SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 09-05-2006, 02:15 PM
Sage Aficionado

Some pre-sales hardware questions...

A few questions about MVP...

1. Aside from cost and included software, is there any difference between the Hauppauge wired MVP and the SageTV wired MVP?

2. As of today, SageTV does not have any wired MVP's in stock, but other sources do have the Hauppage wired MVP in stock. So, if I was impatient, I could just buy the Hauppauge version and the Sage license, and it would be the same as the SageTV version, correct?

3. Can the Wireless MVP be used as a Wired MVP? Can wireless be disabled if I don't want to enable wireless immediately?

HTPC: AMD ASUS M2N-E Socket AM2 Motherboard; Athlon 64 3200+ Orleans 2.0GHz; 2GB RAM; eVGA 256MB Geforce 7300LE; 1x40GB IDE HDD (OS), 2xSeagate Barracuda 320GB SATA HDD (Recordings); Antec Overture II Case; Windows XP Pro SP2; SageTV v6.5
STV: SageMC
Video sources: Currently, none. I'm using SageTV for Music, Photos, and Video playback.
Old 09-05-2006, 02:34 PM
SageTVaholic

Yes they are the same. I would check out PCAlchemy they sell both the MVP and the SageTV MVP client. Personally I would try whatever possible to use wired. Too many ways to interrupt the signal and cause viewing problems. Plus for me I'm not confident that I could make it secure enough but with wired I only have to worry about my Internet connection.

BobP.

Last edited by BobPhoenix; 09-05-2006 at 02:37 PM.
Old 09-05-2006, 04:08 PM
Sage Icon

Take a look at the wired MVP vs wireless MVP Poll

http://forums.sage.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=19724
Old 09-05-2006, 09:02 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarr
A few questions about MVP...

1. Aside from cost and included software, is there any difference between the Hauppauge wired MVP and the SageTV wired MVP?

2. As of today, SageTV does not have any wired MVP's in stock, but other sources do have the Hauppage wired MVP in stock. So, if I was impatient, I could just buy the Hauppauge version and the Sage license, and it would be the same as the SageTV version, correct?

3. Can the Wireless MVP be used as a Wired MVP? Can wireless be disabled if I don't want to enable wireless immediately?
1. - It comes in te Hauppauge box and software. Exactly the same. It also includes the Sage MVP client license.

2. Try NewEgg.com $89 us. PCAlchemy.com for the rest.

3. Yes - from the hauppauge site " Connects to 802.11G wireless networks.Optionally uses wired 10/100Mbit Ethernet networks for the best performance with any type of digital media."