SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 09-26-2006, 09:26 AM
Sage User

HD 5.1 Audio -- Waveout or DirectSound?

What is the best audio renderer to use when playing back High Definition 5.1 Dolby Digital audio via SPDIF?

1. Default Waveout device
2. Default Direct Sound Device
3. Direct Sound: SigmaTel

For many months now I have been using the "Default Waveout Device" along with the AC3 filter set to SPDIF output connected via a fiberoptic cable to my audio receiver and things have been working quite well with full 5.1 playback -- but on occasions I get stuttering.

I saw something on the internet that indicated that the Waveout Device has a lot of overhead and was created for legacy purposes to be compatible with older versions of Windows and whenever possible I should use the Direct Sound device to get smoother playback.

So... what is the correct renderer to use?

MJS
Old 09-26-2006, 10:14 AM
Sage Fanatic

The obvious and simpliest answer would be try it and find out what works best for you.

The Zoom Player docs match what you said. "There are two types of Audio Modes for each device "DirectSound" and "WaveOut". DirectSound is the latest technology and WaveOut is the older technology carried over from older versions of Windows. It is recommended to select the "Default DirectSound Device", however, some older cards may require using one of the WaveOut devices (Especially for S/PDIF output). "

Doom9's Audio FAQ has some information that might be relivent.
9. Why don’t I hear any sound or the sound is garbled during playback?

Typically this problem is due to the way your system or media player is configured. The quick fix might be to check if your media player is using “DirectSound” or “WaveOut”. Most systems use “DirectSound” by default and will work fine but if you experience problems then try using “WaveOut” instead. Some users have also reported they have to use the Default Direct Sound device selected for proper playback (ie. Default Direct Sound Audigy). To switch DirectSound/WaveOut output, use the WaveOut fix package available on the Doom9 download page.

10. Why does the sound sometimes stop in the middle of my movie and then come back on?

Drop outs of audio over SPDIF can be caused by a poor quality power supply or you may need to purchase a surge protector to regulate current. Also, audio drop outs can be caused by a poor quality optical or coax cable. Some users have reported poor PC power supplies to be the cause as well. "

Personally, I often have drop outs or stuttering after commercial breaks, which I can be repeated by rewinding, so I doubt my problem is cabling or power supply related.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:33 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by malore
Personally, I often have drop outs or stuttering after commercial breaks, which I can be repeated by rewinding, so I doubt my problem is cabling or power supply related.
I also have SPDIF issues when pausing, FF or RW an HD show. The audio will "stutter" like it is in a Millisecond loop when I pause. It only happens on HD and DVDs, not while playing back SD stuff. My SD is not 5.1 whereas the HD and DVDs are. Anyone have any ideas on that one?

CLIENT
AMD 64 3500, 512 MB Ram, XP Pro, ATI X300 Onboard Video, nVidia PureVideo Decoder, SPDIF Optical Out to Kenwood DTS