SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 09-16-2006, 10:49 PM
Sage Expert

YAST (Yet Another Stutter Thread)

I've put in a tech support request on this, but I thought I'd ask all of you also.

I have a stutter problem that only occurs starting at about the two hour mark of HD recordings, and only exists while the program is still recording. I think it only exists while I'm watching the same recording, but I'm not 100% certain because the stutter is so minor it's only apparent during sports.

But anyway, what I've noticed is that my CPU usage increases by about 20% from the start of a recording to the point of the two hour mark. And if I break the file into two files, by changing channels and resuming recording, I can watch either portion without stutter, while the newest portion is still recording.

So, based on that I think it's primarily an XP issue with the disc system, and that changing anything pertaining to video is unlikely to work (other than perhaps some day getting FSE to work on my system).

So, what ways do you people see to reduce the strain writing large files has on the system? I've already updated the drivers, and switched form PATA to SATA drives without any impact on the problem. Ideally it would be nice if Sage would limit the file size, for that would be a simple solution, but absent that, what can I do?
Old 09-18-2006, 08:12 AM
Sage Expert

I figured out a work around. Stop and restart Sage service. That breaks the file up without my possibly seeing a later part of the game.

And since it's only an issue when I'm watching live, it's not too bad of a solution (although something automatic would be better).
Old 09-18-2006, 09:21 AM
SageTVaholic

What version of java are you using?
Old 09-19-2006, 08:53 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade
What version of java are you using?
Whatever Sage installs. Once I tried installing a later version and it screwed everything up (with Sage) so I've not tried that again.