SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 10-25-2006, 07:15 PM
Sage User

Send a message via MSN to AtomicPenguin
Question Problems with Media Extender (MVP)

Ordered the Media Extender which came in today. Plugged it up and I'm having issues. I've searched the forums but I'm still really unclear on exactly how to go about fixing this problem.

Problem: Media Extender comes up with 'Failed to Locate GUI Server'

SageTV Version: 5.0.4 (Using SageMC & Webserver add-on)

This is the wired Media Extender. Using Linksys WRT54G Router on the network. SageTV server is connected via a wireless bridge on it's ethernet port. Currently there is no firewall on the SageTV server. Do these MVPs normally show hostnames in the DHCP table? I see an entry for it with no hostname but with an IP and I can ping it with no problem.

Any suggestions besides posting a log file (I'll try to post one soon)?
Old 10-25-2006, 07:52 PM
SageTVaholic

Did you enable the media extender server in SageTV under detailed setup?

Mike
Old 10-25-2006, 08:05 PM
Sage User

Yes per the instructions I enabled the 'SageTV Server' and the 'Media Extender and PlaceShifter Server'.

*EDIT*

I enabled logging on the server, started up SageTV and then powered on the Media Extender. The last bit in the log is all I see where it is referenced:
Quote:
Wed 10/25 21:50:35.440 Received mvp packet

Wed 10/25 21:50:35.641 Sending mvp reply
Wed 10/25 21:50:46.499 Received mvp packet

Wed 10/25 21:50:46.704 Sending mvp reply
Wed 10/25 21:50:57.455 Received mvp packet

Wed 10/25 21:50:57.655 Sending mvp reply
Wed 10/25 21:51:08.412 Received mvp packet

Wed 10/25 21:51:08.608 Sending mvp reply
Wed 10/25 21:51:19.471 Received mvp packet

Wed 10/25 21:51:19.670 Sending mvp reply

Last edited by AtomicPenguin; 10-25-2006 at 08:54 PM.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:57 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicPenguin
Yes per the instructions I enabled the 'SageTV Server' and the 'Media Extender and PlaceShifter Server'.
Did you do the configuration in the default STV (SageTV3.xml)?

Did you toggle the SageTV Server option off & back on after enabling the media extender server? If not, try that, or simply exit & restart SageTV on your server.

If you haven't already done so, check the firewall ports that need to be opened for MVP usage.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 10-25-2006, 09:19 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
Did you do the configuration in the default STV (SageTV3.xml)?

Did you toggle the SageTV Server option off & back on after enabling the media extender server? If not, try that, or simply exit & restart SageTV on your server.

If you haven't already done so, check the firewall ports that need to be opened for MVP usage.

- Andy
Did the config while in the default STV. I tried toggling the SageTV Server option off & back on several times with no luck. There is currently no firewall on the SageTV server.

I've attached a log incase it might help.
Attached Files
File Type: txt sagetv_0.txt (85.6 KB, 349 views)
Old 10-25-2006, 09:34 PM
Sage User

I have since uninstalled it, but the Media Extender was working with the Hauppauge software (installed it on another computer). I installed it just to make sure something wasn't wrong with the unit.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:11 AM
Sage User

Exclamation

Does anyone have any idea why SageTV would have issues with the Media Extender while at the same time it was able to connect up to the Hauppauge software?

I would think the fact that it does work with the Hauppauge software rules out my router's dhcp server as an issue.

In an effort to make sure it wasn't the wireless bridge causing an issue, I connected the machine directly to the router's switch with no improvement. I also installed the trial version of SageTV 5.0.4 & the latest beta on my personal system to which the Media Extender failed to see as well (does it even connect to trial versions?).
Old 10-26-2006, 10:03 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Does anyone have any idea why SageTV would have issues with the Media Extender while at the same time it was able to connect up to the Hauppauge software?
"At the same time"? You're not running the Hauppauge software at the same time as Sage are you? If so it won't connect to Sage...
unRAID Server: Intel Core i5 7600K, 48GB DDR4, 2x512GB PCIe M.2 Cache Pool, 2x10TB SATA3 Parity Drive, 3x8TB SATA Array, 1x hdHomeRun DVB-T2 Quattro, IPTV via xTeVe, unRAID 6.8.3, tvHeadEnd for recording back end, Emby
Clients: 3 Nvidia Shields, 3 FireTV, 3 Win10 Pro PC Clients
Old 10-26-2006, 10:11 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickgillyon
"At the same time"? You're not running the Hauppauge software at the same time as Sage are you? If so it won't connect to Sage...
No. I turned off SageTV, installed the Hauppauge software on another computer and the MVP connected to it. I then uninstalled the Hauppauge software and restarted SageTV.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:16 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
My understanding is that the Hauppauge software includes a bootp and/or dhcp server that handles the MVP itself, while Sage does not and requires an additional DHCP server.

Also, make sure that you go into the Windows Services list and set the MediaXXX services to Manual and reboot.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:26 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdnttoker
My understanding is that the Hauppauge software includes a bootp and/or dhcp server that handles the MVP itself, while Sage does not and requires an additional DHCP server.

Also, make sure that you go into the Windows Services list and set the MediaXXX services to Manual and reboot.
Well I've uninstalled the Hauppauge software so there's no services to change. Would it be worth a shot to disable the DHCP server on my router and install something like tftpd32 to use as the DHCP server - possibly setting a reserved IP for the MVP's MAC address?
Old 10-26-2006, 02:08 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Well I've uninstalled the Hauppauge software so there's no services to change. Would it be worth a shot to disable the DHCP server on my router and install something like tftpd32 to use as the DHCP server - possibly setting a reserved IP for the MVP's MAC address?
Yeah, I'd give it a go.

I think you have to edit some text files to assign a static IP in TFTPD32 though...
Old 10-26-2006, 02:20 PM
Sage Aficionado

Or see if you can try clearing the DHCP tables on the router. Not sure how Linksys does it, but my Belkin routers have an option to do that. I assume that you DO see the IP in the DHCP table on the router? Do you have any static IP's assigned that could be conflicting with the DHCP range?

Another possibility might be to just shut EVERYTHING on your network down (including all routers, bridges, etc.) and start powering things up one-by-one.

Also, maybe you could connect the MVP to the router directly with a caable. Maybe your wireless bridge is causing conflicts?

HTPC: AMD ASUS M2N-E Socket AM2 Motherboard; Athlon 64 3200+ Orleans 2.0GHz; 2GB RAM; eVGA 256MB Geforce 7300LE; 1x40GB IDE HDD (OS), 2xSeagate Barracuda 320GB SATA HDD (Recordings); Antec Overture II Case; Windows XP Pro SP2; SageTV v6.5
STV: SageMC
Video sources: Currently, none. I'm using SageTV for Music, Photos, and Video playback.
Old 10-26-2006, 03:32 PM
Sage User

Well, it's the wired MVP so it's already connected via cable. I've tried clearing the DHCP table and that did no good. Dynamic IPs are .100 and up. Static IPs that I have are .1-99 so they aren't in the same range.

Last night I also connected the SageTV server directly to the router/switch bypassing the bridge incase something was going on there but that didn't help either - I might have mentioned this earlier.

I tried using dhcpd32 for the DHCP server. It works as far as handing out the IPs go but that's all. I'm still at a loss. I have it configured to give the MVP a specific address.

In sage.properties, what should the value of 'miniserver/gateway' be? I have:
Quote:
miniserver/gateway=192.168.0.1
Should this be my gateway address (192.168.1.1)/my SageTV Servers address/or is it set this way for a reason?

I also added:
Quote:
miniserver/clients=MVP/00:50:C2:24:5F:91/192.168.1.100
to my sage.properties file but no go. I'm assigning 192.168.1.100 to the MVP.

This is the FIRST time SageTV gives me ANY sort of problem. I can understand why it might be difficult to get going but it is a shame it doesn't match the rest of my experience.

Last edited by AtomicPenguin; 10-26-2006 at 09:01 PM.
Old 10-27-2006, 06:16 AM
Sage User

Just wanted to post an update that I have a support ticket in with SageTV on this issue.

I still need to know what the value of 'miniserver/gateway' in the sage.properties file should be.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:08 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
I still need to know what the value of 'miniserver/gateway' in the sage.properties file should be.
My value is the same as yours. I am not sure of the purpose of it.

My sage server has 2 NICs. 192.168.0.xx and 192.168.1.xx.

My internet gateway is 192.168.0.1. My MVPs(2) get their address via DHCP from a Linksys 4 port wired router in the 192.168.1.100+ range.
Old 10-28-2006, 06:27 AM
Sage User

Exclamation

Last night I tried a cross-over cable from the SageTV server to the MVP. I have a DHCP server on the SageTV server. This failed as well.

I'm beginning to think something's wrong with my unit. That's THREE systems, one running SageTV registered and two running SageTV trial, that I've tried to get the MVP to connect to and couldn't (they were not ALL on at the same time). Firewalls were either not installed or disabled while I was testing.

I'm still waiting to hear back from support though I can't imagine there would be much they could tell me.
Old 10-28-2006, 09:10 AM
Sage Icon

There is another thread on this issue. though I'm not sure it mentions anything you haven't already tried...

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20248

Clients: HD300 x2; HD200 x2; Placeshifter

Service: EPB Fiber (1Gb); OTA (we "cut the cord"); Netflix, Hulu, etc.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:52 AM
Sage User

Over the weekend I tested out the MVP on a friends network who is running a trial version of SageTV. We ended up getting the same results.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:23 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Firewalls were either not installed or disabled while I was testing.
You don't have one of the really huge useless firewalls on there do you? Norton or McAfee? If so uninstall and try again, disabling often doesn't help...

If not, are you running service mode?
unRAID Server: Intel Core i5 7600K, 48GB DDR4, 2x512GB PCIe M.2 Cache Pool, 2x10TB SATA3 Parity Drive, 3x8TB SATA Array, 1x hdHomeRun DVB-T2 Quattro, IPTV via xTeVe, unRAID 6.8.3, tvHeadEnd for recording back end, Emby
Clients: 3 Nvidia Shields, 3 FireTV, 3 Win10 Pro PC Clients