SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 08-29-2006, 11:38 AM
Sage User

Trouble hooking to internet

I need some assistance. I have a router hooked up to my desktop in my house. I have sagetv installed on another desktop in my garage, which accesses the router and internet wirelessly. Now, my laptop has sagetv placeshifter installed on that. All three computers are hooked up through a network and I can access sagetv on my laptop through the network. I am trying to access it through the internet. I have changed the external port on the garage computer to 1027. The problem I am having is that the IP address for the garage computer (bridge network) is 169.254.184.178, and the IP address on the router all start with 192. I cannot change the router address from 192. How do I get the router to recognize the IP address on the garage computer?
Old 08-29-2006, 12:03 PM
SageTVaholic

169.254.184.178 does not look like an internal LAN address. (Those would generally start with 10.something or 192.something.) So either you've got the external (WAN) IP address of your router, or else your Sage machine is somehow talking directly to the Internet without going through the router's NAT.

Bring up a command prompt on the Sage machine and type ipconfig<Enter>. That should give you the internal LAN address of that machine, and that's the address you want your router to forward Placeshifter connections to.

If 169.254.184.178 really is the IP address of your Sage machine, i.e. if it's connected directly to the Internet without going through the router (which is probably not what you want), then maybe you could post more details of your network setup so we can figure out how to get it configured properly.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:33 PM
SageTVaholic

169.254.xxx.xxx is an address which is used when the DHCP server can't be reached. Automatic Private IP Addressing

She is looking at a bridge device, which based on her description is not required and ought to be deleted. The IP address she is interested in knowing is the public IP assigned to the routers WAN port. Go to http://www.whatismyip.com to discover your public ip. Also, if your router supports it set up a dyndns account (free)

Diane, here's my quick punchlist of what you ought to do.
  1. Upgrade router firmware
  2. Enable upnp. Usually in administration area
  3. Tell Sage server to use upnp for firewall
  4. setup free dyndns account and configure router for info

Some steps may be more involved than others and may have other things going on as well. If you need further help, please respond with router make/model.

B
Old 08-29-2006, 01:13 PM
Sage User

Don't I need the bridge connection for the network?
Old 08-29-2006, 01:24 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane
Don't I need the bridge connection for the network?
What are you bridging to?

You stated above that the desktop in the garage has its own wireless card. Unless you were sharing that connection with something else on the ethernet or firewire interface, you don't need a bridge.

The network adapter should show up in your connections window below the bridge section.

B
Old 08-29-2006, 01:34 PM
Sage User

OK. Thank you. I am sure I am going to need more help.