SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 08-30-2006, 08:40 AM
Sage Aficionado

Question Newbie Question: Live TV

I was playing around with SageTV last night, and noticed a couple things that seemed a bit odd to me given my prior experience with ReplayTV and Moxi DVRs. Now, I certainly don't want this to become a "SageTV vs. Other DVR" issue--I just am trying to understand SageTV's logic in light of my experience with other DVR's. That said, my question revolves around the concept of "Live TV":

I started by watching "Live TV" on channel 66.

Next, I went to the Main Menu and selected "SageTV Recordings", and started watching a recorded show that had previously recorded on channel 9.

I then went back to the Main Menu, and selected "Watch Live TV" and SageTV resumed the recorded show I was watching, not Live TV.

Because I actually wanted to watch Live TV, I I went to the Program Guide, and found that it was focused on channel 9 instead of channel 66. I entered "66" and was able to then watch channel 66 live.

So this brings up two points:

1. It seems that SageTV is defining "Live TV" as "the last available recodred show watched", not actually "Live TV". Can someone confirm this?

2. And because of point #1, when you go back to the Channel Guide, SageTV "forgets" the actual last viewed "live" channel (in this case, channel 66), instead pointing you to the channel refereneced by the last recorded channel watched (in this case, channel 9.)

I think I understand SageTV's logic on this. It appears to treat "Live TV" as a recording just like other recordings (as opposed to a "buffer" found in other DVRs.) The logic makes sense in function, but from a viewer's perspective, it seems to not be so intuitive, particularly with respect to "Watch Live TV". When I select "Watch Live TV" I would expect just that: jump to channel of the last watched live TV show at the "live" point in the current aired show.

Comments?

HTPC: AMD ASUS M2N-E Socket AM2 Motherboard; Athlon 64 3200+ Orleans 2.0GHz; 2GB RAM; eVGA 256MB Geforce 7300LE; 1x40GB IDE HDD (OS), 2xSeagate Barracuda 320GB SATA HDD (Recordings); Antec Overture II Case; Windows XP Pro SP2; SageTV v6.5
STV: SageMC
Video sources: Currently, none. I'm using SageTV for Music, Photos, and Video playback.
Old 08-30-2006, 10:01 AM
Administrator

I don't remember when this changed, but the Live TV command used to play back the current media, if something was playing. Now (maybe v5.1 if it doesn't do this in v5.0), it will stop the currnet media if it has to & start lie TV instead.

However, it may still count the last recording's channel as the last channel viewed.

Also, if the recording happened to be live TV (i.e.: it was a currently recording show), it will return to that one because it is live TV.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.