SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 10-21-2006, 11:19 AM
Sage Aficionado

MVP Firmware Versions

I just got an e-mail from SageTV support recommending I update the firmware on my MVP.

I've also noticed that Hauppauge's change logs for their dongles list updated firmware versions. For example:

05/05/06 3.2.24125b Aaron Ho 1.Update firmware to 1.1.42

04/20/06 3.2.24110b Aaron Ho 1.Support OSD in client function.
2.Update firmware to 1.1.41

04/05/06 3.1.24088 Aaron Ho 1.Update firmware to 1.1.38

03/24/06 3.0.24088 Aaron Ho 1.Update firmware to 1.1.36

However, whenever I install these new Hauppauge software versions, and load the Hauppauge software, the Server Selection screen on my MVP continues to ALWAYS show version 1.1.38.

Has anyone else out there been able to get their MVP to load the new firmware versions? (1.1.41 or 1.1.42, for example)?

Is this possible or are these firmware versions read-only?

Thanks,
Dan
Old 10-21-2006, 01:58 PM
Sage Aficionado

MVP Firmware update I got an 'old' MVP, it's first screen shows v1.0 I believe (on the box it says Rev D3A). I have been wondering for long time if there is never an update for the basic MVP software available, but never found one.

Would appreciate if you can point me to the location I have to be to get more information on MVP firmware

Jan
Old 10-21-2006, 02:08 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by JParedis
MVP Firmware update I got an 'old' MVP, it's first screen shows v1.0 I believe (on the box it says Rev D3A). I have been wondering for long time if there is never an update for the basic MVP software available, but never found one.

Would appreciate if you can point me to the location I have to be to get more information on MVP firmware

Jan
Just download any Hauppauge software pack (MediaMVPSetup), unzip the file to a directory, and check out ReleaseNotes.txt.

I've attached a sample from their recent alpha version.

Is v1.0 what comes up on your Server Selection Screen?? (I see v2.05 on the first screen, and 1.1.34 on my Server Selection Screen)

-Dan
Attached Files
File Type: txt RELEASENOTES.TXT (12.5 KB, 455 views)
Old 10-22-2006, 05:59 AM
Sage Aficionado

Ok, I believe I understand where the confusion is coming from (my side).

The MVP has included in its 'base' pacakge some software which when it starts up looks for a DCHP to get its IP, and looks for a service. Once found it downloads the MVP user software package. Once this is downloaded, it reboots again but now with the downloaded package.

I thought you were talking about that first - base - software, which I got on my initial screen as Rev1.0. I always wondered what the later Rev's improved to it, and if I could not flash an upgrade to the MVP.

When I run the Hauppauge service instead of the SageTV I do got v3.2.24125b running. But that's uploaded each time you reboot the MVP, so not an upgrade to the actual MCP.

Sorry for the confusion.
Old 10-22-2006, 08:32 AM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via ICQ to willgill
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdnttoker
Just download any Hauppauge software pack (MediaMVPSetup), unzip the file to a directory, and check out ReleaseNotes.txt.

I've attached a sample from their recent alpha version.

Is v1.0 what comes up on your Server Selection Screen?? (I see v2.05 on the first screen, and 1.1.34 on my Server Selection Screen)

-Dan
I have v2.04 and 1.1.34 on my Server Selection Screen. Is there an update to this? Is there a firmware upgrade to the MVP? How would I flash the MVP? I loaded up the latest released and then tried the beta version of the MVP Setup software. I shutdown SageTV. When I rebooted the MVP, it came up with MVP software just fine.

When I shutdown the MVP service and started SageTV, I was on the same v2.04 and 1.1.34 on the Server Selection Screen. I have a wireless bridge going to a wired version, but I don't think that should make any difference.
Server: WinXPProSP2, Athlon64 4000+ Dual Core, ASUS NVidia Premium SLI MB, 2Gig DDR, 2xGeForce 7800GTX in SLI, 2x250G SATA HD's in RAID stripe, 250G SATA Video, 250G Backup HD, Onboard Realtek sound, PureVid 1.0.2.223, SageTV 6.3.8
HTPC: WinXPProSP2, AthlonXP 1700+, 1GigDDR, ATI Radeon 2400HD AGP with , Overlay, SageTV 6.3.8
iTreadmill: Media MVP with USRobotics wireless bridge.

Last edited by willgill; 10-22-2006 at 09:29 AM.
Old 10-22-2006, 10:52 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by willgill
I have v2.04 and 1.1.34 on my Server Selection Screen. Is there an update to this? Is there a firmware upgrade to the MVP? How would I flash the MVP? I loaded up the latest released and then tried the beta version of the MVP Setup software. I shutdown SageTV. When I rebooted the MVP, it came up with MVP software just fine.

When I shutdown the MVP service and started SageTV, I was on the same v2.04 and 1.1.34 on the Server Selection Screen. I have a wireless bridge going to a wired version, but I don't think that should make any difference.
That's my question...is there a way to permanently upgrade the firmware from 1.1.34 to 1.1.42, etc? The answer appears to be no.

But then why does Hauppauge publish "firmware" update versions in their releases if it never gets flashed to the MVP?

I've contacted Hauppauge support, we'll see if they're any more helpful then usual...

-Dan
Old 10-22-2006, 11:11 AM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via ICQ to willgill
Ah, that's what I thought you were saying. Please post anything they say. I'm sure many would appreciate it. I'm with you.... why would they post those firmware revisions if there's no way to change it. It would just make older firmware users frustrated.
Server: WinXPProSP2, Athlon64 4000+ Dual Core, ASUS NVidia Premium SLI MB, 2Gig DDR, 2xGeForce 7800GTX in SLI, 2x250G SATA HD's in RAID stripe, 250G SATA Video, 250G Backup HD, Onboard Realtek sound, PureVid 1.0.2.223, SageTV 6.3.8
HTPC: WinXPProSP2, AthlonXP 1700+, 1GigDDR, ATI Radeon 2400HD AGP with , Overlay, SageTV 6.3.8
iTreadmill: Media MVP with USRobotics wireless bridge.
Old 10-22-2006, 06:56 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdnttoker
That's my question...is there a way to permanently upgrade the firmware from 1.1.34 to 1.1.42, etc? The answer appears to be no.

But then why does Hauppauge publish "firmware" update versions in their releases if it never gets flashed to the MVP?

I've contacted Hauppauge support, we'll see if they're any more helpful then usual...

-Dan
It is my hopefully correct understanding that the MVPs don't keep their operating program in flash but rather, it's in RAM. Each time the unit powers on, it downloads from the server the operating software to run in RAM. In flash, all it has is the code to DHCP and BOOTP to the server. I think.
Old 10-23-2006, 12:16 PM
Sage Aficionado

Confirmed by Hauppauge: Two areas of Flash in the MVP, a non-upgradeable boot rom and the flashable/volatile ram that loads the dongle.

It is impossible to upgrade the boot rom.

Still doesn't answer why the publish new boot rom versions in their release notes though.

-Dan
Old 10-23-2006, 03:29 PM
Sage Aficionado

And another question I got is, as I got today than Rev 1.0 as not upgradeable in my MVP, what is the difference with a later Rev?
Will a new MVP with the latest Rev of not upgradeable boot software give me anything better?
Old 10-23-2006, 05:31 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by JParedis
And another question I got is, as I got today than Rev 1.0 as not upgradeable in my MVP, what is the difference with a later Rev?
Will a new MVP with the latest Rev of not upgradeable boot software give me anything better?
Good question. And also, is there any way to know what firmware an MVP has before purchasing it?

For example, I was kinda liking this new change in the 3.3.24265b release:

4. Faster 5 seconds when loading kernel
5. Faster 4 seconds when connecting GUI server

It'd be nice if older MVP users could gain these advantages...

-Dan

Last edited by mdnttoker; 10-23-2006 at 05:43 PM.