SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations > SageMC Custom Interface
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageMC Custom Interface This forum is for discussing the user-created SageMC custom interface for SageTV.

Old 09-01-2006, 03:00 PM
Sage User

Recorded TV FF/RW Freezing v5 with SageMC 6.9

Has anyone else run into this (and found a fix?). I just rebuilt my pc and reinstalled v5 and SageMC (6.9 I believe), and when RW/FF it freezes the video. Sometimes it will unfreeze and catch up, othertimes I have to hit pause, then play to get it going. This did not happen before the build, so I know it's not the hardware. Just not sure where to start looking. Here are the specs.

2.8ghz HT enabled (Dell 400sc PC Intel 875 chipset, onboard sound)
512mb ram
300gb x3 drives (900 total- Primary SATA, other two PATA)
ATI Radeon 9800pro
Running in Exclusive Mode using VMR9 +ffdshow (default settings)
Codecs - installed the matroska codec pack

edit- forgot to mention running Java 1.4.x

Last edited by govgeek; 09-01-2006 at 03:07 PM.
Old 09-01-2006, 06:33 PM
SageTVaholic

I haven't seen this problem. I'd suggest loading the default STV and see if it happens with that. It would help determine if the issue has anything to do with SageMC.

Aloha,
Mike

Edit: I'd next look at temporarily getting rid of ffdshow. It is a serious resource hog and would be my first guess as to where to look for a problem. I'd also take a look at your codec after that. I think most here would recommend the Nvidia Purevideo codec. It has very good picture quality and can offload some of the work to your GPU (even on an ATI video card) in DXVA mode. I think it does as well as anything you can do with ffdshow.

Last edited by MeInMaui; 09-01-2006 at 06:39 PM.
Old 09-02-2006, 06:37 AM
SageTVaholic

My guess would be FFDshow is pegging out your CPU causing problems when FF/RW or the decoder you're using in FFDshow is causing it. I agree with turning off FFDshow and using a different decoder to see if it fixes the problem.

Personally I'd dump FFDshow all together. The ability to offload some of the work to the GPU is very helpful and as far as I know FFDshow forces all of the work to be done by the CPU. The scaling and deinterlacing of most modern video cards is as good and in some cases the deinterlacing is better than anything FFDshow can do.

Also using codec packs is usually asking for trouble. It's better to just download and install individual codecs as needed. Packs tend to install a lot of garbage you don't need.