SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 09-22-2006, 06:45 AM
Sage User

Send a message via AIM to aclarke Send a message via MSN to aclarke Send a message via Yahoo to aclarke
SageTV completely non-responsive

Hi. As of last night, my sageTV installation takes 5-10 minutes to process any remote click, if it processes it at all. It's been flaky and unreliable, and I've had to redo the video source several times as when I go to watch live TV I just would get a black screen, or it wouldn't sync what I'm watching up with the guide, or a number of other problems. It's also crashed several times and had to be hard rebooted.

This XP Pro installation is only a few weeks old, and I have a 250GB hard drive formatted with NTFS (normal block size). I've been using smart recording and using the highest bitrate available (5.2GB/hr). I was using Diskeeper Pro to defragment my hard drive since I thought some of my old problems could be attributed to disk fragmentation. For the last few days, Diskeeper had my CPU (AMD 1400) pegged at 100%. My CPU temperature got up to 62 degrees, but max spec is 95 so I didn't think too much about it.

I went to plug my USB-UIRT into a USB hub last night and ended up rebooting the computer after I did that. After rebooting was when all my troubles started.

Before I redo XP AGAIN, does someone have ideas as to what might be going wrong with this?

Oh yeah, I have a couple linux servers downtairs and I wanted to use the 300GB drive in one of those as recording space. Unfortunately though, it seemed like reading/writing to those drives was too slow! I'd get j e r k y sound and picture, so I gave up on that. That's why I didn't format my drive with a larger block size; I didn't intend originally on using it as my main recording spot.

Thank you very much,
- Andrew.
Old 09-22-2006, 07:06 AM
Sage Advanced User

The drive at which you store your sageTV recordings needs to be formated with 64K block size. So, with a single drive you will need to partition off space for your SageTV video files.

I would remove that USB hub and plug directly into a USB port on the computer.

-Polen
Old 09-22-2006, 08:02 AM
Sage User

Send a message via AIM to aclarke Send a message via MSN to aclarke Send a message via Yahoo to aclarke
Quote:
Originally Posted by polen
The drive at which you store your sageTV recordings needs to be formated with 64K block size. So, with a single drive you will need to partition off space for your SageTV video files.

I would remove that USB hub and plug directly into a USB port on the computer.

-Polen
OK I guess it's another reformat for me. Thanks.

I am using the USB hub because my USB-UIRT only has a range of 1-2 metres when plugged directly into the computer. The developer of the USB-UIRT suggested that it may be due to underpowered USB on my motherboard, and said that using a powered hub might solve the problem. Well, it brought my range up to ~3 metres...

Oh well,
- Andrew.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:23 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclarke
I am using the USB hub because my USB-UIRT only has a range of 1-2 metres when plugged directly into the computer. The developer of the USB-UIRT suggested that it may be due to underpowered USB on my motherboard, and said that using a powered hub might solve the problem. Well, it brought my range up to ~3 metres...

Oh well,
- Andrew.
I use a USB-UIRT and a MCE remote and it works great from well over 30 feet away. Either your remote is weak, something is wrong with the USB-UIRT, or you have interference for the range to be so short.

As for the other problems, what version of java are you running? Make sure you are running java v1.4.2_12 or earlier. I'd definetly go with 64k recording drives and personally I never defrag mine.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:30 AM
Sage User

Java 1.5.0_06-b05 . I use this computer as my Windows server too and run a lot of other Java stuff, so I'll figure out how to run SageTV under a different jvm. After I reinstall Windows and make a separate partition for SageTV.

Also, the USB-UIRT problems have been ongoing for me. The guy who makes them suggested I try a powered hub, otherwise yeah it's probably a defective unit. I have a clear line of site to it and have tried 3 remotes with new batteries, all with the same problems. They all happen to work just fine with their respective components, so it's not the remotes that are having troubles.

Once I get the computer back up and running properly, I'll see if I'm still having trouble with the USB-UIRT with the powered hub.

Thanks again,
- Andrew.