.

Edit: Update - The sniffer did not unvail anything. I enabled ICS/Firewall service added the exceptions and ports and nothing. Reinstalled the Hauppauge Cheese Wiz and that works fine - better then fine I am watching a video now! Man this is agrivating! This sage should just work like the Haup. software - Ok I'll stop whineing, Does anyone know where I could get a version 4 of sage that works.. With an MVP?
Perhaps my MVP has newer firmware - when it boots it displays 2.05 and in the server search screen it displays 1.1.38. Nothing from tech support today.

Last edited by Skybolt; 08-29-2006 at 06:44 PM.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:50 PM
Sage Icon

Ok I just tried another piece of software GB-PVR which supports the MVP and that worked fine as well. I am thinking that there is most definetly a problem with Sage and a new install. Sort like using SageMC skin. you need to install the original first then the update. Perhaps somthing is missing from the version 5 install which will not allow the MVP to work. There is no other explanation for this other wise?
Old 08-29-2006, 08:57 PM
Administrator

Quote:
SageTv is running as a service on WIN 2003 server w/3com NIC's.
Is that multiple NICs? If so, you might still need to force SageTV's use of a specific one, but I don't remember the property to do that... maybe someone who does that & reads this can let you know. Otherwise, check with support for that one.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:17 PM
Sage Icon

I GOT IT!

Well I Got it! It is definetly the SageTv. It has to do with the clients directory. I uninstalled everything (again), but this time when I reinstalled I rebooted after I enterd the license. Then I created a "clients" dir manualy, then entered the MVP license, started teh MVP and it just worked - started to download the bin. So there is definetly a BUG with the creation of the clients dir.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:30 PM
Administrator

I would be inclined to believe that the reinstallation itself did it, not the creation if the clients subdirectory. There have been plenty of other stories (long before the MVP was in use) where things didn't work right & then it worked after a full reinstall.

Anyway, glad you got it working.

- Andy
Old 08-29-2006, 10:36 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
I would be inclined to believe that the reinstallation itself did it, not the creation if the clients subdirectory. There have been plenty of other stories (long before the MVP was in use) where things didn't work right & then it worked after a full reinstall.

Anyway, glad you got it working.

- Andy
Yeah - but this was the 3rd time I did this, the only thing different was the dir creation. Any way thanks, maybe this might help someone else out.