SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 10-04-2006, 02:48 PM
SageTVaholic

Wireless Extender

Soooo, is anyone getting the wireless extender to work and if so how? I am thinking about picking one up (as I need a new extender) and I have seen a lot of people complaining that they don't work (the wireless part). I have two wired ones currently. I am wondering if a lot of it has to do with cheap wireless routers (which I have had in the past and got so tired of, that I went out and spent a lot on a new one it rocks). What I really want to hear from are the people that have them working the way they are supposed to (and not with wireless bridges) and not from those that do not have working ones (I know who you all are, and your points are well noted trust me).

Thank you!

P.S. When are we getting an HD extender? I was sooo hoping with 6.0.
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 10-05-2006, 07:47 AM
SageTVaholic

Hmmm, no responses yet. Not good. I am really curious what people are using for routers. I know my old Belkin F5D7230-4 would not have been upto the task. It could not handle video playback from a wired computer (to the router) to my wireless laptop and it couldn't handle large file transfer back and forth either. My Trendnet TEW-611BRP is sooo much better. I think the main reason is the automatic traffic prioritization that the Trendnet has. It really seems to do a good job of making sure files and videos take precedent over basic websurfing. The range has also increased. Before I could barely take my laptop out on my deck and now I can walk all the way out to the back of my detached garage.
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 10-06-2006, 07:41 AM
Sage User

Bump... Anyone at all??

Local Sage Machine: NVIDIA nForce 680I LT SLI Motherboard, Intel® Core™2 Quad processor with 8MB cache, 2 GB of PC5400 DDR2, 7.1 channel Integrated audio, gigabit LAN, GeForce 8500GT 512MB PCI-Express video. HDHR and PCI NVidea dual tuner.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:27 AM
Sage User

Wireless Version

I have two Wireless MVP's. Here is the deal. The problems with them seem to be pretty much router independant. The problem is that the WiFi card that is in the MVP is to put it nicely... not so good. (For example: I can have my router in the office and my DLink 520 get's 4 bars sitting on the TV. My laptop gets 4 to 5 bars sitting on the TV, the MVP is lucky to get 2 (Which is not enough, it really needs to be at least 3, and 4 is preferred.

Now that being said. If you play around a bit with your router and get it in the just right location, you can make it work.

I sense that something is going to happen soon to rectify the situation (I.E. a better wireless extender), but it is just a wait and see situation right now.

So, if you can get your router line of sight, or just on the other side of the wall, go for the MVP. Otherwise, you are in for some frustration.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:45 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by codacoda
I have two Wireless MVP's. Here is the deal. The problems with them seem to be pretty much router independant. The problem is that the WiFi card that is in the MVP is to put it nicely... not so good. (For example: I can have my router in the office and my DLink 520 get's 4 bars sitting on the TV. My laptop gets 4 to 5 bars sitting on the TV, the MVP is lucky to get 2 (Which is not enough, it really needs to be at least 3, and 4 is preferred.
Signal strength has been one problem that has been discussed, but it is not the only one. Some people have the MVP sitting right next to the router with great signal and still can't get it to work properly.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:55 AM
Sage User

Other Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade
Signal strength has been one problem that has been discussed, but it is not the only one. Some people have the MVP sitting right next to the router with great signal and still can't get it to work properly.
Yes you are right. One other thing I never got to work was ANY security on the router at all. Pretty much had to turn security off to get it to work.

Now, I do know that some people have had success with security, and that may no longer be a problem.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:19 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by codacoda
Yes you are right. One other thing I never got to work was ANY security on the router at all. Pretty much had to turn security off to get it to work.

Now, I do know that some people have had success with security, and that may no longer be a problem.
I think it really depends on the router. There should be more router reviews than what there are. I read one from a couple of years ago where there were huge differences in throughput, video streaming, etc.. even when comparing routers from the same manufacturer.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:54 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade
I think it really depends on the router. There should be more router reviews than what there are. I read one from a couple of years ago where there were huge differences in throughput, video streaming, etc.. even when comparing routers from the same manufacturer.

See and that is really what I am guessing it is going to come down to. I have read quite a few things about the strength of the wireless card in them not being the greatest (as stated before, laptop states 4 bars, MVP states 2), but even when a good strong signal, it seems there is streaming issues. I believe very strongly that a lot of that comes down to the router. That is why I was curious for those who have gotten it to work, what are they using for routers? I would be very curious to see the differences. Like I stated, there is a huge difference in capabilities to stream video between my old Belkin and my new Trendnet (I have tested both streaming to my wireless laptop with the same 54g card). Many wireless routers were designed for the sole purpose of transferring emails/internet/etc and not fairly large streams of video (I am not talking about those crappy little 240 x 160 pixel videos we all watch on the internet, but full blown mpeg2 streams) that need constant information fed. I think if we could find out what is working (routers being used/conditions/distance) that it would really help everyone who have wireless mvps that aren't working to at least get an idea of what to try next to get them working. Just my thoughts. I truly have no need for a wireless MVP (house was pre-wired w/ cat5e), but part of me wants to get one just to do some testing.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:19 PM
Sage Expert

I've been avoiding posting anything because I'm using the wired MVP with a wireless bridge/router (a scenario that you explicitly requested NOT be mentioned), but if it boils down to the router, then why does it work for me and not for the wireless MVP?

Not a networking expert, but my theory is that it's poor implementation of networking standards on both the SOHO routers AND the wireless MVP NIC. My guess is that the wireless bridge works because the wireless components compensate for each other.

Just my .02
Stu