SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 09-27-2006, 12:19 PM

Is there a visio drawing of software to hardware somewhere?

Hey I'm starting to look into having a Sage server and then several clients but I'm not for sure what all to buy... there is MVP client, regular client, whole MVP +client combo, etc...

What I'm wanting is a diagram or an explanation of exactly what software I need to do one server with all the tuners installed and then several other PCs that can stream from that server, browse a tv guide, tell the server to record, etc... (and what their abilities would be or what they are capable of doing).

I haven't seen that clear cut on the sage for sale page and I think it would be a huge help to us uninitiated individuals. I'm excited about the software but I don't want to be buying things I don't need.

Any help would be great... thanks.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:37 PM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via AIM to acrowe Send a message via MSN to acrowe Send a message via Yahoo to acrowe
It's actually not as difficult as you're making it.

SageTV Media Center Version 5.0 - This is the server and a client "license" for the server so you can run the client on the server. It allow you to have as many tuners as you want.

Placeshifter - This is a remote client. It streams everything through/from the server.

Sage TV Client - This is a full client that can access the files directly from the server through mapped drives or UNC paths.

MVP/Media Extender - you need a Client license for these if they don't come bundled with it. The MVP's used to be an "add on" that wasn't directly supported and thus needed a client license. However now with the Media Extenders and MVP's you can just buy one of the Sage Media extenders, or a Client for the MVP if you got one of those but didn't get a client license.

Personally even with some of the problems they are having with them I prefer a single sage server and MVP's. Though the rumored OS X client may make me rethink that

Think of it this way. You need a server (SageTV Media Center Version 5.0) and a client license for each client you want to connect. If you buy an Media Extender those come with a client license. If you build out multiple PC's you may want a full client license or you may want a placeshifter license depending on what you're looking to do with the clients (travel offsite, etc)
Old 09-27-2006, 02:15 PM
Sage Advanced User

MVP and Placeshifter need a Media Extender license not a client license. These are licensed very differently.

Media Extender licenses are managed at the server side. Full clients manage their licenses themselves (though I do think they interact with the server).
Old 09-27-2006, 02:32 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrowe
Sage TV Client - This is a full client that can access the files directly from the server through mapped drives or UNC paths.
Not true, the regular client does not need mapped drives or unc paths to work.
Old 09-27-2006, 02:43 PM
SageTVaholic

SageTV Media Center Version 5.0
-You need this. If you're only going to use Sage on one computer this is all the software you'll need. If you want to run Sage on multiple computers you need this software on your Sage "server" and client licenses for the other computers.

SageTV Client Version 5.0
-It is installed on your PC clients on your home network. It has all the same functions as if you were sitting at the server.

SageTV Placeshifter Connection License
-This is similar to the client, but is designed to work across the internet instead of your home network. You can use it on a local network, but the regular client is better suited to the task.

SageTV Client License for MVP
-License is used with the media extender. I believe it is actually the same license as the placeshifter so the two are interchangable.

SageTV Recorder Version 1.5
-Old product no longer under development. Not needed at all.

The other offerings are combos of what I listed above. There is also linux versions available, but I wouldn't suggest those if you're not already familiar with linux and pvr in general.

Last edited by blade; 09-27-2006 at 02:48 PM.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:07 PM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via AIM to acrowe Send a message via MSN to acrowe Send a message via Yahoo to acrowe
Quote:
Originally Posted by blade
Not true, the regular client does not need mapped drives or unc paths to work.
Hmm... I thought if it had those it accessed the files directly instead of streaming through the server? Though since I don't have one I don't have direct experience here...

Ok I reread my post and decided I shouldn't post while in a hurry at work It was about illegible. Thanks for others providing much better info than I did
Old 09-27-2006, 03:22 PM
Administrator

If the client has direct access to the media files via mapped drives or UNC paths, it will read them itself; if it does not have direct file access, it will stream the media via the server. Either way, the client has full access to the files. (Oh - but, ripped DVDs and perhaps some other media formats require direct file access.) Hopefully, that will clear it up.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:27 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrowe
Hmm... I thought if it had those it accessed the files directly instead of streaming through the server? Though since I don't have one I don't have direct experience here...
Yep what opus said, it can work directly though it's not required.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:15 AM

Thanks for the help. It is clearer now than before
Old 09-28-2006, 07:11 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade
Yep what opus said, it can work directly though it's not required.
Cool, I've speant too much time catching up on too many threads I lost where I was with everything

Thanks for clearing it up for me Opus!