SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV EPG Service
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV EPG Service Discussion related to the SageTV EPG Service used within SageTV. Questions about service area coverage, channel lineups, EPG listings, XMLTV, or anything else related to the service or programming guide data for SageTV should be posted here.

Old 09-12-2006, 10:20 AM
SageTVaholic

EPG update listings and trial software

I have a trial ending in three days (for which I will then subscribe). At the moment, the EPG listings do not go past tonight.

Can I force an update, or is the EPG limited by the trial date boundries?

thanks
Old 09-12-2006, 10:32 AM
Administrator

I was about to say that I didn't think trial status affected the EPG & you shouldn't be having the data stop tonight at all... but then I noticed you've been on the forum talking about using SageTV for a long time, including usage questions over a year ago and for about the last 2 months. How are you still in trial mode after all this time? Who knows, maybe all that time does affect the EPG.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 09-12-2006, 12:31 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
I was about to say that I didn't think trial status affected the EPG & you shouldn't be having the data stop tonight at all... but then I noticed you've been on the forum talking about using SageTV for a long time, including usage questions over a year ago and for about the last 2 months. How are you still in trial mode after all this time? Who knows, maybe all that time does affect the EPG.

- Andy
I had the same issue. had a trial, 15 days was too short, so I ended up reinstalling (the whole OS!) again to get another 15 days to set stuff up. EPG wouldnt update. After enabling debug logging, it appeared that any EPG download requests after expiry are refused by the sage servers. I suppose this is some sort of security precaution by the sage guys or perhaps some measure to reduce piracy. It would be best if they could just give us a 30 day trial like almost every other software company does ... I dont think they really would have anything to lose by doing so, and judging by the posts about trial expiry ... they might gain a customer or two. Just my two cents.
Old 09-12-2006, 12:38 PM
Sage Icon

One problem with a 30 day trial, is that it starts to get to the point where doing a reinstall once a month starts looking acceptable, expecially with drive imaging.
Old 09-12-2006, 01:02 PM
SageTVaholic

thanks....that seems to make sense. I also have a zap2it account from my experiments with GBPVR. So maybe I will use it until the credit card gets used. This is my fourth trial in just over a year (took a year break to use MCE and am now finally fed up with it). If it wasn't for the help of well meaning posters and users, most of us would probably go with another product. Do employees of Sage actually help out in these forums, or is all the help from self-inflicted de-buggers like us?

The listings should at least run until the end of the trial, otherwise, it's reallly a 12 day trial...isn't it?

Old 09-12-2006, 01:12 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2
Do employees of Sage actually help out in these forums, or is all the help from self-inflicted de-buggers like us?
As my sig lines say, this is a user to user forum. People from SageTV do not monitor it for tech support, suggestions, etc., but might post from time to time. I do work for SageTV, but I make no pretense at trying to do support; I just like participating on the fourm.

Quote:
The listings should at least run until the end of the trial, otherwise, it's reallly a 12 day trial...isn't it?
The EPG data does go all the way through the trial period. You've gotten around portions of the trial limitations by doing multiple trials, so there seems to be some consequences for doing that. The EPG data costs money to provide, so it makes sense that they might want to limit it when trials are restarted multiple times.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 09-12-2006, 01:21 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I have a trial ending in three days (for which I will then subscribe). At the moment, the EPG listings do not go past tonight.

thanks
If you like the product, then why wait until the trial ends to subscribe? Purchase it now, so that if you have any problems getting the license key, (false spam issues), you would have some time to get it worked out before Sage timed out.
Old 09-12-2006, 01:29 PM
SageTVaholic

Actually, I don't believe I have "gotten around" anything. I downloaded different versions of the trials, all of which seemed to work just fine, independently, for their limited run time. Your help (and others) has kept me coming back to try the latest versions. The advent of Placeshifter has finally made me a believer, regardless of all the other headaches and problems within any software environment. As far as fee charges, the EPG data cost me absolutely nothing when I used it with GBPVR, and I have an active account that still supplies the data to use where I wish. I guess in Sage's case, they have fees I do not. But when a company supplies free downloads, I can't imagine how that should have any "consequences". I hope this does not reflect on SageTv and their future direction, which to this point has showed signs of slowly emerging as a bright spot in a murky selection of software.

thanks
Old 09-12-2006, 01:29 PM
Sage Aficionado

It seems reasonable that the EPG would only extend as long as the trial period. Yes, toward the end of the trial period, you are prevented from seeing what is scheduled to record in the future, but since the trial only lasts 15 days, then you can realistically only record for 15 days, so what is displayed after the trial period is moot.

My trial is also up in several days, but I purchased it. So far, it's the best $79.99 spent...

HTPC: AMD ASUS M2N-E Socket AM2 Motherboard; Athlon 64 3200+ Orleans 2.0GHz; 2GB RAM; eVGA 256MB Geforce 7300LE; 1x40GB IDE HDD (OS), 2xSeagate Barracuda 320GB SATA HDD (Recordings); Antec Overture II Case; Windows XP Pro SP2; SageTV v6.5
STV: SageMC
Video sources: Currently, none. I'm using SageTV for Music, Photos, and Video playback.
Old 09-12-2006, 01:32 PM
Sage Aficionado

The EPG costs SageTV money, not its users, so continuing to use a service past its intended duration is costing the company money, and they havge the right to limit extended use to paying customers.

HTPC: AMD ASUS M2N-E Socket AM2 Motherboard; Athlon 64 3200+ Orleans 2.0GHz; 2GB RAM; eVGA 256MB Geforce 7300LE; 1x40GB IDE HDD (OS), 2xSeagate Barracuda 320GB SATA HDD (Recordings); Antec Overture II Case; Windows XP Pro SP2; SageTV v6.5
STV: SageMC
Video sources: Currently, none. I'm using SageTV for Music, Photos, and Video playback.
Old 09-12-2006, 01:48 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Actually, I don't believe I have "gotten around" anything. I downloaded different versions of the trials, all of which seemed to work just fine, independently, for their limited run time.
Since the trial periods do get reset for new versions, you should let SageTV know that a trial with a new version doesn't have EPG data. I'm not even sure whether your data is getting cut off due to previous trials. Sometimes, people have run into EPG issues because of connection issues, or when the lineup completely changes. For a complete lineup change, you can try reconfiguring your source with a different lineup, then go back later to reconfigure it for the proper source. (This shouldn't need to be done usually, but sometimes, the whole provider name & all changes.)

Quote:
As far as fee charges, the EPG data cost me absolutely nothing when I used it with GBPVR, and I have an active account that still supplies the data to use where I wish. I guess in Sage's case, they have fees I do not.
I meant that SageTV has to pay for all that EPG data they provide.

- Andy
Old 09-12-2006, 02:10 PM
SageTVaholic

Thanks, all of these are good points. The reason I am here in the first place is because I already bought one piece of software (MCE) that is shortly going to be moot. After Vista gets released, it may be moot to the world.
I am trying to avoid purchasing "soon-to-be-dead" alternatives.
I really wanted a Replay unit, but backed off when all the lawsuits started. Where are they now? And the possibility of an Apple-Tivo union leaves many question marks as well.

Here's to a long and healthy Sage lifespan.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:34 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj
One problem with a 30 day trial, is that it starts to get to the point where doing a reinstall once a month starts looking acceptable, expecially with drive imaging.
I dont know about that ... still takes time to write the image and then install and config sagetv. Also, when using placeshifter, you get the contant "Trial" overlay on all video. Doubt many would want to see that 24/7.