SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 10-20-2006, 10:01 AM
Sage Expert

Ordered V6 Upgrade, Got version 5!

Whats up here? I bought the V6 upgrade for 29.99 (GREAT PRICE and a deal by the way, I too am OK/ happy with this price structure! )

I got my email and Key almost INSTANTLY. When I follow the link to download the software, it down loads "SageTV_V5_0_4SETUP".

I'm currently running Version 5.0.x! Is this the correct file? The manual (pdf file) also says version 5.

How do I tell if my key is for V6 or for the V5 software I don't need or want? I know this is being picky, but I'd like a 'matched' software download and key. I don't want a V5 key that 'works' with version 6. I'd prefer a v6 upgrade key.

I cuurenly have a version 2.x key.

NEW: DELL OPTIPLEX 755, 4GB MEM, ATI DVIX (DUAL) VIDEO, PVR-1250MCE & PVR-500MCE, 1.3TB HDD's
Old 10-20-2006, 10:07 AM
Sage Aficionado

Ver 6 is not currently out its still in Beta, that is why you got v5. You can d/l v6 and use that key with it. Download it from here
Old 10-20-2006, 10:27 AM
Sage Fanatic

Cenwesi is correct, if you look further down in the email it probably says the same as mine.

If you'd like to try the next beta version of this software, it is available at:
http://www.sage.tv/beta.html
Old 10-20-2006, 10:50 AM
Sage Expert

OKEE DOKEE,

Does this mean I will be able to download 6.0.x when it's a full release (not beta) and do a fresh install and use the key I just got?

I only ask cause I plan on burning / saving this to disc, as I seem to 'clean house' every 6-8 months and format the drive. In 8 months I just want install to be a no-brainer, get disc, install software, cut and paste key from text file, DONE.

WAIT.. Will I have to insert my 2.0 key first, or worse, install 2.0-5.0 before installing 6 EVERY time????

BTW, seems kinda sneeky to call my purchase a V6 UPGRADE, then send me a link to V5 software! Indeed my email did have the link to download the beta, I just ignored it as I just wanted to install a 'stable' system (v6) at this time and didn't feel like beta testing. So I basically bought 'VAPOR WARE', until v6 is released and available for download.

NEW: DELL OPTIPLEX 755, 4GB MEM, ATI DVIX (DUAL) VIDEO, PVR-1250MCE & PVR-500MCE, 1.3TB HDD's

Last edited by broderp; 10-20-2006 at 11:09 AM.
Old 10-20-2006, 11:15 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by broderp
OKEE DOKEE,

Does this mean I will be able to download 6.0.x when it's a full release (not beta) and do a fresh install and use the key I just got?
You'll have to put the old key in, and then the new key I believe, but shouldn't have to install an old version first.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:23 PM
Sage Fanatic

Edit: The quoted post has since been deleted as inaccurate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
When you install v6, you'll enter just the v6 key.

- Andy
So what stops someone who doesn't already own SageTV from just ordering the upgrade and getting SageTV for $30? Do you check to see if their name is on file before sending the upgrade?

Last edited by malore; 10-20-2006 at 12:54 PM.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:34 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by malore
So what stops someone who doesn't already own SageTV from just ordering the upgrade and getting SageTV for $30? Do you check to see if their name is on file before sending the upgrade?
Mhh, Andy might be wrong in this case.
I had to do a reinstall of my machine, and I am pretty sure it asked me for my 4.x and my upgrade key ...

Dirk
Old 10-20-2006, 12:35 PM
SageTVaholic

Yeah, I know I had to put both keys in.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:38 PM
Administrator

Sorry for the wrong information. I'm going to delete my previous post, which was based on a misunderstanding on my part: I thought there was an upgrade check done at the time the license is purchased, but that is not the case.

I double checked w/SageTV & yes, you'll need to keep your old license around. If you install v6 on a new system w/o any previous SageTV license already in use, then you'll need to first enter your old license when SageTV runs for the first time. After you enter the pre-v6 (OK, pre-v5) license, it should ask for the v6 upgrade license. If it doesn't do that immediately, it should do so the next time SageTV is started.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:51 PM
Sage Icon

For those of us that purchase the upgrade key (Since the upgrade price is only good for a little while and will probably go away before full release), Is it like we are upgrading from 5 to 5?

For instance, When version 7 comes out will Version 6 users get a free pass but Ver 5 keys need to upgrade? If so then upgrading policy will not be good...
Old 10-20-2006, 01:10 PM
Sage Icon

For current v4 users, v6 costs $30 whereas v5 was no cost? Or am I confused?
Old 10-20-2006, 01:39 PM
Sage User

That is correct.
Old 10-20-2006, 01:50 PM
SageTVaholic

I seem to recall an entire thread covering these sort of issues!
Old 10-20-2006, 02:14 PM
Sage Expert

I'm perfectly fine with installing two keys. Thank You.

But I sure hope that my key is good for version 7, and I don't have to get another because my key is an "upgrade" key and not a full key.

If not, SAGE should probaly let us know this ahead of time. Many are buying now at a 'early bird' specal price, but how much are we saving if we have to purchace a new key every revision as apposed to waiting for the revision to be release and paying more, but getting a free upgrade? (Man that sounds confusing!)

Old 10-20-2006, 04:59 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by broderp
But I sure hope that my key is good for version 7, and I don't have to get another because my key is an "upgrade" key and not a full key.
I don't believe Sage has ever said those who purchase v6 will get a free upgrade to v7. I would guess the upgrade to v7 will depend on additional features offered and how costly they were to develop.
Old 10-20-2006, 05:08 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade
I don't believe Sage has ever said those who purchase v6 will get a free upgrade to v7. I would guess the upgrade to v7 will depend on additional features offered and how costly they were to develop.
Nope, Sage hasn't said that. However, if I were buying a full version license of Sage today, I'd want to make sure I got a V6 license, since you never know what the future may hold. It would sure suck to find out that you missed getting a free upgrade by 1 week. IIRC, I saw some people have that happen, bought V4, and V5 came out days later.
Old 10-20-2006, 06:04 PM
SageTVaholic

I respectfully suggest that we not rehash the whole upgrade policy debate here in the General forum. There are in fact two threads in the Beta forum that discuss the upgrade issue at length (well over 400 posts). In the (unlikely) event that anyone has anything new to say on the subject, those threads would be the place to say it.

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20299
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20368