SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 09-06-2006, 07:47 PM
Sage User

HDTV sound issue

I am a definte newb when it come to HDTV. I recently installed a vbox 150 and am having issues with sound on the channels. It is supposed to be coded in AC3 or something like that right?
Whenever I play the files I record back (or watch live tv) thru my client I am having issues with 1. really low sound volume and 2. just generic stereo being sent to my receiver. How do I set this all up?

Lost and confused...
Old 09-06-2006, 07:51 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitslayer
I am a definte newb when it come to HDTV. I recently installed a vbox 150 and am having issues with sound on the channels. It is supposed to be coded in AC3 or something like that right?
Whenever I play the files I record back (or watch live tv) thru my client I am having issues with 1. really low sound volume and 2. just generic stereo being sent to my receiver. How do I set this all up?

Lost and confused...
What decoders do you use? If all you want is optical pass through, nvidia is great. If you want level sound across hd and sd, I use Sonic, but somewhere on the forums are detailed config instructions for ac3 filter.

B
Old 09-07-2006, 06:51 AM
Sage User

I am trying to use nvidia but... whenever I specifically tell the audio to use nvidia I get no sound whatsoever.
Old 09-07-2006, 07:40 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I am trying to use nvidia but... whenever I specifically tell the audio to use nvidia I get no sound whatsoever.
What is the output connection on your sound card?
Old 09-07-2006, 08:08 AM
Sage User

Quote:

I've recently had the same problem as well. Try changing to Intervideo for the audio decoder, and see if it works. I did that and my audio was restored.

Phil
Old 09-07-2006, 08:40 AM
Sage User

I am using the SPDIF out on the Xi-Fi card that I have in the machine... I also have mutichannel analog going to the receiver. The SPDIF does work but it only send a stereo signal to the receiver.
I will try switching to a different audio decoder tonight (I think i have it set on default)...
Old 09-07-2006, 03:10 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcjenkins
What decoders do you use? If all you want is optical pass through, nvidia is great. If you want level sound across hd and sd, I use Sonic, but somewhere on the forums are detailed config instructions for ac3 filter.

B

Are you talkinga bout the Sonic Cinemaster video decoders? I'd like to normalize my SD to HD sound as well - currently I have to crank it way up to hear HD - and I always seem to forget when I switch back to SD - wow is that loud!
Old 09-07-2006, 04:02 PM
Sage Fanatic

Hi,

I dont believe nvidia will decode surround except with Theatertek. As bcjenkins pointed out nvidia will do AC3 passthrough to allow your receiver to do the decoding. You will, however, need to set the nvidia decoder to do spdif passthrough. Go to speaker setup and for "connected to..." select "a receiver." Make sure the box for "via an SPDIF cable" is checked.

If you have allready done this and get no audio then I am out of guesses execept to make sure that sage is set to use the spdif out on your sound card as the renderer.

Our only HD set is in the bedroom and we have no surround capabilities there. Tonight I will play back some HD in the family room where I have surround set up. I will post back and let you know if I am getting surround or not.

I too am seeing very low audio levels on HD captures. Like you, I am using a vbox tuner (usb in my case). I wonder if this is an HD thing or a vbox thing?

HTH

Jesse

EDIT: Just remembered this thread: http://forums.freytechnologies.com/f...ad.php?t=19645
Maybe some help there?
Old 09-07-2006, 07:32 PM
Sage Fanatic

Hi,

Just tested three different HD recordings on the family room SDTV and receiver. Dolby Digital on all of them. I need another HD set.

Jesse
Old 09-08-2006, 06:14 AM
Sage User

I was able to solve this last night.

All I had to do was to specifically set the audio renderer to my xi-fi. I think that my default audio decoder is the nvidia. When I changed this as well it also did 5.1 just fine. It even did it when I changed the decoder back to default.

So it looks like something was wonky with the Xi-fi setup. Not quite sure what it is because it was having to use the xf-fi to give me sound in the first place. Either way I was able to test it on two recorded HD shows and they worked just fine for sound (stutter is another issue!)
Old 09-08-2006, 07:34 AM
Sage Fanatic

Glad you got it working.

Jesse
Old 09-08-2006, 07:59 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by davey_fl
Are you talkinga bout the Sonic Cinemaster video decoders? I'd like to normalize my SD to HD sound as well - currently I have to crank it way up to hear HD - and I always seem to forget when I switch back to SD - wow is that loud!
Yes, but I only use the audio portion. I use Nvidia to decode video. Well worth the 15 bucks because I didn't have to futz AC3 filter either. Which I understand will work if you adjust the settings appropriately.

My only complaint with this setup is that I can't get AC3 pass through if I want to crank up the stereo for DD5.1 on a movie or HD broadcast. I have to go in and switch the decoders around. Maybe an AC3 Filter expert can weigh in on if it is smart enough to do both without any changes?

B
Old 09-09-2006, 05:34 AM
Sage Aficionado

thanks. I added them in but I only see Sonic Audio Decoder show up under MPEG2 Audio Decoder - not under Audio. Does your sonic show up under Audio??
Old 09-09-2006, 08:47 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by davey_fl
thanks. I added them in but I only see Sonic Audio Decoder show up under MPEG2 Audio Decoder - not under Audio. Does your sonic show up under Audio??
That's what you want. The audio decoder.

B