SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 09-05-2006, 09:09 AM
Sage User

OTA HD Channel Setup

I am trying to get SageTV to recognize my HDTV OTA signal from and antenna. When I set it up as OTA from digital signal and have it scan channels, it fails to find any. If I just accept all the cannels, it can play (and presumably record) at least some of my known HDTV (like PBS HD).

I am using the Fusion 5 HDTV RT Lite on an XP pro system.

Do I need to somehow manually enter the correct channel info? Is there another way in "import" this information.

Of note, I'm in Boston and can receive a number of HD channels OTA.

Thanks for any help.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:40 AM
Sage Icon

Scanning works on my setup, but you could use the Fusion app to find the channels and then input them as 7-7-1, 45-45-1, 45-45-2, etc... in Sage. What's your signal strength/s when using the Fusion app? I have a Fusion5 Gold.

P
Old 09-05-2006, 12:16 PM
Sage User

signal strength

When I actually get the fusion SW working it's usually around 80+ %.

My problems related to trying to use multiple Fusion 5 HDTV RT Lites simultaneously continues to baffle and frustrate! IRQ issues are somewhat beyond my simple mind and just switching around the PCI cards has repeatedly failed to prove successful. Maybe I need to try an older driver or something...
Old 09-05-2006, 01:46 PM
Sage Icon

80% seems to be the bare minnimum on my box. Any dips into the upper 70's cause all sorts of reception problems. Any way for you to get the signal to 90+ (Amplification)?

P
Old 09-06-2006, 11:17 AM
Sage Fanatic

Hi,

80% is skating on the edge for me as well. If you are getting 80% without an amp you may want to try one. It made all the difference in the world on my install.

I had pretty poor luck with the sage channel scanner myself. I used the signal strength meter utility that came with my vbox tuners to find out what I could receive and then just activated those channels in sage. Even though the scan came up with zip the channels tuned in just fine. You may want to make sure that sage is completely shut down when using the fusion software. That was the only way I could get the vbox utility to work.

Jesse

Last edited by Jesse; 09-06-2006 at 11:21 AM.
Old 09-06-2006, 01:54 PM
Sage Advanced User

How are digital channels manually typed in- both in Sage and using the vBox signal meter?

When Sage does an auto scan it finds many of the channels in my area- like CBS which is 2.1 on Zaptoit. The channel comes in fine in Sage. However I am unable to check the signal stregnth using the meter. If I type that number in the physical channel box I get nothing.

Is there a proper way to type these things in?

Thanks- I am an HD newbe
Old 09-06-2006, 04:11 PM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via ICQ to teknubic Send a message via AIM to teknubic Send a message via MSN to teknubic Send a message via Yahoo to teknubic
Whew. Finally found it
HTH
EDIT: I guess I should explain more since that post really doesn't answer your question...
The vBox signal application has three boxes. I got the channel list from antennaweb.org and plugged in the numbers thusly:
First box: <frequency assignment>
Second box: <channel>
Third box: <sub-channel>
So for that pic, I would test the strength of the signal by telling the vBox signal meter app to tune channel 56 / 15 / 1 for KNXV-DT.
Make sense?

Last edited by teknubic; 09-06-2006 at 04:18 PM.
Old 09-06-2006, 06:30 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks-

I will give that a try!
Old 09-10-2006, 12:19 PM
Sage User

Without Vbox

Thanks for all the suggestions. Once I have some free time, I will need to do some more investigating.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:46 AM
Sage User

Quick update:

If I'm remembering correctly, I did get this working by just selecting the tuner as a "TV tuner" in sage rather than a digital one. It could still record HD doing that and the channel scan worked fine.

Thanks