SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 10-10-2006, 08:23 PM
Sage Advanced User

Eyes Hurt

I'm having an issue where my eyes start to hurt after a while. The video quality looks good, I'm using the NVidia decoder with weaving and VMR9. I have noticed that I don't see the NVidia icon in the system tray.

The issue leads me to believe it is a refresh issue. But, the tv monitor properties only allow 60hz. I've increased the flicker setting. Maybe I need to increase the sharpness as well.

My TV is a sony 27 inch. It's probably around 10 or 11 years. I'm not sure if this is part of the problem. I have a video switch to switch between my SageTv PVR and the Cox DVR. My eyes are fine with the Cox DVR.

Anybody else come across this problem? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jay
Old 10-11-2006, 05:24 AM
SageTVaholic

Do you feel more sick during horizontal panning? (eg watching motor sports?) If so, it may be that forcing weave deinterlacing causing combing effects with horizontal movement. You maybe better off with using one of NvDVDs automatic/smart deinterlacing techniques.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:09 AM
Sage Advanced User

I was watching The Unit last night. I think it is any regular show. News would do the same thing. When looking closer I can tell the video is slightly cloudy, when compared to regular TV. I have a video switch, keep on switching back and forth, and the regular tv is sharper.

In detailed setup-> video --> decoder. There is another decoder for NVidia PostProcessor. Am I supposed to use that instead?

Based on your comments, how would I set that up. In sage would I set the deinterfacing to default, and then in the NVidia settings change it to automatic/smart . What does the Mpeg mode give you (not sure if that is the actually name, but it has options for A, B, C, etc ).

Also, I don't see the icon in the system tray for the Purevideo. I thought I used to see it, but I can't be certain it was with SageTv. I generally use GbPVR to configure the Nvidia Purevideo.
Old 10-11-2006, 03:37 PM
Sage Fanatic

In order to access the Purevideo tray icon when using SageTV you need to have the video decoder set to default. Hopefully purevideo is your default decoder, which will be obvious, by whether or not the purevideo tray icon appears.

Personally, I get a better picture for SDTV recordings with my old Intervideo decoders that hauppauge provided with my pvr-250 than I do with the purevideo decoders. Though purevideo works great for me on HDTV.

From http://www.htpcnews.com/forums/index...howtopic=20763:
"The NVIDIA Post Processor (NVPP) is a filter that is normally hidden from users. It is used seemlesly when a GeForce 6 or 7 series is installed to enable the special PureVideo features such as bad edit detection.

Some 3rd party programs like ZoomPlayer can access this filter explicitly when this is acessed directly it is a way to force some (but not all, by a long shot) of the extra capabilties of the decoder that are normally done in hardware on GeForce 6 and 7 series cards and normaly unavailable to other GPUs, of course without the hardware it is done in software on your CPU.

So generally you don't need to mess with the Post Processor decoder filter especially if you have a GeForce 6 or 7 series because you disable the hardware post processing features by forcing the NVIDIA Post Processor on."

Last edited by malore; 10-11-2006 at 03:40 PM.
Old 10-11-2006, 04:42 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks, I'll give it a try.
Old 10-11-2006, 05:48 PM
Sage Advanced User

Ok, I set the video decoder to default, and the NVidia PureVideo decoder still doesn't show up in the taskbar. I downloaded the microsoft decoder check utility, and nvidia purevideo is the preferred decoder.

Using GDB-PVR to configure the decoder, I have it set to Automatic De-interfacing.

Just as a check, I ran Beyond TV, and that displayed the damn icon in the system tray.

In addition, when default was set, if there is a lot of motion I see some horizontal lines in the video. But if I set the decoder back to NVidia, the lines go away.

I'm going to give it some time to see if my eyes still hurt.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:34 AM
Sage Advanced User

What seemed to make the difference was to have Video settings set to VMR9 and NVidia Decoder. In addition, I had to change to not use Full Screen Exclusively. Strange about the full screen, but I think that is what did the trick on my TV.