SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 09-22-2006, 01:02 PM
Sage User

Server and Client Questions.

I am tring to work out the bugs in my system and had a few questions. Currently, I am running SageTV on (1) machine. I have it setup running in service mode, since my wife uses the computer for email and stuff. I like to have her log off and log on as her own user to keep things seperate and to keep her as a user instead of Admin. I do notice though that when watching TV everything works great, but from time to time at the end of a show or othertimes SageTV just locks up. End Task is the only solution. Other times it crashes like normal. These crashes are another reason why I like the service mode. At least our shows are still recording. So here are my questions:

I read somwhere that running both service and client on a single computer may be the reason why I am crashing. Is this true?

Is there a better way I can get the outcome above with more stability?

I realize that some of my crashes may be JAVA related and I will try another version, however all v1.4 have had horrible playback issues that only get revolved with v1.5. Anyone have any other suggestions for stability?
Old 09-22-2006, 01:48 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkil76
I read somwhere that running both service and client on a single computer may be the reason why I am crashing. Is this true?
Man, I certainly hope not! My understanding when I purchased SageTV is that it only requires one PC to work effectively--regardless of mode ("Service Mode" or "Single Mode") used.

HTPC: AMD ASUS M2N-E Socket AM2 Motherboard; Athlon 64 3200+ Orleans 2.0GHz; 2GB RAM; eVGA 256MB Geforce 7300LE; 1x40GB IDE HDD (OS), 2xSeagate Barracuda 320GB SATA HDD (Recordings); Antec Overture II Case; Windows XP Pro SP2; SageTV v6.5
STV: SageMC
Video sources: Currently, none. I'm using SageTV for Music, Photos, and Video playback.
Old 09-22-2006, 03:25 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkil76
I am tring to work out the bugs in my system and had a few questions. Currently, I am running SageTV on (1) machine. I have it setup running in service mode, since my wife uses the computer for email and stuff. I like to have her log off and log on as her own user to keep things seperate and to keep her as a user instead of Admin. I do notice though that when watching TV everything works great, but from time to time at the end of a show or othertimes SageTV just locks up. End Task is the only solution. Other times it crashes like normal. These crashes are another reason why I like the service mode. At least our shows are still recording. So here are my questions:

Is there a better way I can get the outcome above with more stability?

I realize that some of my crashes may be JAVA related and I will try another version, however all v1.4 have had horrible playback issues that only get revolved with v1.5. Anyone have any other suggestions for stability?
Running both service and client on a single computer should not cause any problems.

I would definitely check your java version. If you NEED at least 1.5, I could consider going with the 1.6 beta. I've been running quite stable with one of the newer snapshot builds. The leaking handle problem seems fine.

You didn't specify you system configuration so it's hard to tell what may be the culprit. Some general things:
--do not use JRE 1.5_06 (some people report success with _05
--set your recording directories up on a separate partition (formatted using a 64k block size) from the OS

There are so many other variables to do with your system's configuration, if you could post it maybe we could have more suggestions. (CPU, RAM, Motherboard chipset, video card, tuners, encoders, decoders)
Old 09-22-2006, 04:06 PM
Administrator

Running the UI client & the service on the same system is one of the intended uses, with the advantage that if something were to cause the UI portion to crash, the service should still keep going, thus being able to record your shows w/o interruption.

You may want to enable debug logging to see if it contains any info. Support might be able to see something in it.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.