SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Studio
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Studio Discussion related to the SageTV Studio application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the Studio software application should be posted here.

Old 10-07-2006, 07:34 AM
Sage Aficionado

Translate STVi

Hi,

I have some questions regarding translating an STVi (not a whole STV!)

Is it possible to translate every STVi by creating a translation source in Studio or must the STVi explicitely support translating its texts?

How must be the filename of the translation file? Must it be
STVi_filename_i18n_xx.properties ?
Or have the translation lines to be appended to the SageTV3_i18n_xx.properties file when the STVi has been imported into the SageTV3.xml?

Thanks,

Oliver

Using SageTV 7.1.9, Java 1.6.0_24 Win7 Home Premium on an
Asus M4N78-AM Mainboard, AMD Athlon II X2 215, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB HDD, 2xTechnoTrend S-2400 as Network Encoder (LM DVB Smart Recorder), ATI Radeon HD 3450 with analog TV-Out on good old CRT TV (100Hz)
My avatar shows the world's best composer!!!
Old 10-07-2006, 09:01 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by owilsky
1.Is it possible to translate every STVi by creating a translation source in Studio or must the STVi explicitely support translating its texts?
You should be able to generate the translation source by loading the STVi into Studio & generatig the source translation file.

Quote:
2.How must be the filename of the translation file? Must it be
STVi_filename_i18n_xx.properties ?
Or have the translation lines to be appended to the SageTV3_i18n_xx.properties file when the STVi has been imported into the SageTV3.xml?
You are going to have to append any new translation lines to the full translation file.

See the v6 Studio manual, p. 141, for more info about translations. My understanding is that you will also need to copy the translation file & rename it to match the new STV's file name after the import process(es) are done.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:49 AM
Sage Aficionado

I don't get it to work.

My settings:
The language in SageTV is set to German.
I use SageTV-11.xml as my STV, various STVis imported, among those dynamic_menu_import.stvi.
SageTV running in service mode, client on same machine (version 6.0.12 beta).

This is what I tried:

I created a translation source from nielms dynamic menu stvi.
At first I want only to translate three of the most obvious strings:
Code:
D__Upcoming_Recordings_="geplante Aufnahmen"
S_Video_Disk_Space=Speicherplatz
D_VideoDiskSpaceFreeMsg_free_=VideoDiskSpaceFreeMsg+" frei"
- I appended the lines to the STVs\SageTV3\SageTV3_i18n_de.properties file. Should work since I see german menus without renaming SageTV3_i18n.... to SageTV3-11_i18n...
- I saved above lines as SageTV3-11_i18n_de.properties just to be sure
- I saved above lines as dynamic_menu_import_i18n_de.properties

None of the above methods are working.
I restarted service and client after each change, strings on "Scheduled Recordings Panel" and "Disk Space Indicator Panel" are still in English.

Any more advice?

Thanks,

Oliver

Asus M4N78-AM Mainboard, AMD Athlon II X2 215, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB HDD, 2xTechnoTrend S-2400 as Network Encoder (LM DVB Smart Recorder), ATI Radeon HD 3450 with analog TV-Out on good old CRT TV (100Hz)
Old 10-20-2006, 09:51 AM
Administrator

Did you also add the untranslated lines to the base translaton file? (The one w/o _de or any other language code added to it.) I just remembered that if the lines are not found there, maybe it won't look for translated versions of those lines.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:22 PM
Sage Aficionado

OK, just tried that, added all English lines from the translation source from dynamic_menu_import.stvi to SageTV3_i18n.properties, restarted server and client. Still no go.

Old 10-20-2006, 12:47 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by owilsky
OK, just tried that, added all English lines from the translation source from dynamic_menu_import.stvi to SageTV3_i18n.properties, restarted server and client. Still no go.
Make sure you are using SageTV3-11_i18n.properties as the base file, since the translation files really need to match the STV name, as far as I know.

- Andy
Old 10-20-2006, 01:09 PM
Sage Aficionado

Copied my SageTV3_i18n.properties with all the lines to SageTV3-11_i18n.properties, still nothing.

Shall I better submit a support request about it? Maybe the core developers can answer what exactly to do? It seems nobody did that before...
Of course I could load the stvi into studio and translate the strings there, but I think the way with properties files SHOULD work.

Old 10-20-2006, 01:47 PM
SageTVaholic

After some playing...

It seems that the translation files used are independant of the STV name, so they are always:
SageTV3_i18n.properties
and SageTV3_i18n_xx.properties
where xx is lang

(it could also be that they are named after the parent directory, but I did not play that much!)

And the translation file is only loaded once (so restart is required once the file is edited)..

So what I did was:
  • Import dynamic menus
  • backup SageTV3_i18n.properties & SageTV3_i18n_de.properties
  • Create translation source in Studio, and save it as
    STVs/SageTV3/SageTV3_i18n.properties, overwriting the existing one
  • edit STVs/SageTV3/SageTV3_i18n_de.properties
  • add the lines above
  • restart the client
  • set lang to de
and that worked

Niel

Last edited by nielm; 10-20-2006 at 01:51 PM.
Old 10-20-2006, 01:53 PM
Administrator

I was just about to post that perhaps you ought to submit a bug report to get more info on it... and now with Niel's post, I really think you ought to send in feedback on it. As far as I know, the translation file should be based on the STV filename, unless it is ignoring the "-##" portion so that it continues to work after imports are applied.

- Andy
Old 10-21-2006, 06:46 AM
Sage Aficionado

OK, now I got it. The trick was not to create the translation source of the stvi but of the whole SageTV3-xx.xml with the stvi imported.

Thanks a lot!

Old 10-21-2006, 07:46 AM
Administrator

Well, the trick was that it wasn't using the "-11" part of the STV file. So for now, it will always use SageTV3_i18n.properties and SageTV3_i18n_xx.properties. I now know why it does this, but I'm a little unclear on what it means for future translation use, so until I know that, just use those files.

And, you had to have the line being translated in both the base & the language-specific properties files. If it doesn't find the line in the base file, it won't bother translating it.

- Andy