SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 09-29-2006, 01:15 PM
Sage Expert

Newbie questions; defecting from BeyondTV

Hello all,

Apologies for the content of this message; I'm sure that many of my questions have been already answered, but I was overwhelmed with the amount of information on these boards (active community is both a blessing and a curse...)

Anyway, as the header indicates, I'm defecting from BeyondTV. I chose to go with Sage because I loved the MVP support provided by SageTV (especially the out-of-the box Music options). Anyway, I'm trying to find my way around SageTV, and had a couple of basic questions.

1. My media server is used only for recording and serving files; I don't watch anything on that box. However, because of the client/server relationship between SageTV and the PlaceShifter/MVP, do I need a good video card in that system? I currently use the on-board video out to connect to the box if I need to logon (usually don't). If it matters, I have a Hauppauge PVR-150 as my tuner card.

2. Is there anything like ShowSqueeze to compress the video files?

3. How about automatic commercial skipping?

Thanks in advance!
Stu
Old 09-29-2006, 01:29 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sainswor99
Hello all,

1. My media server is used only for recording and serving files; I don't watch anything on that box. However, because of the client/server relationship between SageTV and the PlaceShifter/MVP, do I need a good video card in that system? I currently use the on-board video out to connect to the box if I need to logon (usually don't). If it matters, I have a Hauppauge PVR-150 as my tuner card.
If the server is only serving, and not being used as a client, then it doesn't need a powerful video card. However, it can be used as a client as well as a server, with 1 copy of SageTV, no client software needed on the server, but plan on having a good video card.

Quote:
2. Is there anything like ShowSqueeze to compress the video files?
Not currently from Sage. 1 rumor is that there maybe something in the upcoming 5.1 beta, but only a rumor. I also recall an customization by someone that added in a compression option, but it wasn't as seemless as the BTV way.

Quote:
3. How about automatic commercial skipping?
Not out of the box from Sage, but there are a couple different ways that it can be included into your system. Check out the Customizations section of the forum for more info. ONce set up it is fairly seemless.
Old 09-29-2006, 02:36 PM
Sage Aficionado

One of the beauties of sage is the custom plugins from this community. Anything from new UI, webservers to commercial skipping can be added fairly easily.

Special thanks to tmiranda for making my 24h time format dream a reality. See here for more details.
Old 09-29-2006, 03:10 PM
Sage Expert

Thanks for the quick replies; about customization (now that you've brought it up), if I change the UI, will those changes cascase to my Placeshifter/Media Extender?

Thanks!
Old 09-29-2006, 03:44 PM
Administrator

An STV defines the UI and all of what it can do. You can select whatever STV you want to use for each client, independently of each other.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 09-29-2006, 04:12 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sainswor99
Thanks for the quick replies; about customization (now that you've brought it up), if I change the UI, will those changes cascase to my Placeshifter/Media Extender?

Thanks!
Short answer, YES!

-PGPfan
Sage Server: Gigabyte 690AMD m-ATX, Athlon II X4 620 Propus, 3.0 GB ram, (1) VistaView dual analog PCI-e tuner, (2) Avermedia Purity 3D MCE 250's, (1) HD-Homerun, 1.5 TB of hard drives in a Windows Home Server drive pool, Western Digital 300GB 'scratch' disk outside the pool, Gigabit LAN
Sage Clients: MSI DIVA m-ATX, 5.1 channel 100w/channel amplifier card, 2 GB ram, , (1) Hauppauge MVP, (1) SageTV HD-100 Media Storage: unRAID 3.6TB server
Old 09-29-2006, 04:25 PM
Administrator

But it doesn't cascade in the sense that you select it in one client & it is also automatically changed in the others. You have to change the STV for each client or placeshifter user.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:49 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj
Not currently from Sage. 1 rumor is that there maybe something in the upcoming 5.1 beta, but only a rumor. I also recall an customization by someone that added in a compression option, but it wasn't as seemless as the BTV way.
Highlighted this from the 5.1 API and Narflex confirmed its in there.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:47 AM
Sage Advanced User

Is there some free software that will allow one to convert to .wmv, etc.