SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 10-16-2003, 02:51 AM
SageTVaholic

Question XMLTV missing channels

I am in Belgium, so cannot use SageTV service...

My cableTV gives me about 55 channels, but I can only get program info for about 20 of them using XMLTV...

The problem is that Sage does not present me with the opportunity of tuning to the other 35 channels -- I can only see the 20 from the XMLTV import.

Is there a way of adding 'extra' channels to the presented lineup, or will I have to edit the XMLTV file to manually add the channel ID's, and do I only need to do this once, or will I have to do this for each XMLTV file generated.
Old 10-16-2003, 05:03 PM
Sage Aficionado

You will have to edit the <channel> section of the xmltv xml file in order to get those channels. You may also have to add dummy programs that air on those channels as well.

The other 35 channels, does zap2it not have info for them at all, or are they just not in your zip/postal code?
Old 10-16-2003, 10:44 PM
Sage Expert

I too am missing a couple of channels, but it has nothing to do with SageTV, it's the XMLTV data, which can be a little flaky at times.

Watch when you grab the XMLTV data. It will say something like "Skipping Unavailable Channel XX" for the channels you don't get.
Old 10-17-2003, 07:35 AM
SageTVaholic

Mikbro: Zap2it does not have any info at all for me, I am in Belgium -- I have to grab it from a belgian listings webpage...

I have manually put dummy channels in the <channel> section then forced an update, then went through the setup wizard again, and now I have all my channels selectable...

I hope that they will stay there past the next update, which is why I was looking for a properties-file workaround...
Old 10-27-2003, 09:23 PM
Sage Expert

Nielm:

I'll be moving to Belgium in a couple months, and I'm wondering if SageTV is a realistic option for me. Can you tell me what your experience has been? Have you been able to set up XMLTV so that it works satisfactorily?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 10-28-2003, 05:40 PM
SageTVaholic

> Can you tell me what your experience has been?

Not great... the XMLTV default install does not have support for belgium, but there is a python script to grab data from a web site... The script on the XMLTV site is very buggy though, and I have had to edit it a lot to get it to work... It is still not perfect -- the summer-time/winter-time adjustment is hard coded, and detailed program info is not grabbed, but I plan to improve it.

There were also other hurdles -- like having to set the country code in the sage properties file, otherwise the tuner would not work at all (it was using UK frequencies!)...

However, these are all setup-issues.
Now that it is running, my only problem now is the anarchy of the TV channels in respect to air times... I always have to pad my recordings with at least -5m; +10 min to make sure I get the program.. Once channel runs a 'pick which film you want' telepoll, so the schedule will only be decided at air-time!
No EPG -- XMLTV or not -- can cope with this!