SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 10-21-2006, 07:45 AM
Sage User

Video Stutters in Sage but not Media Player?

I have a fresh install of Sage using the latest Nvidia decoders and I'm having a problem with the video stuttering during playback in Sage, but if I play the same recorded video back in Windows media player it is perfectly smooth.

I have verified I am using the same Nvidia decoders in both sage and media player (nvidia icon appears when using both). I also have tried almost every setting is sage and even with all video options on default I have the same issue. I've tried turning 3d acceleratioon on and off, tried using FEs and otrher options but nothing seems to help.

This is all while playing back SD video recorded on a PVR-150 and PVR-250.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Rob
Old 10-21-2006, 09:14 AM
Sage Icon

Is WMP set up for Overlay or VMR9? How is Sage set up? (Overlay, VMR9, FSE?).

P
Old 10-21-2006, 09:45 AM
SageTVaholic

People really need to know what video card you're using.

If you're doing VMR in WMP instead of overlay it is most likely VMR7 not 9.
Old 10-21-2006, 10:25 AM
Sage User

I'm running a Ti4200 outputting via s-video.

I have sage set to use overlay now, but I've also tried VMR7 and VMR9 set both from within Sage and from the nvidia decoder properties.

I curerently have sage set to default and it gives the exact same results as overlay, and I'm assuming when its set to default it's using the same format as WMP...

Thanks for any other advice,
Rob
Old 10-21-2006, 11:08 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Andersen
I have sage set to use overlay now, but I've also tried VMR7 and VMR9 set both from within Sage and from the nvidia decoder properties.
You can't switch between Overlay, VMR7 or 9 through the Nvidia decoder.

Quote:
I curerently have sage set to default and it gives the exact same results as overlay, and I'm assuming when its set to default it's using the same format as WMP...
Default in Sage uses VMR7.
Old 10-21-2006, 11:26 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade
You can't switch between Overlay, VMR7 or 9 through the Nvidia decoder.

Hmm, I have the option to select "prefer overlay", "prefer VMR7" etc in the nvidia properties and it seemed to make a difference in sage when I changed them...

Default in Sage uses VMR7.
Ok, well there's no difference between default and overlay when set in sage. It just seems weird that it plays perfectly in WMP and stutters in sage? Is there a way to determine the exact playback configuration being used in WMP so I can make sure sage is set the same way?

Thanks again,
Rob
Old 10-21-2006, 01:07 PM
Sage User

Quick update, I found that turning off hardware acceleration is the nvidia properties cured the stuttering but my cpu usage jumps from 40% to 75% (1.0gHz AMD).

Is there any reason why turning hardware acelleration on should cause the stuttering?

Thanks,
Rob
Old 10-21-2006, 01:45 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Andersen
Quick update, I found that turning off hardware acceleration is the nvidia properties cured the stuttering but my cpu usage jumps from 40% to 75% (1.0gHz AMD).

Is there any reason why turning hardware acelleration on should cause the stuttering?
Some video cards aren't powerful enough to do hardware accelleration.
Old 10-21-2006, 04:07 PM
Sage Aficionado

Right, what blade said.

For my machine, I MUST turn on FSE to eliminate the stuttering while using VMR9 in SageTV. If I don't, I get a tear in the upper right, and some random hiccups during panning of video.

I never did try WMP, because I hate the thing with a passion So I can't say if it worked in WMP and not Sage.

DVDs for me always played back fine, with or without FSE, and also with SageTV or Zoomplayer. It was only recorded shows for me that were herky.

One thing to note: 'trying FSE' requires you to QUIT SageTV and load it back up with "-startup". Also making sure that SageTV is set to "Load to Fullscreen". Otherwise FSE doesnt seem to enable, and it runs exactly the same as it did with FSE off.

To do the -startup, make an alias to Sage.exe and just add -startup after the end quotes of the command to run, ex: "c:\program files\frey\sage.exe" -startup

This makes sage load up like it was being launched when the machine was rebooted. I use it all the time and it works great, making sure sage behaves clean each time I have to load it.

EDIT: this tip is for Sage Release 5, not the 6 betas. Not sure what the betas do.

Last edited by IncredibleHat; 10-21-2006 at 04:09 PM.