SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 08-29-2006, 09:32 PM

Intense stuttering since upgrade to 5.0.4...

OK, I'm at a loss.

I have been using Sage 4 for almost a year now succesfully and this weekend I upgraded to Sage 5. I have a server running Sage (also, Xlobby, ZoomPlayer, Winamp, X10, PowerDVD and Girder) and four clients.

I decided to perform a few modifications on my server (in my sense minor, but hey you never know...). I had 4 x 250gb hard drives (SATAII) with drive 1 being the OS drive. Since I was wasting a LOT of disk space, I decided to use an older IDE drive (80gb Maxtor) as the system drive. I made an image of SATA drive 1 and restored the image onto IDE drive 1. Format SATA drive 1 and put it at the end of the chain so that the sequence of drive letters do not change. Everything booted up normally and the system seems to be in good shape.

I tried Sage 4 again and made sure everything was working correctly. So far, so good. Making sure the system was working as before the changes were made.

I upgraded now to Sage 5 and a few things went to hell. First, I lost my IR codes (USBUIRT) to control my sat receiver. I tried to re-import the .IR file to no avail. I tried to create a new one and then copy the old one on top - nope - still no go. After a couple of hours of frustration, I decided to forgo for now and will fix it up later. I started Sage 5 and noticed that the video feed (Hauppage PVR 250 on S-Video input) is now very jerky - when I say very jerky, I mean VERY jerky. It looks like the video feed is showing about 10 frames of video, goes back 5 frames, replay the next 10 frames, goes back five again, plays the next ten - you get the picture. Meanwhile, the audio portion is flawless... this is unwatchable. I verify my video settings - VMR9 and PowerDVD "drivers" are in use - like it used to be.

I say to myself, OK, screw this - let's start from scratch. I uninstall Sage 5 and re-install. Well - it looks like it kept its original settings - so no luck in recuperating my IR file here. Back to square one. I uninstall again, and then delete the directories of Sage where the settings are kept in. This time I can run a complete configuration and put my proper IR file in - Hurray! it works, but, wait a minute - no matter what I do, my "Sage Recordings" are not showing anymore... Okay - had to import them as video files and I haven't lost them - annoying but I can live with it. Now the ultimate test, start the video and ... guess what - same freakin' weird stuttering again.

I haven't got to "downgrade" yet. I am waiting to see if any of you have seen this problem and if there is a solution before I gave up and go back down to V4.

Here is a little more information on that system.

P4 S775 3.0ghz processor, 2 gig of RAM, ATI X600 video card, Hauppage PVR 250 - 4 SATAII drives of 250gb each (non-RAID) plus 1 80 gb Maxtor IDE for the system drive. Sage is installed on the IDE drive (but it did not stutter with V4) with data residing on SATA drives.

Any insights will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Sylvain
Old 08-29-2006, 10:24 PM
Administrator

If you kept a copy of your old wiz.bin: shut down SageTV & put it in your SageTV directory, replacing the new one. That should give you your old recordings back w/detailed info.

I'm not sure what to do about it, but do the old recordings stutter, or just new recordings? If it is new recordings, have you tried playing the files in another player to confirm they play OK?

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 08-30-2006, 06:59 AM

The stuttering is happening only on new recordings (or live TV) - old ones are playing just fine.

I don't have the wiz.bin file anymore. Thanks for the tip - it will serve for the future.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:35 AM
Administrator

You can try enabling debug logging & see if support finds any problems during a recording.

Do the new recordings play OK in some other player, or on another PC?

Try the Hauppauge softtware to make sure it can produce good recordings.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:14 PM
Sage User

I'm having issues with V5 as well with my PVR500. Audio works fine, but I get really messed up video live or recorded. Anyone know where I can try V4? I'm looking to buy some software but I want it to work!!!
Old 09-06-2006, 11:55 PM
Sage Aficionado

http://www.sage.tv/postDL.php?tmpFil...4_1_4Setup.exe
Try and report back
Old 09-07-2006, 12:14 AM
Sage User

same issue basically...no change! AGH!!!