SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 09-07-2006, 12:07 PM

How I Picked the Sage Comunity

I just thought I would post a quick note in here about my experience of deciding to take on the project of building my own PVR for those out there that may be sitting the fence and lurking on the boards.

Origenally I just wanted a DVR. I looked at my cable company, they require you to have digital cable in addition to an added monthy cost for the box, boosting my montly bill by over $30 a month. Next I looed at TiVo and it is $20 a month. I knew you could use your computer so I started looking and quickly found Myth, Beyond TV and Sage TV. I was quickly impressed by the added functionality they have over the boxed hardware and the price over a year was next to nothing. I had several old PCs that were more than enough to run any of the software packages. With the decision made to do it I just had to pick which one to go with.....and convince my wife this was a good idea.

Myth was out almost instantly. I consider myself technical and I run a Linux webserver at my house but many of the reviews complained about the level of dificulty to set it up. I knew several days of me swearing at before I got the system sorted out would not go very far to sell my wife on how this was a good idea.

Origenally I was leaning toward Beyond just because I got sucked in by the flash, but I subscribed to both Beyond TV, and these boards. I actually lurked the boards for a few months and I have to say the comunity here is way better and was the deciding factor for me choosing this product. (Sage should be proud of you guys )

After gathering my hardware installation was a breeze. I had a few questions on fine tuning and I was able to find it inn their documentation or a quick search here. Three weeks later I am still happy and have yet to actually have a question that hasn't already been answered and easy to find.

Thank you to all the great posters here for your patience with us n00bs
Old 09-07-2006, 12:29 PM
Sage Fanatic

Welcome to the Sage family, sinodux!

Remember, we were ALL noobs once! I think you will grow to LOVE Sage as most of us have. It's one addiction I'm not willing to do a '12-step' to get rid of.

-PGPfan
Sage Server: Gigabyte 690AMD m-ATX, Athlon II X4 620 Propus, 3.0 GB ram, (1) VistaView dual analog PCI-e tuner, (2) Avermedia Purity 3D MCE 250's, (1) HD-Homerun, 1.5 TB of hard drives in a Windows Home Server drive pool, Western Digital 300GB 'scratch' disk outside the pool, Gigabit LAN
Sage Clients: MSI DIVA m-ATX, 5.1 channel 100w/channel amplifier card, 2 GB ram, , (1) Hauppauge MVP, (1) SageTV HD-100 Media Storage: unRAID 3.6TB server
Old 09-07-2006, 06:58 PM
Sage Aficionado

Welcome, sinodux!

I've been using SageTV since Version 2.0 was in beta and love it. I'm sure you will continue to feel the same as I do!
Server: AMD Phenom Quad-Core 2.3Ghz, 4GB RAM, ECS A780GM-A MB, 2x HD-PVRs (connected to DirecTV HD STBs using ethernet channel changing), 1x AverMedia A180, OS RAID-1 mirror - 2x250GB 7200rpm SATA, Media RAID-1 mirror - 2x1TB 7200rpm SATA, USB-UIRT (remote control)
Main Client: Sage STX-HD100 Media extender
Second Client: Athlon XP 4000+, 2GB MB PC3200 DDR, Asus A8N5X MB, 512MB PCI-E ATI HD Radeon 3650, 160 GB SATA - hardware mirrored
Old 09-08-2006, 09:16 AM
SageTVaholic

Hehehehe. He isn't sucked in enough yet. Only one box? What? No extenders? Hehehehe. Welcome to your new obsession. hehehehe.
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 09-08-2006, 11:11 AM
Sage Icon

HTPC Perfection....."IMPOSSIBLE!"

P
Old 09-10-2006, 01:14 PM
Sage User

Sinodux,
Your story almost completely parallels mine. My path was slightly different then yours.

I went first MythTV like the foolish mortal that I am. Then I went o GBPVR. I even had it working some what. However, it didn't (at the time) have the polish of a commercial product.

My next step was to post a BeyondTV vs. SageTV question on BYOPVR.com and the rest is history. I can't quite remember what responses from that particular thread lead me here, but I certainly have no regrets. That was around the time when the version was mid to late 2.x

Another difference is that my initial impressions of the community were a bit concerning. Mostly because I had stumbled across a fairly angry thread screaming about wanting more information about the upcoming beta. it was some beta prior to the jump to 5.x

But after that episode was over, I cam to realize that it in fact is a great community. Very helpful and innovative.
Machine:Dell Dimension 9200;Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor E6320 (4MB L2 cache,1.86GHz,1066FSB); RAM: 2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz- 2DIMMs; Graphics Card: 128MB nVidia GeForce 8300 GS; Tuner: Hauppauge WinTV-PVR 500 MCE
Storage: OS/Apps: 160GB (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache ; Recordings: Seagate 300GB 7200 RPM SATA; Signal: Comcast Digital Cable with HD Converter;
Old 09-11-2006, 11:52 AM
Sage Expert

I was a TiVo user since 1999. Had multiple tivos throughout the house.

But I'm in the process of building a new house and wanted video distribution throughout. I got sick of only being able to watch my recordings in the room they were recorded on.

I looked at Myth but seems more complicated than I'm willing to deal with.
I really liked BeyondTV, and the BeyondMedia product. Almost went that direction.

What sold me on SageTV, though, was the media extenders. A very nice simple product that works well (provided you're not using wireless) and is completely silent. Much better solution than client PCs throughout the house. The media extenders are quiet, cool, fanless & diskless.
I'm just waiting on HD extenders.

Not sure what I'll do when the house is complete. I will probably use the cable co HD DVR in the media room until an HD extender is made available. I might be forced to build a client PC but haven't really decided yet.

I'm putting ethernet connections to all rooms, but running cable to the media room 'just in case'.

BTW - no regrets on Sage vs. BeyondTV. I think both products are very good. Beyond is a bit more expensive if you want to distribute your media as well. But the BeyondMedia interface is probably a bit better than Sage's media options.

But the extender is absolutely what won me over.

And I sure don't miss TiVo a bit.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:11 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbeers
Hehehehe. He isn't sucked in enough yet. Only one box? What? No extenders? Hehehehe. Welcome to your new obsession. hehehehe.
No kidding..

1 PC in service mode, runs client FE too
1 PC as client
3 MVPs
1 PS license

Still on the list:

1 server class box to be tucked away in basement
1 rack mountable cage (I hear FIOS equipment is quite large)
1 Large UPS
2 PS licenses
Oh yeah, convince the wife that I "need" all of this.

Anyone need a weekend gardner?
Old 09-17-2006, 10:33 PM
Sage User

Media Extener is everything for me.

Sage supports the Media MVP better than everyone, it works slick.

After screwing aound with trying to get a decent picture out of my video card and into my TV, I fanally gave up a broken man. The Media MVP was the answer. Great Picture Quality, is silent, small, and cheap. Definitely got to go with the wired version though.

I have two Media MVPs. I rarely do anything TV related on the PC itself. I do everything through the extenders. It's awesome.

Sage's support of the Media MVP is what made them the winner.

I bought Beyond TV first. Then as part of my struggle to get a decent pciture quality I bought a Media MVP. Wow! Great picture. Now I wanted to do everything through the MVP, but Snapstream defiantly will not support the Media MVP. Sure, you can use Hauppage's software that comes with the Media MVP to view shows you've recorded with Beyond TV, but it really only works for shows that are finished recording. Playing files in the process of being recorded get screwed up when you try to jump forward because the software gets a snapshot of the file size when you start viewing a file, but it doesn't get adjusted as the recording grows. Moving through your file becomes quirky as heck.

I do like the Beyond TV interface better, the software makes better assumptions and is just more intuitive.

I'm seriously considering a third Media MVP.