SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 10-12-2006, 08:05 PM
Sage Expert

Problems transcoding with AMD processor?

This is related to another post where I describe some problems I'm having transcoding HD material. I'm creating a new post for this because I heard back from Sage BetaTest and they asked me to find out if anyone else might be having similar problems using an AMD processor.

Here's the text of the email I received:
Quote:
I think this is processor related. Can you see if the others on the forum have the issue if they're using an AMD processor? I think we may be
compiling it for Intel only which would cause weird behaviors like this.
The issues I've seen are:
1) No successful transcodes of HD material using Mpeg4 settings. Fails immediately.
2) Irregular problems transcoding HD using "DVD Compatible - Standard" settings. Will sometimes work. Othertimes gets to 100% then hangs or crashes.

I'm not sure if this is thought to only be HD related, or if any transcodes on an AMD processor may be suspect.

The most helpful thing would probably be for anyone using an AMD processor who's having any problems at all with the "Converting" functionality to post it here so we can figure out if the problem is AMD related.

Thanks.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:24 PM
Sage Expert

Well, since I haven't figured out exactly what transcoding is, I can't really answer your question.

But I do have an Athlon 64 processor, and I am having the issues described in the Transcoding Maxes out CPU thread and the Cannot Restart after long periods of inactivity thread. Both are related somehow to the transcoding part of the program.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:30 PM
Sage Aficionado

I can transcode SD material fine on an AMD processor, for whatever that is worth.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:27 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by popechild
This is related to another post where I describe some problems I'm having transcoding HD material. I'm creating a new post for this because I heard back from Sage BetaTest and they asked me to find out if anyone else might be having similar problems using an AMD processor.

Here's the text of the email I received:

The issues I've seen are:
1) No successful transcodes of HD material using Mpeg4 settings. Fails immediately.
2) Irregular problems transcoding HD using "DVD Compatible - Standard" settings. Will sometimes work. Othertimes gets to 100% then hangs or crashes.

I'm not sure if this is thought to only be HD related, or if any transcodes on an AMD processor may be suspect.

The most helpful thing would probably be for anyone using an AMD processor who's having any problems at all with the "Converting" functionality to post it here so we can figure out if the problem is AMD related.

Thanks.
I have an intel p4 and see the same thing. Can transcode HD to PSP though

B
Old 10-12-2006, 10:05 PM
Sage Aficionado

I have successfully transcoded several HD programs to DVD Long Play and viewed them on an MVP. That is the only format I have tried so far. I have an AMD 64 2800
Old 10-13-2006, 01:29 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlabrue
I have successfully transcoded several HD programs to DVD Long Play and viewed them on an MVP. That is the only format I have tried so far. I have an AMD 64 2800
Would you mind trying to transcode an HD program to an Mpeg4 setting? Preferably try a half hour and an hour show and see if either/both work?
Old 10-13-2006, 03:19 AM
Sage Icon

I've successfully transcoded a number of SD files, not seen a problem with it.
unRAID Server: Intel Core i5 7600K, 48GB DDR4, 2x512GB PCIe M.2 Cache Pool, 2x10TB SATA3 Parity Drive, 3x8TB SATA Array, 1x hdHomeRun DVB-T2 Quattro, IPTV via xTeVe, unRAID 6.8.3, tvHeadEnd for recording back end, Emby
Clients: 3 Nvidia Shields, 3 FireTV, 3 Win10 Pro PC Clients
Old 10-13-2006, 08:06 AM
SageTVaholic

Transcode testing

I picked one show and started the transcode process on all available types. (30 min HD show) It failed on

DVD Comp. LP AC3
DVD Comp. SP AC3
Mpeg4 Deint. Good
Mpeg4 Deint. High
Mpeg4 Good
Mpeg4 High

I never let it run through to see if it would hang on finish, although I have transcoded PSP before.

My server is running P4 2.8HT processor. I have filed a bug report and sent logs.

BTW - I think all failed jobs are AC3 encodes, and all successful starts or downmixed to stereo (MP3?)

B
Old 10-22-2006, 11:27 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by popechild
Would you mind trying to transcode an HD program to an Mpeg4 setting? Preferably try a half hour and an hour show and see if either/both work?
I can do HD to DVD compatible without problems but I cannot get any HD to convert to the iPod flavors. I am doing an HD to MP4 Deinterlaced conversion now it is still running. This is a one hour. I'll need to record something in HD that is 30 minutes to tet that. Everything I record in HD is 60 minutes.
Old 10-24-2006, 05:49 PM
Sage User

I am able to transcode to any format fine using an AMD processor. The problem I am running into is that SageTV is not freeing up space used for the transcoding process. Recordings where disappearing. Actually, my first noticed the problem. I kept blaming her for deleting stuff by accident. I filed a bug report and heard back that they saw the problem and it will e fixed in the next build release. Until then, as I transcode, I have to stop and restart SageTV to correct the problem.
Clone, Intel 945GTP, Intel Pentium D @ 2.8GHz, 1GB DDR2 RAM, 1x80GB SATA (OS, App), 2x200GB SATA (Recording), 1xDVD R/RW, 1xDVD/CD Combo w/10-in-1 Card Reader, Intel On-Board IGD, 1xPVR500MCE, 1xPVR150, Windows XP Pro (SP2), MCE Remote/Receiver and 2xIR Blaster
---
SageTV Media Center v6.0.19.120, SageTV PlaceShifter v6.0.19, J2SE 1.5.0-11
---
MediaMVP to RCA 61" DLP (1080i, 16:9), MediaMVP to RCA 27" (480i, 4:3), Logitech Harmony 880
---
FreeNAS v0.671, ClarkConnect Community Edition v4.x