SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 10-12-2006, 01:27 PM
Sage User

Question Setup MediaMVP

I have a PC located in my office with a PVR-500 tuner card that is wired to my switch my MediaMVP unit is also on the same network and wired.

What SageTV software is needed to be installed to get my MediaMVP unit to work.
Do i need to install both SageTV and SageTV client on the same box with the tuner card for the MediaMVP to work?

I want to record, watch and send video to the MediaMVP unit that is connected to the TV.

Thanks,
Ron
Old 10-12-2006, 01:41 PM
Sage Advanced User

Just the server software, the client is used for PC based clients.
Old 10-12-2006, 01:47 PM
Sage User

Exactly what do you mean by that.

I would have a second PC in another room connected to a TV, intead of the MediaMVP unit?

Thanks,
Ron
Old 10-12-2006, 02:01 PM
Sage Advanced User

You can if you don’t wish to use an MVP but a separate PC can cost more unless you have an extra one lying around; also the PC may be louder from fan noise.
There is other benefits to the PC, with the codec’s loaded the PC client can play more file type then the MVP without the server having to convert them, because the MVP plays MPEG1,2 & 3 only. AVI, WMV and other video/audio types will require the server to convert them to MPEG2/3 at real time for the MVP. The PC will not require this with proper codec’s.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:01 PM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via AIM to acrowe Send a message via MSN to acrowe Send a message via Yahoo to acrowe
You could have a PC client in addition to your MVP, but you need to have licenses for both of them.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:28 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGoodSolutions
I have a PC located in my office with a PVR-500 tuner card that is wired to my switch my MediaMVP unit is also on the same network and wired.

What SageTV software is needed to be installed to get my MediaMVP unit to work.
Do i need to install both SageTV and SageTV client on the same box with the tuner card for the MediaMVP to work?

I want to record, watch and send video to the MediaMVP unit that is connected to the TV.

Thanks,
Ron
You need to have the full SageTV media center software (server) installed on your computer with the pvr500 card (which I'll call the SageTV server from here on out). Go into detailed setup in SageTV on the server and enable the media extender/placeshifter server. Now plug in your MVP. It should detect your server running sage. Set this as the preffered server and it should then proceed to boot into SageTV on the MVP. The client software is not required for the MediaMVP, however a media extender license is required to use the MediaMVP beyond the trial period. This license number is entered and stored on the SageTV server through a separate applet in the SageTV Start Menu folder.

Just a couple of notes:

1. The MediaMVP requires a DHCP server to assign it an IP address.
2. I have read that the MVP should be on the same switch as the SageTV server. Mine is, but I have never tested to see if this is necessary.

Hopefully that will do it. Good luck.

Aloha,
Mike

Last edited by MeInMaui; 10-12-2006 at 02:31 PM.
Old 10-12-2006, 04:57 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInMaui
I have read that the MVP should be on the same switch as the SageTV server.
Nope, just put in my first MVP today, problem reports to follow...
But it's connecting and playing - my server is connected to my router, and there are two switches between my router and the new MVP, so I guess that's not a problem...
unRAID Server: Intel Core i5 7600K, 48GB DDR4, 2x512GB PCIe M.2 Cache Pool, 2x10TB SATA3 Parity Drive, 3x8TB SATA Array, 1x hdHomeRun DVB-T2 Quattro, IPTV via xTeVe, unRAID 6.8.3, tvHeadEnd for recording back end, Emby
Clients: 3 Nvidia Shields, 3 FireTV, 3 Win10 Pro PC Clients
Old 10-12-2006, 05:12 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickgillyon
Nope, just put in my first MVP today, problem reports to follow...
But it's connecting and playing - my server is connected to my router, and there are two switches between my router and the new MVP, so I guess that's not a problem...
Good to know. Thanks.