SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 09-15-2006, 02:38 PM
Sage Advanced User

Dish Network

I'm thinking of going Dish and currently have cable with a single box and one analog connection. I have a USB-UIRT and did not have to do much to get it to work. Can I simply buy two dish receivers and use the multizone notes for Zone 1 and 2 to get channels to change correctly? Do I need girder or any special files to make this work?

Thanks,

Will Butler
Old 09-15-2006, 03:34 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by deliverer
I'm thinking of going Dish and currently have cable with a single box and one analog connection. I have a USB-UIRT and did not have to do much to get it to work. Can I simply buy two dish receivers and use the multizone notes for Zone 1 and 2 to get channels to change correctly? Do I need girder or any special files to make this work?

Thanks,

Will Butler
Yep......Yep...and Nope...

:-)

Seriously, it just the same as with cable... you may need a dual emitter though for sending your channel changes...

Also... When you get your 'installer', go slow with him...

You will probably get the 322's, so you will have to set the correct tuner of each box since the UIRT cannot accept RF signals (The 322 uses IR/RF commands... one for each tuner...)

-Jason
Old 09-15-2006, 08:26 PM
Sage Advanced User

I was under the impression this would not work with 322's. I thought I had to get two 311's. It costs an extra $5/month so I would prefer the 322 if it indeed works with USB UIRT. Also, the USB UIRT I have does not have the 56K sensor. Am I going ot have issues?

Thanks,

Deliverer
Old 09-15-2006, 08:59 PM
Sage Fanatic

Here's the deal: The 322 is a 'dual tuner' reciever, at least in the eyes of Dish Network. It does have 2 tuners, HOWEVER only one of those 2 tuners can be controlled via the USB-UIRT. The other (or 2nd) tuner built in to the 322 can ONLY be controlled via RF, and so far nobody has made a 'programmable' remote that can work with it, let alone one that Sage could control.

This is the limitation of the 322's. If possible, try to stress that the 'design' limitation of this screwy scheme of theirs is not your fault and therefore they should wave any additional cost to you if they want you as a customer.

-PGPfan
Sage Server: Gigabyte 690AMD m-ATX, Athlon II X4 620 Propus, 3.0 GB ram, (1) VistaView dual analog PCI-e tuner, (2) Avermedia Purity 3D MCE 250's, (1) HD-Homerun, 1.5 TB of hard drives in a Windows Home Server drive pool, Western Digital 300GB 'scratch' disk outside the pool, Gigabit LAN
Sage Clients: MSI DIVA m-ATX, 5.1 channel 100w/channel amplifier card, 2 GB ram, , (1) Hauppauge MVP, (1) SageTV HD-100 Media Storage: unRAID 3.6TB server
Old 09-16-2006, 05:18 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGPfan
If possible, try to stress that the 'design' limitation of this screwy scheme of theirs is not your fault and therefore they should wave any additional cost to you if they want you as a customer.
That didn't work for me
Source(1): DirecTV H21, HD-PVR (E1) driver 1.5.7
Source(2): HDHomeRun, Winegard GS-2200
Old 09-16-2006, 08:11 AM
Sage Fanatic

If that didn't work for you (It's just a recommendation on my part as I have DirecTV currently, never tried it with Dish) are you still a subscriber with them?

Many people make 'idle threats' like this and the companies get used to it. They know that almost everyone will cave in, saying something like "It was worth a try". These companies are ONLY motivated by money, and there usually IS some power when you take it away from them. If you do make good on such a threat, and immediately tell them "well, since YOUR product can't meet MY needs then cancel my service please", they usually will scramble to look for ways to keep you as a customer. At least that's how DirecTV works. They have an entire department dedicated to these 'customer negotiations' called their "Customer Retention Department".

-PGPfan
Sage Server: Gigabyte 690AMD m-ATX, Athlon II X4 620 Propus, 3.0 GB ram, (1) VistaView dual analog PCI-e tuner, (2) Avermedia Purity 3D MCE 250's, (1) HD-Homerun, 1.5 TB of hard drives in a Windows Home Server drive pool, Western Digital 300GB 'scratch' disk outside the pool, Gigabit LAN
Sage Clients: MSI DIVA m-ATX, 5.1 channel 100w/channel amplifier card, 2 GB ram, , (1) Hauppauge MVP, (1) SageTV HD-100 Media Storage: unRAID 3.6TB server
Old 09-16-2006, 09:06 AM
Sage Advanced User

Guys not to change the subject again, but regarding the USB-UIRT. Do I need to use the 3 zone configuration or can I simply pick different codes for each receiver and just use the main IR interface from the UIRT? This is sort of mentioned in the forums, but I have not found the exact configs.

Regards,

Deliverer
Old 09-16-2006, 09:24 AM
Sage Advanced User

Also I just signed up. They said the second receiver will be waived with a phone line connection.
Old 09-16-2006, 06:30 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
I was under the impression this would not work with 322's. I thought I had to get two 311's. It costs an extra $5/month so I would prefer the 322 if it indeed works with USB UIRT. Also, the USB UIRT I have does not have the 56K sensor. Am I going ot have issues?

Thanks,

Deliverer
It does work with the UIRT... at least the IR tuner...

I have 2 322's... Both are stack next to my Sage Server... I use the IR tuner in each 322 for Sage (2 tuners...) and the other two RF tuners are used for my bedroom and the kids room upstairs...

-Jason
Old 09-16-2006, 06:32 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Guys not to change the subject again, but regarding the USB-UIRT. Do I need to use the 3 zone configuration or can I simply pick different codes for each receiver and just use the main IR interface from the UIRT? This is sort of mentioned in the forums, but I have not found the exact configs.

Regards,

Deliverer
You don't need to set up zones... Each IR tuner can be setup (in the Dish Tuner COnfiguration screen...) to utilize seperate codes... You may/will need to purchase a dual emitter though... one for each IR tuner...

-Jason
Old 09-16-2006, 06:57 PM

Jason your using 2 "322" Receivers or 4 tuner setup in your case that work just fine but where deliverer may only want 2 tuner setup there for he wouldn't want a 322 or any other dual tuner dish receiver.
deliverer it may supize you but with Dish receiver unlike other receiver it can be configuration in one of two way, USB-UIRT zone mode or with out zone by changing the remote address on dish receiver.

Example
Manual power up and setup the 1st Dishnetwork Receiver on remote address 1 and have USB-UIRT lean the remote codes for remote address 1 when done power it down.
Manual Power up and setup the 2nd Dishnetwork Receiver on remote address 2 and have USB-UIRT lean the remote codes for remote address 2.
do the same with 3rd or so on.
The USB-UIRT can sent diff remote codes for each Dishnetwork Receiver of each PVR card over the same line that for you can do for more Dish IR code with mono Y splitter and pair of dual stick-on IR Emitters from www.smarthome.com or build your own splitter box.

Last edited by SHS; 09-16-2006 at 07:35 PM.
Old 09-17-2006, 05:04 PM
Sage Advanced User

Exactly what I was trying to find out. So to be clear. I setup the address 1 and 2 for each receiver, but will still need dual emitters? Can I use the base emitter, get a y-cable, and only use one of the two plug-ins for the second receiver? Or can the base emitter control both if the boxes are stacked on top of each other? I think that is what you meant when you stated over the same line?

Thanks,

Deliverer
Old 09-17-2006, 07:34 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Exactly what I was trying to find out. So to be clear. I setup the address 1 and 2 for each receiver, but will still need dual emitters? Can I use the base emitter, get a y-cable, and only use one of the two plug-ins for the second receiver? Or can the base emitter control both if the boxes are stacked on top of each other? I think that is what you meant when you stated over the same line?

Thanks,

Deliverer
I am controling 4 receivers (one 211 and three 311s)with the standard USB UIRT emitter. The 4 receivers are stacked right on top of each other and the USBUIRT is on the right side of the cabinet aimed toward them.

A Picture is worth 1000 words...

Last edited by briands; 09-17-2006 at 09:06 PM.
Old 09-17-2006, 08:02 PM
Sage Advanced User

Exactly what I needed to know. Thanks and I hope it helps others.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:26 AM
Sage Advanced User

When I goto configure the receiver and usb-uirt, it says to point the remote control at the tranceiver and hold down button 0 until the messages disappears. It never goes away. Any ideas?
Old 09-19-2006, 02:37 PM
Sage Icon

You have to hold the remote no more than an inch away from the usb-uirt when configuring it.

Scott
Old 09-19-2006, 02:47 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
When I goto configure the receiver and usb-uirt, it says to point the remote control at the tranceiver and hold down button 0 until the messages disappears. It never goes away. Any ideas?
Yes... that functionality in source setup ... SUCKS... I had the same problem. Just get through it (with errors) and then you'll have two options. Get working files from someone else or go into the source details screen, select the input in question and then and use the test/ relearn function to relearn the ones that are broken (see manual pp155-159). I don't know why, but the learning there was much better for me.

BTW, I can send you the files for codes 1 though 4. PM with your email address. You'll just need to update to match your source names.