SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 10-12-2006, 09:11 AM
Sage Advanced User

Crazy Idea: double check the show being recroded is correct

Please bear with me ... this is a crazy idea.

My Sony television displays the show title when I first switch to a channel. So if I switch to channel A, and show B is being aired on that channel, for a few moments after I switched the channel, the name of the show is displayed on the screen, much like closed captions.

Does anyone know how this works, how the TV gets that's information ?

Would this be possible with capture, like my Hauppauge 250s ?

If it was, this could allow Sage to retreive that information from the shows signal (I guess) and match it with what it is supposed to be recroding. If Sage found that the info did not match, it could take an action. This would allow Sage to either flag the show as a potential problem, or better, try to schedule a duplicate capture of the show.

For instance, last night one of my scheduled recordings worked perfectly from Sage's stand point (tuned the STB to the correct channel, captured it properly, etc.) but the show being aired was the wrong one. In fact, not only was Sage's EPG wrong, but so was the STBs from my cable company. The show aired several times last night (multiple channels, east coast/west coast) but I only noticed it this morning, too late to record it again.

I did tell you this was a crazy idea, didn't I ? But if it could work, it would be another feature that would make Sage bulletproof.

What do you guys think ?
Old 10-12-2006, 10:15 AM
SageTVaholic

I would imagine your TV is retrieving the EPG data like Sage already does for its program guide. My grandparents have an old TV that uses the TVguide+ and it does the same thing your TV is doing and it also has the guide you can browse.