SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 11-27-2006, 12:36 PM
SageTVaholic

Anyone running one of these with FiOS?
Old 11-27-2006, 01:06 PM
Sage Aficionado

Just ordered one. This is a very promising device. I hope it continues to develop and mature at its' current rate.

Andy.
Old 11-27-2006, 02:25 PM
Sage Icon

They're developing quickly, there's a new firmware update for today. It's totally usable now though.

P
Old 11-27-2006, 03:30 PM
Sage Fanatic

Hi all,

I've been looking at this thread and cannot see how the HDHR would integrate into Sagetv. How do this unit connect to sagetv and what more should I receive from it when compared to DVICO USB tuners that I have?

thanks for any info

3/HD-100's, 1/HD-200
Old 11-27-2006, 04:10 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdefino
....what more should I receive from it when compared to DVICO USB tuners that I have?
The biggest thing IMO is that you can tune unencrypted QAM from your cable. Tuners like you have can only do this in their own software where as the HDHomeRun does it in Sage.
Old 11-27-2006, 05:37 PM
Sage Icon

One of the things that would be helpful for Sages of this device would be a thread where people can post their channel mapping files for specific cable systems so that everybody doesn't have to reinvent the wheel when installing these.

Most of the large MSO's use the same map throughout a large metropolitan area, so for example if someone in Dallas builds a map, flowermound and ft worth users can just copy it...

I think this would be a big help to folks trying to integrate this.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 11-27-2006, 05:41 PM
SageTVaholic

The HDHR is a stand-alone device that connects to Sage over an Ethernet network. (Instead of a PCI slot or USB connection.) You install a small application on your Sage server, run a configuration routine, and then Sage sees the device just like it sees any other tuner.

Channel mapping is a quasi-manual process since the cable companies do not make it easy to determine where the channels are. From what I've read SiliconDust is working on improving this area.

Their development on integration with Sage has been at an astounding pace but I think this will slow down in the near future. They have said that Sage is first and then BTV and MCE will be supported. They just released a "release candidate" for Sage so I would expect them to put all of their effort into getting something workable for BTV and MCE as soon as the RC is stable. After that they will probably work on refinements. This is all speculation on my part but it makes sense. SiliconDust is very small so they need to get basic support for the "big 3" as soon as possible. The "nice to haves" can come later.

I've been impressed with what I have read over on their forums. These guys are hungry to get their product out. I've been nice all year so Santa is going to leave one under my tree for sure.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:00 PM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via ICQ to teknubic Send a message via AIM to teknubic Send a message via MSN to teknubic Send a message via Yahoo to teknubic
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesm
One of the things that would be helpful for Sages of this device would be a thread where people can post their channel mapping files for specific cable systems so that everybody doesn't have to reinvent the wheel when installing these.

Most of the large MSO's use the same map throughout a large metropolitan area, so for example if someone in Dallas builds a map, flowermound and ft worth users can just copy it...

Thanks,
Mike
Agreed and not just on the 'less work' side but also on the 'incentive to purchase' side. I'd like to find out what I'd be getting above and beyond what I already get OTA and that file would tell me.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:46 PM
Sage Icon

I scanned QAM with my new Olevia 42" on Friday. I got exactly what I get OTA...the "Big 5". I just did a QAM scan with the HDHR (which does QAM 64 & 256" and picked up 3 more channels plus music. I may switch to QAM

P
Old 11-27-2006, 08:03 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesm

Thanks,
Mike
Say no more!
http://forums.freytechnologies.com/f...ad.php?t=21661
Old 11-28-2006, 07:53 AM
Sage Fanatic

OK, you say unencrypted QAM channels....what are they? I would hate to spend $150.00 on this and get nothing more than I'm getting know.

3/HD-100's, 1/HD-200
Old 11-28-2006, 08:34 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdefino
OK, you say unencrypted QAM channels....what are they? I would hate to spend $150.00 on this and get nothing more than I'm getting know.
Depends on your cable company. Typically your local stations that are available OTA. Some of us can't get anything OTA so QAM is a huge bonus for us.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:34 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimper
Ditto! Great product and great support!

Ironed out my EPG problems too!

Guys - just received one. There does not seem to be a definitive answer in this thread or the others regarding EPG data -- but for you guys that worked it out ---- Are you or are you not using guide data from a second zip code to do HD channel mapping -- ala the firewire solution?
Old 11-28-2006, 09:46 AM
SageTVaholic

Yes, you still need to use two channel plans for this solution. But for most people, they will just be able to use the same provider and just map their analog tuners to the basic plan and the HDhomerun's to the extended plan.

Having a problem? Don't forget to include a log! (Instructions for: PlayOn For SageTV v1.5, MediaShrink)
Old 11-28-2006, 09:58 AM
Sage Icon

Bohica,

For OTA you just use the regular OTA line-up for your location, and re-map the channel. For QAM I did what the Penguin said

P

Last edited by Polypro; 03-05-2012 at 01:02 PM.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:10 AM
Sage Advanced User

I got you guys. The problem here -- or a problem for me -- is that this solution is incompatible with firewire recording because it would conflict on the channel map for the second zipcode. I will have to remove my two installations of SageGraphRecorder (firewire) -- to be replaced with this solution. No problem doing that, because support for this one device would be much more elegant that the complex configuration around multiple firewires. I will post my progress... Cheers!
Old 11-28-2006, 10:27 AM
Sage Icon

You could always find another zip code close by and has a very similar lineup and match up the channels you need etc.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:13 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohica
I got you guys. The problem here -- or a problem for me -- is that this solution is incompatible with firewire recording because it would conflict on the channel map for the second zipcode. I will have to remove my two installations of SageGraphRecorder (firewire) -- to be replaced with this solution. No problem doing that, because support for this one device would be much more elegant that the complex configuration around multiple firewires. I will post my progress... Cheers!
For the firewire, I'm using my comcast digital lineup so the channel numbers are all actually the same, don't need to remap them..

For the HDHomerun, I use the local ATSC lineup - I then remap them to the proper QAM channels..

I took out the PCI Fusion 5 card...
Old 11-28-2006, 07:17 PM
Sage Icon

Are both tuners capable of tuning ATSC and QAM or is one ATSC and one QAM?
Old 11-28-2006, 07:21 PM
Sage Icon

You can setup any combination you like for the two tuners. Possible combos are:
OTA ATSC - OTA ATSC
OTA ATSC - QAM
QAM - QAM
QAM - OTA ATSC