SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 10-31-2006, 02:35 PM
Sage Expert

LOw volume on imported DVDs

Low volume on DVD and on imported DVD media files.

SAGE TV recordings are fine.

WINDOWS appears OK, how do I adjust the low volume?

I tried the reg hak, but the instructions were not clear, and it didn't work.

I tried downloading the AC3 filter thing, again, over my head.

Hopw do I get the volume on some of the files up to where the rest of the files are?

NEW: DELL OPTIPLEX 755, 4GB MEM, ATI DVIX (DUAL) VIDEO, PVR-1250MCE & PVR-500MCE, 1.3TB HDD's
Old 10-31-2006, 02:38 PM
Sage Icon

Situations are different, but on my setup I have the Wave slider about halfway, and the S/PDIF slider at full. Volume is changed on a receiver and all are equal.

P
Old 10-31-2006, 03:26 PM
SageTVaholic

This same question was asked earlier today.

Here is the thread. I posted links pointing to a couple of other threads that describe what causes the problem and how to use AC3 filter or FFDshow to get around it.
Old 11-01-2006, 05:12 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade
This same question was asked earlier today.

Here is the thread. I posted links pointing to a couple of other threads that describe what causes the problem and how to use AC3 filter or FFDshow to get around it.
Been there, Read that.

My question is does SAGETV have any way of adjusting this, because I don't think I should have to download and install any filters or programs and have to learn them to have decent volume.

Using them wouldn't be such a bad thing, but there is no guide on what steps to take and I've tried them all, and all I got for playing around was a SAGETV not recognising my PVR cards, and so I had to got back and fix that. That god for system restore.

This sounds like a bug. I've tried to do the regedit thing, but for some reason it does not work or I'm not doing it right. Again, instructions are vauge, and messing with the reg can be dangerous.

NEW: DELL OPTIPLEX 755, 4GB MEM, ATI DVIX (DUAL) VIDEO, PVR-1250MCE & PVR-500MCE, 1.3TB HDD's
Old 11-01-2006, 05:26 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by broderp
My question is does SAGETV have any way of adjusting this, because I don't think I should have to download and install any filters or programs and have to learn them to have decent volume.
No.

Quote:
Using them wouldn't be such a bad thing, but there is no guide on what steps to take and I've tried them all, and all I got for playing around was a SAGETV not recognising my PVR cards, and so I had to got back and fix that. That god for system restore.
It's not that hard to setup. I don't know what you've tried, but it should not affect your capture card at all.

Quote:
This sounds like a bug. I've tried to do the regedit thing, but for some reason it does not work or I'm not doing it right. Again, instructions are vauge, and messing with the reg can be dangerous.
It is not a bug. There are many threads explaining what causes the problem. I have no idea why you'd be using regedit to try and normalize audio. If you use AC3 filter all you do is install it, change the settings in the control panel, and select it in Sage.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:11 PM
SageTVaholic

Actually SageTV installs AC3 filter for you by default. The solution is already installed on your PC. You just need to set the settings for it correctly to take advantage of it.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:25 PM
SageTVaholic

Alright, not trying to pick on anyone....

Quote:
My question is does SAGETV have any way of adjusting this,
No, Sage doesn't do any decoding itself, it relies on external filters.

Quote:
because I don't think I should have to download and install any filters or programs and have to learn them to have decent volume.
I'm still somewhat baffled by these comments, are you (all those who have this problem) using stereo analog outputs? Because I've never had a level problem with S/PDIF, either with my old Yamaha RX-V595A or my AVM-20. Don't recall having any problems when I was playing with using multichannel analog either. In fact, I believe my recordings are actually a lower level than DVDs for me. But basically there isn't a drastic difference between the two.

The only time I've run into an issue with low audio from AC3 (and I think that was a weird HD station) was when I was using stereo analog temporarilly and disabling "Normalize Matrix" fixed that.

Quote:
This sounds like a bug.
I agree with Gerry, it's not a bug, at least not a Sage bug.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:26 PM
SageTVaholic

Either that or if it's only a problem with imported DVDs and not DVDs from the drive, then I'd guess something happened to the audio when the DVD was ripped.
Old 11-04-2006, 04:37 PM
Sage Expert

I appreciate the replies and didn't mean to sound so negative.

stanger89,

I an using a simple anolog output (although I do have spdif out as well). I do not think it's a windows or hardware issue because outside of sage, my volumes for the system are perfectly normal if not a bit on the loud side.

I can play those ripped DVD's in media player or WINDVD or any other number of applications and the sound level is normal, so I don't think it's a ripping issue.

The only time this issue surfaces is within SAGETV, hense my comment thinking it is a SAGE issue or bug. Not being a programmer or knowing of how sage TV or these systems work intimately, I cant be as certain as you guys who are sure it's not a 'bug'. If a file workes everywere else, except in one application, to ME (and I may be wrong) that says there is SOMETHING different about the programs use of that file or other third party pieces that it utilizes to control or display the file.

QUOTE:
" If you use AC3 filter all you do is install it, change the settings in the control panel, and select it in Sage."

This is the kind of answer I found when searching ther posts. To ME, this brings up more questions that answers, yet most people (myself included, so I mean no offense)when they post answers like this, forget that the poster of the question is not on the same level as they are technically. Some of us users out here would simply like to see (Since I'm being told SAGETV installs AC3 by default now) a slider control or a numeric volume level control WITHIN SAGE that says: DVD LEVEL.

What questions you say?
1. Is it installed with SAGE or a separate download? I asssume from what I read, its installed with sage, even though I see links to the program while reading the forum.

2. Change what settings?? I'm not even sure where to look for it or if I have it installed, let alone what chages to make.

3. I assume there is a selection within sage in the detailes setup, but is it in the main settigs or the dvd oones ..or both??

Sounds silly to most, but if this was a EEE forum and someone asked the question: "How do I calculate the fuse requirements on the input of a AC to DC powersupply capable of producing 5V at 10A continous." And my answer states to use Ohms law as a tool, and I don't tell you the formula and you don't know what E or R means in the formula....your lost. To me it's the same difference.

Thank you for putting up with my silly questions, the picture is starting to get slightly clearer.

I will look for AC3 filter in the control panel, see if adjusting it is clear to figure out, then find it somewheres in sage and use it as my default choice for audio...right?

Old 11-04-2006, 05:06 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I appreciate the replies and didn't mean to sound so negative.

stanger89,

I an using a simple anolog output (although I do have spdif out as well). I do not think it's a windows or hardware issue because outside of sage, my volumes for the system are perfectly normal if not a bit on the loud side.

I can play those ripped DVD's in media player or WINDVD or any other number of applications and the sound level is normal, so I don't think it's a ripping issue.

The only time this issue surfaces is within SAGETV, hense my comment thinking it is a SAGE issue or bug. Not being a programmer or knowing of how sage TV or these systems work intimately, I cant be as certain as you guys who are sure it's not a 'bug'. If a file workes everywere else, except in one application, to ME (and I may be wrong) that says there is SOMETHING different about the programs use of that file or other third party pieces that it utilizes to control or display the file.
Then you need to figure out what decoder/config other programs are using and duplicate it in SageTV. If WMP is fine, then Tools-Options-DVD-Advanced and see what it's using.

Theoretically setting Audio Decoder and Audio Renderer in Sage will get you what WMP is using, but not always.

Quote:
What questions you say?
1. Is it installed with SAGE or a separate download? I asssume from what I read, its installed with sage, even though I see links to the program while reading the forum.
The not-latest version (which I think is "beta") is installed by default. Sage doesn't install a link to the AC3Filter control panel, the external downloads of AC3Filter install a Start Menu link to the AC3Filter control panel.

Quote:
2. Change what settings?? I'm not even sure where to look for it or if I have it installed, let alone what chages to make.
AC3Filter, there's nothing (other than choosing decoder) in Sage that affects the audio output.

Quote:
3. I assume there is a selection within sage in the detailes setup, but is it in the main settigs or the dvd oones ..or both??
It's in the decoder config, not in SageTV.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:18 AM
Sage Advanced User

Just to try and clarrify for anyone else that's new to using sage or external decoders. I'll try and do a quick summary of what they are saying here.

1.) Download the latest AC3Filter from the official site.
2.) Install the AC3filter(The current version 111 will open a tray icon when it's in use for adjustments or you can use the offline configuration utility which is placed in a folder on the start menu under AC3filter.)
3.) Under Setup->Detailed Setup->Video/Adio select the Audio decoder for MPEG2 to be AC3filter.
4.) Now you would modify the AC3filters settings using the tray icon when something is playing or with the offline config.

5.)
a.)If you have 2 speakers turn off the Normalize Matrix option under Equalizer which may be enough. If not boost the gain a little as well.
b.)If you have multiple speakers, If you look under the different options there is a Master Gain - try raising this to your liking during playback.

The other options is a codec not discussed. AC3filter uses too much CPU in my setup and I'm not sure why. I have a pretty beefy box. Athlon 64, 1GB, Nvidia 5950, etc.

I hope this helps someone. Please don't bust on me too hard experts if I got something slightly wrong.

Thanks,
-Nyle