SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > The SageTV Community
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

The SageTV Community Here's the place to discuss what's worth recording, HTPC deals at retail stores, events happening outside of your home theater, and pretty much anything else you'd like. (No For-Sale posts)

View Poll Results: How much do you watch on average per week?
0-15 hours 16 41.03%
16-25 hours 17 43.59%
26-35 hours 2 5.13%
More than 35 hours 4 10.26%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-31-2006, 11:53 PM
Sage Aficionado

How much do you watch per week?

Just curious...I got hooked on this hobby about a year ago as I wanted to catch all the espisodes of Smallville, SG-1, and SG-1 Atlantis that I kept missing due to a variety of reasons. I now find myself with a wife that is now a huge fan as well with Grey's Anatomy and a number of "Happy/Sad" shows getting recorded. In addition, there are the kids shows we are recording for those times when we need one, etc. As a result, I now find myself with over a solid week worth of stuff to watch ... at least.

So, in attempt to see how guilty I should feel about this...

How much TV do you watch on average per week?
Old 11-01-2006, 01:36 AM
Sage Icon

Yeah, STV makes it easy to watch the shows you want when you want. At first I was recording a lot of things to catch up on missed episodes etc. Nowdays with all the backlog gone, I have become a bit selective on what I watch, limiting my viewing to about 5 series, nightly news and 1-2 movies per week.
Old 11-01-2006, 05:31 AM
SageTVaholic

Where is "I don't want to know".

It would be cool if Sage had usage stats. Of course having those might make some of us ground ourselves from the TV for awhile. I know I watch way too much because of Sage. In the past I'd sit down to watch something and get bored because nothing good was on so I'd turn it off. Now there is always something to watch.

Last edited by blade; 11-01-2006 at 05:33 AM.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:25 PM
Sage Expert

I just counted eight, 1 hour, and 2 half hour shows that I have set to record each week. I probably would be watching Friday Night Lights too, but for some reason the affiliate here broadcast the 1st two in SD.

I'd estimate I also watch 2 to 3 movies each week (only in HD though). I also watch a good deal of sports, but almost always live.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:31 PM
Sage Icon

More than 35 hours

I sure the 3 that voted so are joking
Old 11-01-2006, 12:33 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffdaddy
More than 35 hours

I sure the 3 that voted so are joking

I doubt it! Heh on the opening weeked off the NFL I probably watched at least 20 hours of football alone (counting college ball)!
Old 11-01-2006, 12:34 PM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via ICQ to teknubic Send a message via AIM to teknubic Send a message via MSN to teknubic Send a message via Yahoo to teknubic
A good way to justify a DVR and even the time spent in front of the TV is to calculate how much you're not watching. Charging through an hour long show in just about 40 minutes is huge. Nightly, on average, we watch 2 1/2 hours of shows in just over an hour and a half. Football is even better since there's right about 30 seconds between down and hike under normal play.
So whereas normally I would be in the 16-25 group, I'm actually in the 0-15 group in terms of time the projector is on.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:15 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknubic
A good way to justify a DVR and even the time spent in front of the TV is to calculate how much you're not watching. Charging through an hour long show in just about 40 minutes is huge. Nightly, on average, we watch 2 1/2 hours of shows in just over an hour and a half. Football is even better since there's right about 30 seconds between down and hike under normal play.
So whereas normally I would be in the 16-25 group, I'm actually in the 0-15 group in terms of time the projector is on.
It also depends on how much of the actual program that you watch. I tend to skip through the uninteresting sections, especially if it is a program that I record "just in case."
TV Storage: 11 TB (4x1.5TB for recording, 5TB for archive)
Clients: 3
SageTV Extenders:5
Old 11-01-2006, 02:06 PM
SageTVaholic

I'm at a maximum of about 8-9 hours a week. I just don't have time to watch much TV anymore, and the recordings are building up to prove it. I just checked last night and I was up to 411 programs recorded.

The sad part is when I do get spare time (after everyone else is in bed), I spend more time tinkering with my htpc setup than actually watching TV.

Mike
Old 11-01-2006, 02:22 PM
Sage Icon

my watching varies greatly with the seasons. In VT--when its cold (like 3 seasons out of the year) i watch much more tv than I do in the summer/warm months. Hard to plunk down and watch tv at 8pm when its still really light outside. But come winter and when its dark at 4pm----whole other story
Server: Athlon 2000XP; 1GB Kingston Ram; 250GB Seagate; 160GB Seagate; 160GB Western Digital; Lite-on DVD player; Hauppauge Rosyln; Hauppauge PVR-150; ATI AIW 7500; Actisys 200L; running stock v5 .stv

Client: MVP Extender running SageMC
Old 11-01-2006, 06:16 PM
Sage Aficionado

I watch 0 hours of liveTV, currently around 6 hours of DVR'd shows with the commercials removed. With the commercials included, I'd probably watch 10 hours of shows.