SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 08-29-2006, 05:14 PM
Sage User

WirelessMPV won't find IP address

I recently purchased sagetv 5 and a wMVP. Finally got sagetv to work fine, recording and live tv, control of sat set top box, etc.

It seems like all the posts go beyond my problem with the wMVP. I've tried it with Sagetv and think I've followed all the manual directions and the latest posted FAQs on the subject (that I can understand), but no luck.

I thought I had the basics of wireless networking down, but am now in doubt.
1. I have only the PC and the wMVP on the network. I have a router linksysA+G connected to the PC. The router is in g-only mode. The wMVP sees the network name and says it can connect but cant get an IP address.

2. Do I really need a router or would an access point do just as well? (Is there anything to route with my setup?)

I have been through many reboots of the wMVP, reinstalls of STV, checking router configs, opening the ports on the firewall, turning off the firewall, trying just the Haup wMVP software only. Contacted Haup tech support, (they said make sure the Authentication Type was Auto or Open--it was Open by default. So far not too helpful. Waiting for more suggestions from them too)

3. Could there be a problem with the wMVP its self? It picks up a nonexistent network called belkin54--sometimes. (I live in the country.) When I turn on my wireless laptop it never sees the belkin54 network.

(1) Any thoughts/suggestions on basic connectivity testing to make sure my network is set up right and (2) to determine if my wMVP is not a dud?

Thanks,
Marty
Old 08-29-2006, 07:06 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty
...The wMVP sees the network name and says it can connect but cant get an IP address. ...
Are you saing that your sage server shows up inhte search but does not connect or is there a nessage about no IP address? If ou can not get an IP Address make sure that DCHP is enabled on your router. And YES you defenity need a router, with out it there is no network.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:24 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybolt
And YES you defenity need a router, with out it there is no network.
This statement has to be wrong. How do you define a network? I have a access point and a network switch in my network. My server does any routing that needs to be done, but I would not call it a router. It seems to me that everyone that is having wireless MVP problems have routers. I guess I had my wireless MVP up and working properly in 15 minutes after getting it because I don't have a network.
Server : Intel Core i7 2.8 GHz Processor: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Motherboard: 6 GB Memory : 1 120 GB Intel SSD :3 2 TB WD hard drives:1 Hauppauge PVR 2250: 3 HDHomeRuns:1 HD300 extender;1 HD200 extender;1 HD100 extender 2 MVP Media Extenders: Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium all updates applied, SageTV V7.1.7.254.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:45 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlgar
This statement has to be wrong. How do you define a network? I have a access point and a network switch in my network. My server does any routing that needs to be done, but I would not call it a router. It seems to me that everyone that is having wireless MVP problems have routers. I guess I had my wireless MVP up and working properly in 15 minutes after getting it because I don't have a network.
My appologies, I did not want to take this post that far. Absolutly you can have a server act as a router and handle all traffic, even with a USB Access point. If there is only a standard PC and an access point and no other PC's/inet appliances then no problem. But if there are multiple pc's/inet devices, something has to be the NAT at least or ICS. Your routing get a little foggy at that level and thing don't always work that well. IMO it is much easier to use an off the shelf router the it is to set up a fully functional NAT. JMO.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:08 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Are you saing that your sage server shows up inhte search but does not connect or is there a nessage about no IP address? If ou can not get an IP Address make sure that DCHP is enabled on your router. And YES you defenity need a router, with out it there is no network.
Right now I'm just trying to get the Haup software to work. I'm at the screen as shown in the Haup Wireless MediaMVP Installation Guide called "Network Name/SSID Setup. Under SSID I see linksys-g (which is my router or access point from the router). Guess I'm calling that the "network." (or ONE network). Should I call it the SSID?

Yes, I double checked and DCHP is enabled--was the default on the linksys.

I select the linksys-g connection. I get the next window, the MVP wireless settings window which has linksys-g as the network name (ssid), Operating mode: Infrastructure, WEP, security, & encryption & WEP key all disabled; then click Apply.

The message that comes back is essentially this:

Checking wireless access point.

Then

The MVP successfully connected to this wireless access point but is unable to obtain IP address.

THat's as far as I can get.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:33 PM
Sage Icon

Marty - Are you using a router, and/or does your access point have/support DHCP? If your not using a router and your access point has DHCP, then enable it. Most access points support DHCP but do not have it enabled. This may be your problem. Most home network routers have DHCP enabled by default. Another thing you may want to try is, do not use wep yet. disable the security and try that first. If the WEP security is not set right the MVP will not connect. THe SSID (Server Set ID) is just a means of identification and both the MVP and acess point need to have the same SSID for auto discovery to work - any name will do, it's not important. It looks like you did this thiugh, but I am just double checking. if this is correct Please be specific as to your network setup what router/access point ect. and I will try and help.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:52 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Marty - (1) Are you using a router, and/or does your access point have/support DHCP? If your not using a router and your access point has DHCP, then enable it. Most access points support DHCP but do not have it enabled. This may be your problem. Most home network routers have DHCP enabled by default.
(2) Another thing you may want to try is, do not use wep yet. disable the security and try that first. If the WEP security is not set right the MVP will not connect.
(3) THe SSID (Server Set ID) is just a means of identification and both the MVP and acess point need to have the same SSID for auto discovery to work - any name will do, it's not important.
(4)It looks like you did this thiugh, but I am just double checking. if this is correct Please be specific as to your network setup what router/access point ect. and I will try and help.
Thanks Skybolt-
(1) I'm using a router (linksysa+g) which I asssume serves as the access point for my PC. It has DHCP enabled by default (I checked).
(2) I am not using wep / any security at all. Also my Windows firewall is down.
(3) The SSID is "linksys-g" which was the default for the router. I tell the wmvp to connect to this (via the Haup MeduaMVP Wireless Settings screen). Not sure how else the MVP would know what SSID to connect to.
(4) the SSID is linksys-g; Operating mode: Infrastructure, WEP, security, & encryption & WEP key all disabled; Authentication is "open";DHCP enabled; access point set to "802.11g-only" mode set.

I'm not sure what else about the network set up would be helpful. Most are defaults.

One other thing: my Haup remote green button will no longer turn the MVP on/off; it just causes the red light to blink. I've tried power off many times & for long periods with no change in mvp response. (When I first powered it up out of the box, the remote would turn the MVP on/off.) THis may not mean anything.
Old 08-30-2006, 10:48 AM
Sage Icon

Not sure about the power on/off thing that does not sound good though.

Everything sounds right with your network setup, is there anthing else in the house that is wireless that can connect to the WAP? You might want to try putting the wireless in to B/g mode for now, although this should not matter, but simple is always best at first - WEP and G only can be done later. I would also unistall the Hauppauge software and delete the directory afterwards and reboot. Get the latest software from the Hauppauge site and re-install that, but make sure that SAGE is not running and/or the service is stopped. Also is your PC wired or wierless? and can the PC access other devices or the internet? If all of this does not work I would try Hauppauge directly and get there software working first, you could have a defective MVP. Good Luck
Old 08-30-2006, 08:57 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Not sure about the power on/off thing that does not sound good though.

Everything sounds right with your network setup, is there anthing else in the house that is wireless that can connect to the WAP? You might want to try putting the wireless in to B/g mode for now, although this should not matter, but simple is always best at first - WEP and G only can be done later. I would also unistall the Hauppauge software and delete the directory afterwards and reboot. Get the latest software from the Hauppauge site and re-install that, but make sure that SAGE is not running and/or the service is stopped. Also is your PC wired or wierless? and can the PC access other devices or the internet? If all of this does not work I would try Hauppauge directly and get there software working first, you could have a defective MVP. Good Luck

Nothing else wireless except a laptop with a 3com NIC, which is kept off, and which has no problem connecting to the pc via the "network."
Wireless is in g-only mode per instructions in the wMVP Guide, but will try in B/G.
Have downloaded the latest Hauppague software and am using it. Will need to redo and make sure Sage and service is stopped.
Dont know if Pc is considered wired or wireless. router/access point (LinksysA+G router) is connected to pc by ethernet cable.
The pc can be accessed via the router by the wireless laptop, if on. Pc is connected to phone line for dialup access to internet.
Am trying to contact Hauppaupe directly as it is their soft and hardware to get to work first--then Sage.
Am thinking I could have a bad MVP too. We'll see.

Thanks Skybolt, you've given me something to work on. Maybe there will be progress. Will post results later.

Last edited by Marty; 08-30-2006 at 09:00 PM.
Old 09-15-2006, 08:02 PM
Sage User

Can't obtain IP Address

I have the exact same problem as marty. wMVP works fine wired. Sees my wireless router, in g mode, no security, windows firewall disabled (yikes) but cannot connect. Is there a solution??
Old 09-16-2006, 06:40 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbowser
I have the exact same problem as marty. wMVP works fine wired. Sees my wireless router, in g mode, no security, windows firewall disabled (yikes) but cannot connect. Is there a solution??
FOr what it's worth... It's a network issue - not a problem with the wMVP...

I have had one since beta and have had difficulty with it on the same exact thing.

I have a Belkin pre-N router hooked up as a bridge to my network... I, too, can see the Router, but cannot get an IP... I have not messed with it recently, but vacation looms nearer...

-Jason
Old 09-22-2006, 03:13 PM
Sage Advanced User

Just to let everyone who has a Belkin N1 know, there may be major problems with it and streaming your video...

Belkin N1 Wireless Router: Neighbor-Friendly but Flawed Draft 11n

Basically they found a problem with "Multi-second pauses in high-speed wireless traffic"...
HTPC: Intel i5-4670, 8GB DDR3, EVGA GTX1060 Superclocked ACX 2.0, Intel 510 120GB SSD, LG GGW-H20L BD-ROM, 3x Sony VGP-XL1B3 200 disc Media Changers, Win7 Premium 64bit, Haupauge HD-DVR 2 Gaming Edition Plus
Old 09-25-2006, 03:19 PM
Sage User

Looks like the router brand to me. Am I wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason
FOr what it's worth... It's a network issue - not a problem with the wMVP...

I have had one since beta and have had difficulty with it on the same exact thing.

I have a Belkin pre-N router hooked up as a bridge to my network... I, too, can see the Router, but cannot get an IP... I have not messed with it recently, but vacation looms nearer...

-Jason
I never expected to get it to work. First hooked the wMVP up completely wired and got it to work.

Then, for the heck of it, got another router, a new Belkin wireless g as I could not find a wireless bridge/game adapter in town. Tried the Belkin set on g only and got the wMVP to work wireless the way it was supposed to. I tried my Linksys A & G many time but it never worked. Same settings on both as near as I can tell.

Is it the brand of router or luck?

Does having it work wired had any residual benefit?

Thanks,
Marty
Old 09-25-2006, 05:00 PM
Sage Advanced User

I have been saying since the day I got my wireless mvp that it is and has been the network for most of the problems people see. Grant it the antenna on the mvp isn't all that great, but Sage doesn't make them, so I can't blame Sage for that problem.

I had some extensive threads a while back on what I did and how I got up and running, but it is complicated stuff that I did and only works for my equipment. If you have a different router, well, you probably can't do what I did (you might be able to, but you might not). Personally I have been running fine since the patched bin file was posted a couple months ago, and havn't looked since then into upgrading until now. Only reason for that is because my HTPC got hacked/hijacked a few weeks back and I have been unable to recover the OS (they installed hacked versions of many basic commands and executibles, since I discovered 2 so far, I am just going to have to do a complete install since I may never be certain if I found them all, which really sucks if you don't know especially since I had ffdshow all configured as well).

Anyway, I am running the latest patched mvp.bin file that is/was in the mvp blinking thread blinking mvp thread. I also have different antenna's installed on my wireless AP to get increased signal strength due to my home environment. And I have my wireless AP configured to give a static IP address to both my HTPC and the wireless mvp (although this last part is not a requirement to work, it is just something that makes my life easier managing my sprawling home network which is continuing to grow almost daily).
HTPC: Intel i5-4670, 8GB DDR3, EVGA GTX1060 Superclocked ACX 2.0, Intel 510 120GB SSD, LG GGW-H20L BD-ROM, 3x Sony VGP-XL1B3 200 disc Media Changers, Win7 Premium 64bit, Haupauge HD-DVR 2 Gaming Edition Plus

Last edited by Fallen Kell; 09-25-2006 at 05:06 PM.