SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 09-14-2006, 02:16 PM
Sage Fanatic

Arrow STV Import: Hide Shows exceeding parental controls

The HideShows import adds three features that work together to enhance the usefulness of the parental controls.
1. Temporarily disable parental controls
2. Hide shows exceeding parental ratings limit in the malore style SageTV Recordings
3. Ability to set/change the parental ratings for shows

If you are like me and get tired of entering in the parental control password every time you switch shows, this feature is for you. On the main menu, pressing the pause button will prompt for the parental control password. If answered correctly parental controls will be temporarily turned off. It will automatically be re-enabled when viewing the main menu after five minutes if no show is currently being watched. It can also be manually re-enable by pressing the pause button while viewing the main menu. An unlocked padlock icon should display in the upper right corner to indicate when parental controls have been disabled. While parental controls are enabled any show that has a rating exceeding the ratings set by the parental controls will not be listed in the malore style SageTV Recordings. For added safety, shows without a parental rating are also hidden. While parental controls are disabled, the options menu for the malore style SageTV recordings will have the option to "Rate all episodes" for the current group of shows or to "rate episode" for a single show. These options allow you to select the Parental Rating you would like the show(s) to have.

Requirements: I've tested this import on V5.04 of SageTV. The ability to change shows ratings requires a fairly recent version of SageTV. The ability to temporarily disable parental controls will work with most .stvs, but the padlock my not be displayed if significant changes have been made to the default .stv's interface. The show hiding and rating changing features require the use of the malore style SageTV Recordings, however people are free to incorporate my code and/or ideas.

Installation:
1. Save and unzip the attached file in the SageTV\STVs\SageTV3 folder.
2. Backup you wiz.bin and Sage.properties files.
3. Install the import from the Setup->Detailed Setup->Import SageTV Application Package.
4. Enjoy
Attached Files
File Type: zip HideShows-import.zip (6.0 KB, 665 views)

Last edited by malore; 09-14-2006 at 02:20 PM.
Old 09-15-2006, 09:07 AM
Sage Fanatic

Right now it just hides recorded shows, but it probably would be possible to modify the guide to not show the names of shows exceeding the rating limits.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:26 PM
Sage Fanatic

This will be a great addition to my setup. I especially like the ability to change the show rating on the fly.

Great job!
Old 09-15-2006, 12:36 PM
Sage Advanced User

Well done !

Great contribution (among many other you have made ...)

Thanks !
Old 09-16-2006, 05:09 PM
Sage Fanatic

Glad you guys like it.
Old 09-18-2006, 02:24 PM
Sage Fanatic

I had some trouble getting this to work.

I have a lot of recordings and I have pretty much all of the bottom left half of the parental controls enabled as well as TVM, NR, AO, and R.

When I loaded the plugin I got the spinning Sage icon, Sage was extremely slow, and I noticed that all of my recordings were gone. I waited for about 15 minutes but I finally had to kill sage, change my STV to the original SageTV3.xml, restart and re-import everything but this import.

I would really like to get this working, do you have any suggestions as to how to get it up and running without the problems I had?

I thought about trying just R ratings, then adding other ratings one at a time until everything was hidden that I wanted to hide. Would that make a difference?
Old 09-18-2006, 03:42 PM
Sage Fanatic

Sorry to hear that, but if you are using a current version of SageTV, it should make a new stv file each time you import something (SageTV3-1.xml, SageTV3-2.xml, SageTV3-3.xml, etc.) So you should always be able to revert to the previous version by loading the one less than the highest.

You could try loading the original SageTV3.xml and use the import on that and see if it works. If it does you could then try either adding the other imports to it or try using the import on your customize stv again. If you still have problems, attach a zipped copy of the problem .stv file, and I'll look to see if I can spot a problem.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:44 PM
Sage Aficionado

Just for everyone's info: This import does not appear to work with version 6.5 of Sage. Just tried it. It looks like Sage sees something amiss and aborts the import or something because I don't see any additional options and each time I exit and restart the SageUI, it wants to do an automatic re-compile.. (Apparently, this is a recent change that I was unaware of)

That said, anyone think they can update it to work with 6.5?
Old 04-03-2009, 01:17 PM
Sage Aficionado

I would second that. I just starting using the parental controls (My kids are old enough to really use Sage now) and never knew this existed. It would alleviate all my gripes about parental controls. They are sometimes almost too effective.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:26 PM
Sage User

I can't believe I just found this import and it's not working
Old 07-09-2009, 05:47 AM
Sage User

I'm in the same boat! Please resurrect this!