SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 10-03-2006, 11:26 AM
Sage User

Fixes for slow UI and playback timeline issues

Hello,

I had been having lots of problems with Sage. I read a lot of other posts and many helped me, so I thought I'd try to help others by sharing some fixes:

I have a Sage 5.04 server running on XP Home on a 6 year old Dell P3-1Ghz, 512MB memory, 2-200GB drives, Gigabit LAN, Hauppauge 500 encoder card, 2 MVPs hardwired and two clients. I was having problems where playback would freeze randomly, fast-forward to strange spots, play for a few minutes and then show you as being at the end of an hour long recording, etc. I was also getting general slowness on the UI, taking several seconds to execute commands. Here's all of what I did to make the system happier, hope this helps you:

1. Disabled any screensaver running on the server
2. Rolled back Java to the original 1.4 that ships with Sage
3. TURNED OFF Java auto update
4. Updated to the latest Hauppauge Driver for the 500MCE (Base driver version 20.43_24108)
the driver is listed as beta on the link below:
http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/suppo...vr150.html#drv
5. Did the registry change for the Hauppauge encoders described here:
Post number twelve in this http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...ine+corruption thread.
6. Run an automatic disk defragger: I currently use Diskkeeper
7. For the MVP speeds, I used the following registry hack described by others on this board:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters]
"TcpWindowSize"=dword:000f4240
"Tcp1323Opts"=dword:00000001
8. Turned off all menu transition stuff

Now I've just got to get the time to do a full system rebuild with a new processor and such...hummm
Hope this helps!
-ds
Old 10-05-2006, 10:18 AM
Sage Aficionado

Do you get alot of fragmentation using 64k clusters? Shouldn't really be the case, especially for video.

Special thanks to tmiranda for making my 24h time format dream a reality. See here for more details.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:44 PM
Sage User

Yes, I get a TON of fragmentation, they system gets REALLY stupid if I don't defrag. Also it helps if you don't do Comskip processing when your system is in use, seems to help with the fragments. I've set my Dirmon and comskip to only do stuff when I'm asleep or at work.

-ds
Old 10-05-2006, 01:13 PM
SageTVaholic

I still find it odd that some people have problems with fragmentation. I use 64k clusters and the last I checked my recording drives were 96-99% fragemented and I never have problems because of it.
Old 10-05-2006, 03:13 PM
SageTVaholic

3 years. It has been 3 years and I have never defragged my original video storage drives. They are formatted in 64k clusters. These are 2 x 160 GB SATA drives that I originally setup as RAID 0. (Of course I have another Media server on the network serving up 800 GB. Never defragmented either.)

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 10-05-2006, 03:39 PM
Sage Aficionado

I have 64k clusters and defrag about once a month...(or in other words, MS Defrag says "you should defrag your drive" approx. once a month).

I use showanalyzer and comskip. Seagate drive. Std. windows IDE drivers.

-Dan